Jimmy G (Patriots) to 49ers

Mid Iowa

I'm not sold on Jimmy like many are. He could be decent, but he could also be nothing more than the next Matt Cassel who filled in for Brady in 2008 and looked very good and like a future starter. then once he was out of the Patriots system he had about 1 decent season and then stunk it up.

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Holy crap. Early bird gets it! 

Jimmy G to 49ers for 2018 2nd round pick. 

Wow, now I feel like maybe we lost out on a starter for a decent price. Where was Payton/Loomis on this Belechick suck job? 

Jimmy's camp is already asking for 20 mil per after throwing what... 94 nfl passes? He could be really good or he could end up being Matt Flynn. 49ers taking a gamble here by basically trading a late 1st rounder and willing go offer up big money. Still I like it for them, Lynch doing a great job over there despite the record right now.

This move by NE though will affect how Saints brass handle their busniess i believe. The Saints have openly modeled their franchise by the Pats blueprint so if their willing to ride their future hall of fame QB into his 40's then you better bet the Saints are thinking the same exact thing. We might not draft a young QB for another 2-3 years.

15 minutes ago, Raves said:

The big thing for the 49ers though is, they are the ones that get the first chance to see if he is actually worth it paying and if so make the first offer.

You dont give up a top 35 pick just to "see" if hes the guy... Also a 9-8 game trial wouldnt be a fair assessment to Jimmy without a full offseason in their program under Shannahon. 

No, they made this trade with the FULL intention of Jimmy being their franchise QB likley realizing 3 things...

1. Darnold will likley go back to USC

2. Cousins will likley resign in DC

3. The 2018 NFL draft QB class has no better option than Jimmy.

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

You dont give up a top 35 pick just to "see" if hes the guy... Also a 9-8 game trial wouldnt be a fair assessment to Jimmy without a full offseason in their program under Shannahon. 

No, they made this trade with the FULL intention of Jimmy being their franchise QB likley realizing 3 things...

1. Darnold will likley go back to USC

2. Cousins will likley resign in DC

3. The 2018 NFL draft QB class has no better option than Jimmy.

It's a 33-35 pick that likely would've resulted in a rookie that had a higher chance of busting than Jimmy G.  The 49ers still don't have to offer Jimmy G a longterm contract right away.  They can see these few games, if they are still on the fence, they can just franchise him for another year and make sure he's what they want.  I honestly wouldn't pay him right away and definitely would take advantage of the franchise tag if he doesn't light it up in the last 8 or so games they have with him.

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

It's a 33-35 pick that likely would've resulted in a rookie that had a higher chance of busting than Jimmy G.  The 49ers still don't have to offer Jimmy G a longterm contract right away.  They can see these few games, if they are still on the fence, they can just franchise him for another year and make sure he's what they want.  I honestly wouldn't pay him right away and definitely would take advantage of the franchise tag if he doesn't light it up in the last 8 or so games they have with him.

Whats the rate for a franchise tagged qb right now... Isnt it like 20?

Still your right, no skin off the Niners back cause they gonna have like 100 million in cap space.

2 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Whats the rate for a franchise tagged qb right now... Isnt it like 20?

Still your right, no skin off the Niners back cause they gonna have like 100 million in cap space.

yeah it's like $20 mil.  If you're going to have to pay him that in a long term contract anyways, why not just pay him that as a franchise tag for a year.  Either you find out he's not worth it after a full season or he proves he is worth it and you're more than happy to pay a little extra because you've just found yourself a franchise QB.

The Jimmy trade also puts the Niners in position to possibly draft Saquon Barkely in the draft. So like I said, Lynch doing a good job over there. Good solid young defense with now Jimmy at QB a ton of ? in FA and a boat load of picks... And possibly Barkley in the draft.

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

The Jimmy trade also puts the Niners in position to possibly draft Saquon Barkely in the draft. So like I said, Lynch doing a good job over there. Good solid young defense with now Jimmy at QB a ton of ? in FA and a boat load of picks... And possibly Barkley in the draft.

Barkley would be a great weapon for them, but they might need to look at the OL first.  I mean look at how even Zeke has taken a step back this year after the Cowboys had to let 2 of their OL walk in FA.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Barkley would be a great weapon for them, but they might need to look at the OL first.  I mean look at how even Zeke has taken a step back this year after the Cowboys had to let 2 of their OL walk in FA.

I get that but if they are on the clock and Barkley is there, there has to be a lineman graded higher to justify taking him... There wont be.

Im not high on this oline class unless you wanna take the guard from ND over Barkley... I aint.

I wonder what kind of safety net team owners are going to build into the contracts of these "unproven" QB's in light of the Brock Osweiler (and other similar) situation. 2 teams got totally hosed with big contracts, and a limp noodle got rich as h*ll off of it.

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'm not sold on Jimmy like many are. He could be decent, but he could also be nothing more than the next Matt Cassel who filled in for Brady in 2008 and looked very good and like a future starter. then once he was out of the Patriots system he had about 1 decent season and then stunk it up.

I actually agree with this, and we had this conversation in preseason. So often we've seen people leave the Patriot org (players and staff) after big success, and end up either going back, or just becoming pedestrian.

6 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

You dont give up a top 35 pick just to "see" if hes the guy...

Teams do this every time they make an early draft pick, you give up the pick for the opportunity to see if he’s your guy. You never know what you’re getting out of a draft pick.

You could argue this actually comes with less risk than a draft pick because at least they’ve seen some NFL work from JG.

He does need a contract next year, but that’s partially mitigated by the fact that he also plays the most important position.

Archived