Week 10: LA Rams @ San Francisco 49ers_MNF Edition

BStanRamFan

24 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The 2018 team wasn't soft. This team folds up instantly when it's not easy right away. We've been blown out 3 times this year. That's 3 more times in 2018. It's comes down to coaching and QB play. 

I disagree. I think 2018 was the same if not worst than this team. Remember in 2018 the Rams were horrible at stopping the run. Teams were gashing them every chance they got. It wouldve been worst had so many teams not abandoned the run bc the Rams were averaging 30ppg for most of the regular season. Then when teams like the Saints, Bears, and even Eagles got physical the Rams couldnt do anything. Even the Broncos got physical with the Rams and the Rams struggled to win in Denver. 

I dont look at blowouts like you are doing bc this season it seems like every team gets blown out or have embarrassing losses. Like the Bills havent gotten blown out but they scored 6pts and lost to the Jags. Thats just as bad if not worse than getting blown out. The Ravens got blown out by the Bengals and Dolphins. Bucs got blown out by us and got handled by the Saints and Washington. The Cowboys got blown out by the Broncos. The Packers got blown out by the Saints. So I can go on and on. This season in general has been that type of season for every team. I just look at it as the Rams are going through adversity just like they do seemingly every year and now can they fight through it like in 2018 and still make a deep run or this season is a combination of 2019 and 2020. They are great enough to make the playoffs but either be one and done or only good enough to win a game and lose in the divisional round. 

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I disagree. I think 2018 was the same if not worst than this team. 

This team might be better than the 2018 team. Especially because at the end of 2018 we were without Kupp and essentially Gurley. 

But that wasn't what I said. The 2018 wasn't soft. There were several games that year that didn't start off great early and the team still rallied or had other units play well enough to keep the games close. There's no way this team comes back down 13 in New Orleans and ever makes it a game. The only script to winning is keeping it within 1 score. 

Bye week couldn’t have come at a better time. This team needs to mentally regroup. The leaders of the team need to take ownership and hold everyone accountable. Staffords had 2 really bad games in a row and has put us in the hole early. This team is built around the run and play action. When we had Gurley going early no one could stop us. We need to get back to that. Pound the rock with Hendo/Michel!! 

The defense. Yikes. Ramsey was pissed off screaming at Raheem on the sidelines. I don’t blame him. He’s not the right guy for the job. Unfortunately nothing we can do now.

We need to get obj up to speed because we’re going to need him. Hope Kupp/Woods can  force feed him the playbook at a rapid pace. 

I'll keep this short.

• Too many dropped balls. 5 in total, 3 on 3rd downs. Kupp/Higbee/VJ cannot drop balls if we want to get back into games.
  • Defense couldn't stop the run or get off the field on 3rd down.
  • Stafford's first pick I put on OBJ for thinking Stafford couldn't reach him and stopped his route. Or clear miscommunication from a guy in camp for 2 days.
  • Stafford's 2nd pick on Higbee.
  • More disappointed in the defense as I didn't expect the offense to look the same with Robert Woods going down on Friday and Skowronek being thrusted into his role on such short notice. It will look better offensively after the bye week.
  • I have real problems with Raheem Morris and have since he's been signed. He does not make adjustments.
  • McVay is not good at playing from behind. Past 2 weeks, we fell behind early and it was over.  

Positives:

• The 49ers can't play us every week so they will fight for a WC Spot. Shanahan owns McVay; it's just that simple. 

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

I think we had a couple players play well. The coaches and the rest of the team need to really look inward during the bye week. Absolutely inexcusable performance two weeks in a row.

Gotta hand it to Ramsey. He's the heart of this defense when the other 10 guys don't show any. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I think 2018 was the same if not worst than this team. 

The 2018 never looked as bad as we have the past two weeks. The players may be more talented, but that's just more condemning to the coaching staff as a whole. 

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:
  • Stafford's first pick I put on OBJ for thinking Stafford couldn't reach him and stopped his route. Or clear miscommunication from a guy in camp for 2 days.

Agree with most of the rest of the stuff, but you can't put that on OBJ. I've played receiver and when a deep route like that ends and there are two guys covering you, there is 0% chance that ball should be coming your way. Not only should another option be open if you are taking two guys, but the odds of a pass that far down field ending up with your player instead of the other two are insanely low. Stafford has gotten away with that in the past playing with a guy like Calvin Johnson, but it was a horrible decision. 

23 minutes ago, JonStark said:

The 2018 never looked as bad as we have the past two weeks. The players may be more talented, but that's just more condemning to the coaching staff as a whole. 

Agree with most of the rest of the stuff, but you can't put that on OBJ. I've played receiver and when a deep route like that ends and there are two guys covering you, there is 0% chance that ball should be coming your way. Not only should another option be open if you are taking two guys, but the odds of a pass that far down field ending up with your player instead of the other two are insanely low. Stafford has gotten away with that in the past playing with a guy like Calvin Johnson, but it was a horrible decision. 

You left out the possibility of pass interference. 

It should have been thrown away. He was forcing it. But OBJ just flat stopped his route at the sideline and Stafford thought he was still heading for the endzone. So there's miscommunication somewhere, I'm putting it on the guy who had a solo practice with the team lol 

I was thinking and this team reminds me of those great Warriors teams. The Warriors were great and running through every but the times they did lose they were getting blown out. I remember people talking about it too wondering why a team is so talented as the Warriors getting blown out? Its bc the Warriors lived and died by the 3pt. Its simple as if they were hitting the 3 with Steph and Klay then nobody could touch them. If Steph and Klay were missing even if it was just one of them having a bad shooting night then teams would blow them out just bc they would be hitting their shots which was 2's and 3's to try to match the Warriors shooting 3's and the score would be a massive win for the other team. Now the Warriors didnt lose all that much but when it did their games typically would be blow out loses.

The reason this Rams team got blown out in their loses this year and even got blown out in previous seasons under McVay is one reason. McVay doesnt run the ball at all. You look at those games in the past where they got dominated. The common denominator was the lack of running. I think it has gotten worst now with Stafford. The Rams had to base their game around the run in previous years bc McVay didnt fully think Goff could handle things. Now he trust Stafford can do everything he completely dont like to run. Its not that the Rams cant run. Henderson against the Niners had 5 carried for 31yds. He averaged 6.2ypc. In the season coming into Week 10 Henderson was 7th in the league in rushing averaging 4.6ypc. No reason why he cant truly thrive on the ground if he had more opportunities. Thats what people were getting on the Eagles head coach for. When they ran it they had success but he would just abandon the run completely with their backs and tried to let Hurts do literally everything and the Eagles suffered. The past few weeks the Eagles started to lean heavily on the run and they are looking great.

I thought this was the game the Rams would run the football a ton. OBJ being worked into the mix, no Woods, the Rams just coming off a bad loss to the Titans in which they didnt run the ball and so I thought this would be the perfect game for Henderson and Michel to get the ball at least a total of 25 times on the ground. Nope. They got a total of 9 rushing attempts. Henderson averaged 6.2ypc and Michel averaged 5ypc. Its frustrating imo. McVay can still throw the ball 2 to 1 but I think at this point he is literally throwing the ball 3 to 1 if not 4 to 1 and thats the reason the Rams offense look out of sync and as a result the blow outs are happening. 

59 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

You left out the possibility of pass interference. 

It should have been thrown away. He was forcing it. But OBJ just flat stopped his route at the sideline and Stafford thought he was still heading for the endzone. So there's miscommunication somewhere, I'm putting it on the guy who had a solo practice with the team lol 

I'll give you the PI point but OBJ's route was over. Saying that Stafford was thinking he was going to cut back inside after and head towards the goalpost is mindboggling to me. That's not even an actual route, unless it was some backyard style one where Stafford just told him where to run on the fly. Bottom line is the ball never should have been thrown. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

The reason this Rams team got blown out in their loses this year and even got blown out in previous seasons under McVay is one reason. McVay doesnt run the ball at all. You look at those games in the past where they got dominated. The common denominator was the lack of running.

What games in the past have we got dominated? Here is the full listing of Rams blowouts under McVay:

2017 - Vikings

2019 -  Ravens and Cowboys

2021 - Cardinals, Titans, and 49ers

Vikings game was Zimmer's defense being too much and a completely depleted secondary eventually wore down in the 2nd half. The Ravens and Cowboys were just full team letdowns. What we have seen this year with the blowouts are they are the result of Stafford turnovers and him starting slow. In the Seahawks and Tampa games Stafford also didn't get going until the 2nd or 3rd quarters but the defense was able to keep the team in the games. Last night and the Arizona game the defense struggles and Stafford cannot pick them up. I think running last night maybe helps. But what helps more is not opening first quarters with completely unforced interceptions. Stafford has done that in every game and never gets in a rhythm. We have tied the amount of blowouts under McVay in 10 games with Stafford. He is the common denominator in this. All losses count the same but it is alarming how bad he can look. We've been blown out this year the same number of times as the winless Lions.

35 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

What games in the past have we got dominated? Here is the full listing of Rams blowouts under McVay:

2017 - Vikings

2019 -  Ravens and Cowboys

2021 - Cardinals, Titans, and 49ers

Vikings game was Zimmer's defense being too much and a completely depleted secondary eventually wore down in the 2nd half. The Ravens and Cowboys were just full team letdowns. What we have seen this year with the blowouts are they are the result of Stafford turnovers and him starting slow. In the Seahawks and Tampa games Stafford also didn't get going until the 2nd or 3rd quarters but the defense was able to keep the team in the games. Last night and the Arizona game the defense struggles and Stafford cannot pick them up. I think running last night maybe helps. But what helps more is not opening first quarters with completely unforced interceptions. Stafford has done that in every game and never gets in a rhythm. We have tied the amount of blowouts under McVay in 10 games with Stafford. He is the common denominator in this. All losses count the same but it is alarming how bad he can look. We've been blown out this year the same number of times as the winless Lions.

Ok so we talking about blowouts or dominated? I look at them one in the same bc even though sometimes the scoreboard doesnt show it a team can still literally have no chance of winning the game based on watching it. That Bears game in 2018 was the case. Rams lost 6-15 so in theory it wasnt a blowout but the Rams got dominated. Not one time in that game I thought the Rams had a chance. They couldnt run the ball and Goff never stood a chance in that game.

Then I think it was the following week at home against the Eagles. Btw an Eagles team that was depleted especially in the secondary and had Nick Foles starting. The game entering the 4th quarter was 30-13 Eagles. Rams were getting blown out. Yes the Rams scored 10pts in the 4th to at least give themselves a shot at the end but still they shouldve never been down that much to that Eagles team at home. Then obviously the Superbowl to the Pats the Rams were dominated on offense. They couldnt do anything. Again the scoreboard didnt do any justice to how much the Pats dominated the Rams on offense. The only saving grace with the Rams defense playing great. 

Ill also add the playoff game in 2017 to the Falcons. The Rams lost 13-26 which seemingly nothing went right for them that game.  So in theory the Rams under McVay has shown to be good for two to three stinkers a season. Ill take that if the Rams are still finding a way to win 10+ games but I do think McVay need to learn to be more consistent running the ball so at least the stinkers wont be this bad. I can live with the Rams trying to run but its just not working and the Rams get blown out. I cant live with the Rams running barely but when they do run its effective they just arent sticking with it and they get blown out as a result. Its frustrating. McVay has literally turned into Nick Sirianni of the Eagles. At least Nick has started to learn to run the ball with his backs and he is finding success now. Early on for what ever reason he didnt run the ball at all the Eagles were a mess and it was frustrating bc the little they did run they had success. I just wish McVay would make it a priority to give Henderson and Michel the ball at least 20-25 times on the ground a game. 

Edited by stl4life07

14 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok so we talking about blowouts or dominated? I look at them one in the same bc even though sometimes the scoreboard doesnt show it a team can still literally have no chance of winning the game based on watching it. That Bears game in 2018 was the case. Rams lost 6-15 so in theory it wasnt a blowout but the Rams got dominated. Not one time in that game I thought the Rams had a chance. They couldnt run the ball and Goff never stood a chance in that game.

Then I think it was the following week at home against the Eagles. Btw an Eagles team that was depleted especially in the secondary and had Nick Foles starting. The game entering the 4th quarter was 30-13 Eagles. Rams were getting blown out. Yes the Rams scored 10pts in the 4th to at least give themselves a shot at the end but still they shouldve never been down that much to that Eagles team at home. 

I care about blowouts because that is usually a complete team letdown. In the past we've avoided them because when one side of the ball struggled, the other kept the team in games. The Bears game is a good example. The Saints game in 2018 another one when the defense struggled, the offense put up points. When the wheels falls off this team, it's been over fast.

And the 2018 Eagles game is the exact type of game I would have liked to see the past 2 weeks. It wasn't pretty, but the team clawed it's way back into it. We had a shot to tie at the end. The 49ers secondary this year is arguably as bad as that Eagles one and the offense cannot even muster a garbage time score. 

Edited by LeotheLion

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Gotta hand it to Ramsey. He's the heart of this defense when the other 10 guys don't show any. 

Reeder made one very nice tackle shooting the gap on a 3rd down run but not sure I remember anything else positive from him. I see a lot giving up on Rochell as well but I'm not there at all he's a rookie. I said before the season Long and our CB room was a huge question mark and it remains that way. In the end our coaches need to be better than what we have right now top to bottom. McVay is straight up owned by Shanny and any other coach that's going to be physical with us, he has to figure that out sooner or later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

I'll give you the PI point but OBJ's route was over. Saying that Stafford was thinking he was going to cut back inside after and head towards the goalpost is mindboggling to me. That's not even an actual route, unless it was some backyard style one where Stafford just told him where to run on the fly. Bottom line is the ball never should have been thrown. 

I agree with this. There was more than enough time to throw it out or even run for a few yards. It was a broken play and OBJs route was over. 

Maybe I’ve been defending this team and stafford too much.. maybe the people are right.. LA is highly overrated and has no chance. The weaknesses are so weak that it actually makes it impossible to win against any team that wants to get physical. That’s how I feel at least.