The Annual I Should Be GM Mock - V2 on Pg2

jetsfan4life51

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Carter looks like he’s a starting RB for us. So can’t see us spending too valuable of a pick on a RB. There’s no star TE this draft and that’s why they’re all kinda bunched together. A lot of guys in that very athletic but just an ok blocker mold this draft. Regardless TE needs to be addressed somehow. I could see us playing Yeboah by the end of the year and he’s that athletic poor blocker mold. I don’t think he does enough for us to think he’s an answer. So I think we still look at that kind of guy in the draft.

I'd rather grab Uzomah or Howard so we have someone who can play right away while letting us spend a 2nd day pick on a position like LB.

• 3 weeks later...

If the Jets and in particular J.D. desires to make headway by adding quality players to the team then there is no way he can stay in the top 10 draft wise without drafting down if the occasion permits. The Jets can add many more players to the team this year and next by gaining more draft capitol.

Otherwise the Jets will come away with 3-4 players who will make them more competitive. Draft down, and regardless of need to some extent take the best player on the board. If WR than WR, if LB same, PR, it doesn't matter to an extent if you are adding more draft capitol to the team. 

So if we come away with additional number 2's, or 3's, or 1st rounders next year, then that has to be the mindset of this team. Because at the pace this team is taking it will be 5 years before you really see any results.

Speed it up, by amassing draft compensation and adding more quality 1,2,3 rounders to the team.

Still keeping the same mock, however things may change depending on the Becton news by the end of the year.  If he's really 370+ now then I'm making him compete for RT with a vet and draft a LT.

And Safety may have to move to Round 3 and we get WR.  Davis is a bust, Mims is a bust, Crowder is likely gone.  We need something besides Moore going forward.

For those who want a big time CB, I think we need to build pass rush and see what Year 2 has in store for our young DBs, then we make the top draft pick for a CB.  But I'm also curious how defenses perform after drafting top 10-15 CBs.  It's usually the pass rush that elevates the team.

Here is an update:

Let's get defense out of the way fast.  We need impact players at ALL three levels.  I would like to see a vet Safety brought in and maybe a vet CB.  In all honesty I want both Hall and Echols starting, along with Carter at Nickel.  I would rather fix the pass rush, LB and S.  Must take advantage of Edge in the 1st and LB depth in the 2nd.

Regarding the offense, I think this offense should revolve around the OL and RBs (at least short term) and do it the smart way like NE is with Jones.  The OL will likely have two picks in the top 4 rounds.  Grab a TE for a safety blanket for Zach, and ease in Yeboah.  A physical up the middle runner to pair with Carter.  This will make things easier for Zach.  We need reliable players to get him in a rhythm.  IDC if we revert back to Sanchez for a little bit and just run the crap out of the football.  But this will open things up for Moore and Davis.  We need a 3rd WR so Moore can play slot and Davis not get a ton of attention.  He is great when he is second fiddle.

Free Agent Signings

Quarterback Jameis Winston

• Zach needs competition and it’s unlikely teams pay for Winston to start outright.

Safety Quandre Diggs

• Seattle has paid Jamal Adams and will not be allocating so many dollars towards Safety.  The Jets swoop in and get some sort of veteran presence.  We need a minimum one starting Safety in FA.  Cannot rely on Ashtyn Davis and rookies.

Tight End OJ Howard

• Very talented TE but hasn’t blossomed due to injuries and always splitting time with other TEs.  A bit of a gamble but Zach really needs a big, reliable target at TE.  He could blow up but he will also allow Yeboah to get some action as well.

Wide Receiver Michael Gallup

• We need a vet WR but one who can work outside.  I won’t pretend to know his usage but I would think he can work outside and Moore gets moved to the slot.  Regardless, one of the better WRs in FA who may see a chance for more balls in NY.

Vet CB, DT

Draft Picks

1a. Aiden Hutchinson DE, Michigan

• This team has no pulse.  Yeah Mosley helps out a lot but we need an actual DL to take over games.  He’s honestly a perfect skillset to add to Lawson’s explosiveness off the edge.  He has a ton of heart and plays hard.  I think he’s exactly what this defense needs to take a step forward.  Would cover up a ton of issues.

1b. Ikem Ekwonu OT/OG, 

• I really think we may see a team like Philly, who has a ton of draft picks, jump up to grab someone like Stingley but JD doesn’t want to miss out on a top tier OT.  Ikem has versatility which is going to be a theme for this OL.  Becton can play LT/RT.  Ikem OT/OG.  AVT OG/OT.  I'm sure any Center we draft can play OG.  Grabbing another top 10 OT puts the heat on Becton and slides him to RT giving him a wakeup call.  If he doesn’t work out we ship him off to a desperate team while we have our LT taken care of. If the board shakes out differently with the 1st pick then I see a trade down for sure.

2a. Nakobe Dean LB, Georgia

• We need an actual LB patrolling and leading this defense.  I like the idea of having Nas and Sherwood but Dean is an actual LB.  Athletic and can tackle, has experience leading the best defense in the SEC. The middle of the field and check downs are killing us.  5 sacks and 2 INTs is what I’m talking about!  Watching his highlights he is covering the parts of the field where this defense is getting gashed.

2b. Brandon Joseph S, Northwestern

• Absolute ball magnet, which this defense sorely lacks.  May not be a true FS but instead of going Kyle Hamilton in round 1 we can get an edge rusher then pick up Joseph in the 2nd. Starts at FS from Day 1 opposite Diggs, Davis rotates in.

3. Alec Lindstrom C, Boston College

• Possibly the final piece to the line, but finally a stabilizing Center.  If he can’t start year one we still have McGovern.  Ideally McGovern slides over to RG for a year.

4a. Yusuf Corker S, Kentucky

• Rangy FS who is reliable in coverage but lack of ball skills has him drop.  I think the Jets can get away with the same strategy they did last year with CB.  Bring in multiple guys and see who competes.  Saleh preaches don't give up the deep ball, he can be that deep Safety that maybe allows our CBs to be more physical knowing they actually have a safety net.

4b. Khalil Shakir WR, Boise State

• I was looking for a one trick pony burner, because I think Wilson really needs one, but found Shakir.  A more complete WR but still has the deep threat ability.  Looks very reliable underneath in the slot.  Great depth to have but if we have someone besides Moore who can take the top off especially after PA with this run game, that would be great.

5a. Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan

• Tough runner in between the tackles who will be a great goal line/short yardage back to compliment Carter.  Not the receiving threat of some guys who would be great to have in the 3rd/4th but other needs took precedence.  Will be a much better version of Ty Johnson.

5b. Kicker

• We really need to find one

• Like 1

See no way Hutch makes it to us. Wishful thinking, like when we hoped Bosa would make it to us a few years ago. Kayvon is more realistic and even that might be a stretch.

I like Neal more so than Ikem. But I don't dislike the pick there. Bc I still value Ikem as a player.

Nakobe just doesn't fit our system at all. He's not good in coverage and he's short for a LB. So he's useless pretty much covering, which the system requires LBs to do.

Don't mind the rest of the draft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

See no way Hutch makes it to us. Wishful thinking, like when we hoped Bosa would make it to us a few years ago. Kayvon is more realistic and even that might be a stretch.

I like Neal more so than Ikem. But I don't dislike the pick there. Bc I still value Ikem as a player.

Nakobe just doesn't fit our system at all. He's not good in coverage and he's short for a LB. So he's useless pretty much covering, which the system requires LBs to do.

Don't mind the rest of the draft.

I have the Giants taking Neal after us. 

I’ll admit I’m all YouTube highlights and scouting reports. Dean looks like he’s been making plays within 10 yards in both the run game and coverage. This has been our weakness. I honestly like a handful of guys there, not married to him, but Lloyd is playing himself into the top half of round 1 so I had to choose someone else. I could easily take a FS there and LB later but the overall theme is fixing the middle of the both sides of the ball. Improve interior OL, TE and add a physical RB to compliment Carter. Then find a LB to take over the defense and have two Safeties who can patrol the middle of the field short and deep. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:26 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Here is an update:

Let's get defense out of the way fast.  We need impact players at ALL three levels.  I would like to see a vet Safety brought in and maybe a vet CB.  In all honesty I want both Hall and Echols starting, along with Carter at Nickel.  I would rather fix the pass rush, LB and S.  Must take advantage of Edge in the 1st and LB depth in the 2nd.

Regarding the offense, I think this offense should revolve around the OL and RBs (at least short term) and do it the smart way like NE is with Jones.  The OL will likely have two picks in the top 4 rounds.  Grab a TE for a safety blanket for Zach, and ease in Yeboah.  A physical up the middle runner to pair with Carter.  This will make things easier for Zach.  We need reliable players to get him in a rhythm.  IDC if we revert back to Sanchez for a little bit and just run the crap out of the football.  But this will open things up for Moore and Davis.  We need a 3rd WR so Moore can play slot and Davis not get a ton of attention.  He is great when he is second fiddle.

Free Agent Signings

Quarterback Jameis Winston

• Zach needs competition and it’s unlikely teams pay for Winston to start outright.

Safety Quandre Diggs

• Seattle has paid Jamal Adams and will not be allocating so many dollars towards Safety.  The Jets swoop in and get some sort of veteran presence.  We need a minimum one starting Safety in FA.  Cannot rely on Ashtyn Davis and rookies.

Tight End OJ Howard

• Very talented TE but hasn’t blossomed due to injuries and always splitting time with other TEs.  A bit of a gamble but Zach really needs a big, reliable target at TE.  He could blow up but he will also allow Yeboah to get some action as well.

Wide Receiver Michael Gallup

• We need a vet WR but one who can work outside.  I won’t pretend to know his usage but I would think he can work outside and Moore gets moved to the slot.  Regardless, one of the better WRs in FA who may see a chance for more balls in NY.

Vet CB, DT

Draft Picks

1a. Aiden Hutchinson DE, Michigan

• This team has no pulse.  Yeah Mosley helps out a lot but we need an actual DL to take over games.  He’s honestly a perfect skillset to add to Lawson’s explosiveness off the edge.  He has a ton of heart and plays hard.  I think he’s exactly what this defense needs to take a step forward.  Would cover up a ton of issues.

1b. Ikem Ekwonu OT/OG, 

• I really think we may see a team like Philly, who has a ton of draft picks, jump up to grab someone like Stingley but JD doesn’t want to miss out on a top tier OT.  Ikem has versatility which is going to be a theme for this OL.  Becton can play LT/RT.  Ikem OT/OG.  AVT OG/OT.  I'm sure any Center we draft can play OG.  Grabbing another top 10 OT puts the heat on Becton and slides him to RT giving him a wakeup call.  If he doesn’t work out we ship him off to a desperate team while we have our LT taken care of. If the board shakes out differently with the 1st pick then I see a trade down for sure.

2a. Nakobe Dean LB, Georgia

• We need an actual LB patrolling and leading this defense.  I like the idea of having Nas and Sherwood but Dean is an actual LB.  Athletic and can tackle, has experience leading the best defense in the SEC. The middle of the field and check downs are killing us.  5 sacks and 2 INTs is what I’m talking about!  Watching his highlights he is covering the parts of the field where this defense is getting gashed.

2b. Brandon Joseph S, Northwestern

• Absolute ball magnet, which this defense sorely lacks.  May not be a true FS but instead of going Kyle Hamilton in round 1 we can get an edge rusher then pick up Joseph in the 2nd. Starts at FS from Day 1 opposite Diggs, Davis rotates in.

3. Alec Lindstrom C, Boston College

• Possibly the final piece to the line, but finally a stabilizing Center.  If he can’t start year one we still have McGovern.  Ideally McGovern slides over to RG for a year.

• Rangy FS who is reliable in coverage but lack of ball skills has him drop.  I think the Jets can get away with the same strategy they did last year with CB.  Bring in multiple guys and see who competes.  Saleh preaches don't give up the deep ball, he can be that deep Safety that maybe allows our CBs to be more physical knowing they actually have a safety net.

4b. Khalil Shakir WR, Boise State

• I was looking for a one trick pony burner, because I think Wilson really needs one, but found Shakir.  A more complete WR but still has the deep threat ability.  Looks very reliable underneath in the slot.  Great depth to have but if we have someone besides Moore who can take the top off especially after PA with this run game, that would be great.

5a. Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan

• Tough runner in between the tackles who will be a great goal line/short yardage back to compliment Carter.  Not the receiving threat of some guys who would be great to have in the 3rd/4th but other needs took precedence.  Will be a much better version of Ty Johnson.

5b. Kicker

While I am not a fan of some, I can see where your going with the draft. But here's the truth, do we really need a pass rusher OR do we see where we are with Lawson instead of investing in a DE in the first round? Especially in light of the fact we just invest millions more in JFM? I Think we have a more pressing need at DT especially if Leal is being considered the second coming of Aaron Donald. Again Fatukasi has been great, but Q is going to demand a kings ransom that's a ton of money on the D line. I see the Jets moving on and drafting a DL like Leal either in the 1st or 2nd round at the latest.

But here's something to blow your mind, what if the Jets sitting at the 3-4 position in the draft have no choice but to take the best T in the draft and follow that up by drafting the best C in the draft. As crazy as it sounds it could happen and catapult the Jets O Line into Elite status with 2 moves.

Then load up the rest of the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what I want to do with FA anymore.  Definitely need one or two S, a TE and a LB.

Draft Picks

1a. David Ojabo DE, Michigan

• Ojabo has the potential to be a sack artist on this defense.  He is great insurance if Lawson loses a step.  We are desperate for a guy to get after the QB.  I don't care if this is pick 3 or 4, he is worth it.

1b. Treylon Burks WR, Arkansas 

• Option here is to drop down and get another 3rd, but Burks has monster potential.  We can't rely on Corey Davis, but having him as our 3rd WR would be amazing for Wilson.  We can work Berrios and Moore in the slot.  Burks can make contested catches on the outside, can burn you deep, can make catches over the middle and he can freaking truck it after the catch and score from anywhere.  Would be very interesting all the things out of the backfield we can draw up with Burks, Berrios and Moore.  Watching Burrow have multiple targets with a subpar OL makes me opt towards surrounding Zach with as much talent as possible.

2a. Damone Clark LB, LSU

• Not sure where he will go but he's had a big year for LSU and can do it all.  We have a bunch of LBs in this class that can fill the void in the middle of the defense.  LSU has a good track record so I am confident Clark will turn out well.  Can plu

2b. Jarrett Patterson iOL, Notre Dame

• Still need to shore up the OL.  He can battle out between McGovern and LDT.  Both will be FA after the end of next year and he will be starting at one of those positions by year's end.  

3. Smoke Monday S, Auburn

• Hard hitting Safety who will really help with run defense, maybe covering the RBs too.  Hopefully hits like that make guys afraid to go over the middle where we have been killed the past two years.

4b. Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan

5a. Aaron Frost OT/G, Nevada

• Plays RT and can swing inside if needed.  If Fant gets signed at LT long term and/or Becton gets hurt at RT we have insurance.

5b. Kicker

We have depth and future pieces for OL.  We now have many targets for Wilson.  A bigger RB to compliment Carter.  FA like Howard plus Yeboah for TE.  Looking pretty solid.

On defense we have a FA, Davis, Pinnock and now two draft picks at Safety.  We hit on CBs already.  Ojabo and Lawson fix our DL issues in one shot.  Clark leads the LBing crew then we grab another guy in '23 when CJ is gone.

The reason on Burks does not offer any merit.   Moore had established himself as first guy to throw to WR before injury.  That means Moore will be featured at both slot (2nd) and outside (major) with Berrios should be our primary slot.  Only it would work is if Corey Davis still dropped football like this year next year.

We should have place kicker already unless you are unhappy with Mann taking kickoff duty.

Granted both Berrios and Pineiro are set to be UFA this offseason but we get idea.

• 1 month later...

Free Agency

Quandre Diggs S

-10 INTs over the last two seasons, Seattle is already paying Jamal, Diggs has seen what Saleh did in SF and bolts to NY.  We need guys in the secondary who can create TOs.

OJ Howard TE

-has flashed, didn't take advantage, caught up in the depth chart.  Maybe he resurrects his career, maybe he does nothing but at least we have a vet incase a rookie isn't ready.

Mohammed Sanu WR

-we need a veteran presence here, Sanu won't take time away from young guys and can play if guys get hurt.

anything else may be depth moves

Trade

Denzel Mims to whoever for 4th round pick

-unfortunately it's not working out.  Now that JD and co. have a plan, Mims gets moved.

Draft

1a. David Ojabo DE, Michigan

-His skillset is fantastic for an edge rusher.  He can learn from Lawson.  If he is "raw" and starts off as a situational player, we have JFM to play DE on run downs, and we still have Huff.

1b. Treylon Burks WR, Arkansas

-Easy Deebo comparison.  Brings something to the table that Moore and Davis don't.

2a. Trey McBride TE, Colorado State

-We all seem to be falling in love with him now.  Need to support Zach as much as possible.  Howard gives us insurance but isn't going to outright win the job over McBride.

2b. Zion Johnson G, Boston College

-Another Senior Bowl pick, Zion has versatility and hopefully is a plug and play RG.  Kenyon Green would be nice, but the Jets secure the TE first.

3a. Kerby Joseph S, Illinois

-A potential young ballhawk for our defense.  Doesn't have to start right away.  Was he a one hit wonder?

TRADE 4th and 5th to move back into the 3rd.

3b. Channing Tindall LB, Georgia

-Dammit had a nice writeup but the text was getting deleted.  Under the radar because of the rest of the Georgia defense.  Didn't start until this season.  He is a great developmental project.  Can blitz and tackle well.  One of the best athletes in the class.  I love his all around potential.  Lack of experience and instincts drops him a little.

4a. Smoke Monday S, Auburn

-Hard hitting safety who helps out the porous run defense.  What a name too. 

4b. Hasaan Haskins RB, Michigan

-Been mocking him all season to pair with MC.

5. Coin flip between K and developmental OT.

Edited by jetsfan4life51
Things kept deleting