The Annual I Should Be GM Mock - V2 on Pg2

jetsfan4life51

I pasted this from a word doc and it won't unbold.

Expiring Contracts

Marcus Maye

Jameson Crowder

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

Morgan Moses

Jared Davis

Keelan Cole

Nathan Shepherd

Alex Lewis

LaMarcus Joyner

Foley Fatukasi

Braxton Berrios

Tyler Kroft

Kyle Phillips

Tim Ward

Javelin Guidry

Vinny Curry

Tevin Coleman

Sharrod Neasman

Mike White

Del’Shawn Phillips

Jeff Smith

Matt Amendola

Re-Sign

Morgan Moses

**Foley Fatukasi (I put ** because I foresee him not getting an offer)

Sharrod Neasman

Mike White

Javelin Guidry

Cut

Blake Cashman

GVR

Free Agent Signings

Safety Quandre Diggs

• Seattle has paid Jamal Adams and will not be allocating so many dollars towards Safety.  The Jets swoop in and get some sort of veteran presence.  We need a minimum one starting Safety in FA.  Cannot rely on Ashtyn Davis and rookies.

Tight End Zach Ertz

• We are missing a safety net for Zach Wilson.  LaFleur has loved using two TE sets early but it has not been working.  We need a starting caliber TE badly and this allows Yeboah to continue to develop if not ready.

Wide Receiver Tim Patrick

• Another big body who can play on the outside so we can let Moore work the slot.  Won’t have to break the bank for him but we really need a solid vet.  Moore and Mims have not shown enough yet.

Draft Picks

1a. Aiden Hutchinson DE, Michigan

• This team has no pulse.  Yeah Mosley helps out a lot but we need an actual DL to take over games.  He’s honestly a perfect skillset to add to Lawson’s explosiveness off the edge.  He has a ton of heart and plays hard.  I think he’s exactly what this defense needs to take a step forward.

1b. Tyler Linderbaum C, Iowa

• Pretty self explanatory.  We all saw how important Mangold was to this team.  This helps two-fold by sliding McGovern to RG for a year.  Three first round picks along the OL should finally pay off.

2a. Devin Lloyd LB, Utah

• We need an actual LB patrolling this defense.  I like the idea of having Nas and Sherwood but Lloyd flies all over the field.  Would improve the run defense and is a great blitzer too.  The middle of the field and check downs are killing us.

2b. Brandon Joseph S, Northwestern

• Absolute ball magnet, which this defense sorely lacks.  May not be a true FS but instead of going Kyle Hamilton in round 1 we can get an edge rusher then pick up Joseph in the 2nd.  May need to flip this pick with Lloyd.

3. Zay Flowers WR, Boston College

• We have CD, Patrick and Mims on the outside and Moore in the slot.  Flowers is going to be the burner that takes the top off the defense.  This could help out Moore as well.

4a. Yusuf Corker S, Kentucky

• Rangy FS who is reliable in coverage but lack of ball skills has him drop.  I think the Jets can get away with the same strategy they did last year with CB.

4b. Insert RG here

• Using the next two picks to double dip on offensive line.  Don’t know who is good in this range yet.

5a. Aaron Frost OG/OT, Nevada

• Plays RT but may fit better at RG.  Either way it’s nice versatility.

5b. Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan

• Not huge but is bigger and a tough runner.  I am a big Ty Johnson fan but Haskins will take over after next season.

Thoughts

It’s tough to gage where to go.  The offense has pieces and talent but cannot execute.  The defense just looks abysmal at times and has no playmakers.  I think the two most important things overall are 1) stabilizing the offense with one of the best Center prospects in a decade and 2) bring in playmakers to the defense.  Before the season I would have went all offense again but this defense needs more work than the offense.  If we get Lawson back, add in Hutchinson then have speedy Lloyd and ballhawking Joseph then I think we have something there.  We have been decent with Fant, Moses and Edoga at the Tackle spots so I think we get Becton back and let one of them play LT or RT.  McGovern should be a tremendous upgrade over GVR so that settles things for a year.  I skipped TE because I think if we get Ertz, or even an OJ Howard, we can roll with Griffin and Yeboah.  Safety and WR you can pick whichever FAs are capable of being a starter.  The defense should be lightyears ahead with a pass rush and all of these rookies having an extra year experience.  The offense on paper will be better with an actual threat at TE, a year under Zach’s belt and a big upgrade up the middle at Center.

• Like 2

I don't know much about actual prospects but I do love the positions and styles.

At this point I think it's fair to say our biggest needs are:

• Finish off the OL and improve the run blocking
  • As has been the case since John Abraham left, pass rush (even with Lawson coming back, you can't have too much)
  • Someone who can cause turnovers
  • Someone who can actually play linebacker

Quandre Diggs is an interesting one and I like it. We're in dire need of a veteran presence in our secondary too.

I wouldn't mind re-signing Keelan Cole, who's looked good at times when we haven't been a complete dumpster fire on offense. Patrick is potentially better though. I love Crowder but it's probably time to let him play for a contender now that Moore is breaking out. Gase isn't here anymore, but it feels like we'll re-sign Berrios.

I see Ertz only playing for a contender, but we definitely need to bring in a decent TE. We've been terrible there for too long.

I'm hoping the good doctor can show us something this year and could end up worth re-signing.

I'd be happy with this. We need talent everywhere, but if Zach steadily improves then I think this would be a team that would hover more around .500 than the garbage of our last two seasons.

• Like 1

Maye will not be resigned, so the Jets will get a compensatory pick, Crowder could be resigned but I see the Jets moving on. Do we want to spend millions on Fatukasi, seeing he is a one dimensional player? Tardif I see as a 2-3 year starter, goodbye VanROTTEN! Shep is gone, never developed into anything even in a back up role, Cashman for all his positives is always injured time to move on. Moses is a statue and acts like a door to the QB, sign him to a back up contract or move on.

Guidry isn't going anywhere either is Barrios. Mike White is nothing special and is on a one year contract. Sign Flacco year to year and have someone who could at least give you a chance.

Unless we sign some kind of super star player, a difference maker, we don't need retreads. Any FA signing should be an immediate impact player like Aaron Donald or Michael Brockers.

I see where we're "butt in" on a pass rusher, But I tell you the best defensive player coming out of this years draft is DeMarvin Leal and as bad as the O line is the D line is dung, and the backups are worse. 

We are desperate for some good LB's outside and inside, forget this dung about developing guys who in 2-3 years will be capable NFL players. We need ballers, not potential ballers.

I don't want to wait 3-5 years for players to develop. 

We need a starting C, G, T, DT, S, TE, RB and you can be sure it will not be all in one draft. If we can hit on the first 4 picks and then hit on a 5th rounder like we did with Carter II. I would consider it a great draft.

Truth be told the Jets need a total overhaul.

Leal would be first on my list followed by Linderbaum, Wydermyer at TE, followed by a G Kinard would be good here, round 3 Brandon Joseph S, and Cunningham at T. The rest of the best or BPA is the ticket.

But I would really be happy if JD would trade down still get the DT/TE/C/G, they covet and grab a few more draft choices.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think we got screwed here. This draft class looks pretty poor to me all the way around. Ya you have your top 2 3 guys but after that it is a massive fall. We will end up pick 4 and miss out on those guys and burn pick 4 and 10 with nothing to show as usual. 

I think it is a little deeper than that.  The good thing is that we have needs all over the place.  Since we are bereft of talent we should be able to get BPA AND need with our first two picks.  Again.  Sigh.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think we got screwed here. This draft class looks pretty poor to me all the way around. Ya you have your top 2 3 guys but after that it is a massive fall. We will end up pick 4 and miss out on those guys and burn pick 4 and 10 with nothing to show as usual. 

Don't like the players or positions?  

On 11/14/2021 at 7:01 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I pasted this from a word doc and it won't unbold.

Expiring Contracts

Marcus Maye

Jameson Crowder

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

Morgan Moses

Jared Davis

Keelan Cole

Nathan Shepherd

Alex Lewis

LaMarcus Joyner

Foley Fatukasi

Braxton Berrios

Tyler Kroft

Kyle Phillips

Tim Ward

Javelin Guidry

Vinny Curry

Tevin Coleman

Sharrod Neasman

Mike White

Del’Shawn Phillips

Jeff Smith

Matt Amendola

Re-Sign

Morgan Moses

**Foley Fatukasi (I put ** because I foresee him not getting an offer)

Sharrod Neasman

Mike White

Javelin Guidry

Cut

Blake Cashman

GVR

Free Agent Signings

Safety Quandre Diggs

• Seattle has paid Jamal Adams and will not be allocating so many dollars towards Safety.  The Jets swoop in and get some sort of veteran presence.  We need a minimum one starting Safety in FA.  Cannot rely on Ashtyn Davis and rookies.

Tight End Zach Ertz

• We are missing a safety net for Zach Wilson.  LaFleur has loved using two TE sets early but it has not been working.  We need a starting caliber TE badly and this allows Yeboah to continue to develop if not ready.

Wide Receiver Tim Patrick

• Another big body who can play on the outside so we can let Moore work the slot.  Won’t have to break the bank for him but we really need a solid vet.  Moore and Mims have not shown enough yet.

Draft Picks

1a. Aiden Hutchinson DE, Michigan

• This team has no pulse.  Yeah Mosley helps out a lot but we need an actual DL to take over games.  He’s honestly a perfect skillset to add to Lawson’s explosiveness off the edge.  He has a ton of heart and plays hard.  I think he’s exactly what this defense needs to take a step forward.

1b. Tyler Linderbaum C, Iowa

• Pretty self explanatory.  We all saw how important Mangold was to this team.  This helps two-fold by sliding McGovern to RG for a year.  Three first round picks along the OL should finally pay off.

2a. Devin Lloyd LB, Utah

• We need an actual LB patrolling this defense.  I like the idea of having Nas and Sherwood but Lloyd flies all over the field.  Would improve the run defense and is a great blitzer too.  The middle of the field and check downs are killing us.

2b. Brandon Joseph S, Northwestern

• Absolute ball magnet, which this defense sorely lacks.  May not be a true FS but instead of going Kyle Hamilton in round 1 we can get an edge rusher then pick up Joseph in the 2nd.  May need to flip this pick with Lloyd.

3. Zay Flowers WR, Boston College

• We have CD, Patrick and Mims on the outside and Moore in the slot.  Flowers is going to be the burner that takes the top off the defense.  This could help out Moore as well.

4a. Yusuf Corker S, Kentucky

• Rangy FS who is reliable in coverage but lack of ball skills has him drop.  I think the Jets can get away with the same strategy they did last year with CB.

4b. Insert RG here

• Using the next two picks to double dip on offensive line.  Don’t know who is good in this range yet.

5a. Aaron Frost OG/OT, Nevada

• Plays RT but may fit better at RG.  Either way it’s nice versatility.

5b. Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan

• Not huge but is bigger and a tough runner.  I am a big Ty Johnson fan but Haskins will take over after next season.

Thoughts

It’s tough to gage where to go.  The offense has pieces and talent but cannot execute.  The defense just looks abysmal at times and has no playmakers.  I think the two most important things overall are 1) stabilizing the offense with one of the best Center prospects in a decade and 2) bring in playmakers to the defense.  Before the season I would have went all offense again but this defense needs more work than the offense.  If we get Lawson back, add in Hutchinson then have speedy Lloyd and ballhawking Joseph then I think we have something there.  We have been decent with Fant, Moses and Edoga at the Tackle spots so I think we get Becton back and let one of them play LT or RT.  McGovern should be a tremendous upgrade over GVR so that settles things for a year.  I skipped TE because I think if we get Ertz, or even an OJ Howard, we can roll with Griffin and Yeboah.  Safety and WR you can pick whichever FAs are capable of being a starter.  The defense should be lightyears ahead with a pass rush and all of these rookies having an extra year experience.  The offense on paper will be better with an actual threat at TE, a year under Zach’s belt and a big upgrade up the middle at Center.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, Big T said:

Maye will not be resigned, so the Jets will get a compensatory pick, Crowder could be resigned but I see the Jets moving on. Do we want to spend millions on Fatukasi, seeing he is a one dimensional player? Tardif I see as a 2-3 year starter, goodbye VanROTTEN! Shep is gone, never developed into anything even in a back up role, Cashman for all his positives is always injured time to move on. Moses is a statue and acts like a door to the QB, sign him to a back up contract or move on.

Guidry isn't going anywhere either is Barrios. Mike White is nothing special and is on a one year contract. Sign Flacco year to year and have someone who could at least give you a chance.

Unless we sign some kind of super star player, a difference maker, we don't need retreads. Any FA signing should be an immediate impact player like Aaron Donald or Michael Brockers.

I see where we're "butt in" on a pass rusher, But I tell you the best defensive player coming out of this years draft is DeMarvin Leal and as bad as the O line is the D line is dung, and the backups are worse. 

We are desperate for some good LB's outside and inside, forget this dung about developing guys who in 2-3 years will be capable NFL players. We need ballers, not potential ballers.

I don't want to wait 3-5 years for players to develop. 

We need a starting C, G, T, DT, S, TE, RB and you can be sure it will not be all in one draft. If we can hit on the first 4 picks and then hit on a 5th rounder like we did with Carter II. I would consider it a great draft.

Truth be told the Jets need a total overhaul.

Leal would be first on my list followed by Linderbaum, Wydermyer at TE, followed by a G Kinard would be good here, round 3 Brandon Joseph S, and Cunningham at T. The rest of the best or BPA is the ticket.

But I would really be happy if JD would trade down still get the DT/TE/C/G, they covet and grab a few more draft choices.

I do want Linderbaum, real bad, after him we have so many position to fill where the hell to we begin?

Where we are sitting currently on draft boards  3,7,51,67,115,121,145,167.  If J.D. is smart he moves down from the 3rd pick (if we wind up drafting there) but only 1-3 picks down, say to the 6th pick. 

Grab a few more draft choices and still wind up with 2 starters in the first round. But lets be clear about something here, whoever we draft in the fist 5-6 picks should be able to come in a start day one. Otherwise we lose. The Jets added 5 players in this draft who wound up being starters or starting calibre players in Wilson, Carter, Carter2, Moore, and AVT.

This has to be the reality of who the Jets draft in 2022. Now, with no particular player wants just looking at the board and who falls to the Jets our needs are so vast that if the draft we're to fall this way. Though it may not be according to immediate needs but players who could be impactful immediately this is the way we should approach it.

3. Hamilton S

7. Leal DT/DE

36. Wydemyer TE

51. Breese Hall RB

67. Jarred Patterson C

115. Ben Brown G

121 Daniel Falalele T

145 Pola-Mao S

167. Mauga LB

This is only a simulation, but it gives you an insight into what would improve the Jets should the draft fall in any particular order. 

IF the draft fell in this manner, the Jets would have in the top 5 picks perhaps 6 players who could come in and make an impact both defensively and offensively, is it perfect? No, but the defense would be adding 2 pro bowl caliber players and shore up a weak D. Giving Wilson better weapons would be a boast to the O and adding a C,G, T by round 4 would be incredible knowing that this years draft is loaded on the defensive lines and offensive lines.

I'm not saying the draft will fall in this way, but I wouldn't be sad if it did.

4 hours ago, Big T said:

3. Hamilton S

7. Leal DT/DE

36. Wydemyer TE

51. Breese Hall RB

67. Jarred Patterson C

115. Ben Brown G

121 Daniel Falalele T

145 Pola-Mao S

167. Mauga LB

Why is everyone so high on Wydermyer as the number 1 TE prospect?  Serious question. Also, I would forsake RB that high. Wait until next year to see if the OL actually improves.

On 11/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Don't like the players or positions?  

No its not the mock it is this draft. I just don't see great talent like in years past. If Mac Jones was coming out this year he would be the number 1 pick so that tells you how bad the talent is. I think the Oregon guy and Stingly will be gone by the first 3 picks and we will be out as usual. 

19 hours ago, xrade said:

Why is everyone so high on Wydermyer as the number 1 TE prospect?  Serious question. Also, I would forsake RB that high. Wait until next year to see if the OL actually improves.

Carter looks like he’s a starting RB for us. So can’t see us spending too valuable of a pick on a RB. There’s no star TE this draft and that’s why they’re all kinda bunched together. A lot of guys in that very athletic but just an ok blocker mold this draft. Regardless TE needs to be addressed somehow. I could see us playing Yeboah by the end of the year and he’s that athletic poor blocker mold. I don’t think he does enough for us to think he’s an answer. So I think we still look at that kind of guy in the draft.

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Carter looks like he’s a starting RB for us. So can’t see us spending too valuable of a pick on a RB. There’s no star TE this draft and that’s why they’re all kinda bunched together. A lot of guys in that very athletic but just an ok blocker mold this draft. Regardless TE needs to be addressed somehow. I could see us playing Yeboah by the end of the year and he’s that athletic poor blocker mold. I don’t think he does enough for us to think he’s an answer. So I think we still look at that kind of guy in the draft.

It’s just that Wydermyer has not produced.  10 games, 35 Rec, 474 yds, 4 TD. This absolutely does not scream day 1 or even day two pick. McBride has double all that but only 1 TD. The point is that it is not a good year for TE and I hate the idea of reaching. I would prefer we wait until day 3. I would prefer it even more to get one in FA. There should be several to choose from.

2023 looks like it could have a couple of good TE’s.