Week 10: LA Rams @ San Francisco 49ers_MNF Edition

BStanRamFan

On 11/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

One easy adjustment though would be to put Ramsey on Deebo, especially on 3rd downs. But just clog the middle of the field and play more tight man coverage on the WRs because Jimmy is not going to test the sidelines. Seahawks do that and Jimmy just falls apart and looks like a bottom 5 QB in the league.

I was beyond furious during that game because of how nonsensical our defensive game plan was. I repeatedly posted on a Rams forum that we needed to lock Ramsey on Deebo, bring Rapp into the box, and flood the short game to force Jimmy to hold the ball and go vertical. Everybody knows what the guy's weaknesses are. He doesn't deal with getting hit well, and he likes to throw quick to a primary read. Taking away the quick, easy passes should be any talented defense's goal against him.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:40 PM, LeotheLion said:

Here is why I am just never going to be optimistic about this team now. At least in 2018 when we sucked against Chicago and Philadelphia, we could fall back on the fact that our best football played that year was against good teams. We beat the Chargers, Vikings, Seattle (x2), and KC. All of those teams had winning records and were the top of the league. Right now, the only best football we have seen is against Tampa. So it is far fetched for me to believe that they can turn it on and play that level of football 4 times in a row in the postseason. 

How we're playing at the end of the year will be more telling.

• Like 2

Monday night was the second time in about 20 years that I shut off a game. The first time being vs the ravens a few years ago. This time I told myself “if stafford throws a pick here it’s being turned off” and Higbee immediately dropped it and it was picked and returned for 6. I had a feeling it wouldn’t be a good game for LA and once that happened I knew it was over. Some may say that when the Rams were winning 1-2 games per year I had more reason to shut them off but it’s different when there’s actual high expectations for a good team and they look as bad as they did multiple times in a year. Right NOW, this team does not have a good chance to win a SB with how bad they look when they aren’t in the lead. Like @jrry32 said though, it’s way more important that they get hot towards the end of the season. I don’t know how I feel about the current state of the team and I think if they look terrible vs GB that there’s no chance that the first round bye will be LAs.

Another bad loss like that and I’m worried that there could be some turmoil or players Who stop buying into this season/team. 

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

I just don't see us being able to beat 3-4 playoff caliber teams in a row with the way we're being coached, and all it takes is one loss in the playoffs to end your season. 

The talent is there, now it's time for the coaches to put up or shut up. 

We can say that about really any team in the NFC. 

Do you trust McCarthy in the playoffs with his clock management mishaps?

Do you trust Kingsbury in the playoffs? He hasnt even had a successful track record period as a coach whether its in college or the NFL.

Tampa Bay went to the SB and won but we've seen them twice against the Rams and as much praise as people give Bowles as a defensive coordinator he has flat out stunk trying to stop the Rams offense. So if they was to matchup against the Rams the only thing people will say is "dont bet against Brady" even though the last three times Brady played against the Rams he didnt play well and both times with the Bucs he has lost.

LaFleur the question is still out on him just bc the last two times we've seen his season end in the playoffs the Packers got blown out in the NFCCG against the Niners and last season in the NFCCG at home he didnt trust ARod on 4th down and settled for a FG knowing that Brady was coming back on the field just needing one 1st down to ice the game and the rest was history. So technically how confident are you in LaFleur?

So basically if you are just saying you dont trust the Rams being able to beat 3-4 playoff teams in a row based on coaching, tell me a coach you fully trust to do the same in the NFC? If we were in the AFC where we had to go up against Belichick, Tomlin, Reid, McDermott, Harbaugh, and Vrebal then yes Id be like ok McVay has to step his game up even more bc those coaches I can trust alot more to have their team ready for a deep playoff run. I dont fear none of the coaches in the NFC and I actually would favor McVay in the playoffs in the NFC over all of those coaches. He just need to get back to playing his style of football which is running, bootleg, and playaction. I trust he will do so just bc when things went sideways in 2018 at the end of the season he got things back on track and the Rams made a SB run. 

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

We can say that about really any team in the NFC. 

Do you trust McCarthy in the playoffs with his clock management mishaps?

Do you trust Kingsbury in the playoffs? He hasnt even had a successful track record period as a coach whether its in college or the NFL.

Tampa Bay went to the SB and won but we've seen them twice against the Rams and as much praise as people give Bowles as a defensive coordinator he has flat out stunk trying to stop the Rams offense. So if they was to matchup against the Rams the only thing people will say is "dont bet against Brady" even though the last three times Brady played against the Rams he didnt play well and both times with the Bucs he has lost.

LaFleur the question is still out on him just bc the last two times we've seen his season end in the playoffs the Packers got blown out in the NFCCG against the Niners and last season in the NFCCG at home he didnt trust ARod on 4th down and settled for a FG knowing that Brady was coming back on the field just needing one 1st down to ice the game and the rest was history. So technically how confident are you in LaFleur?

So basically if you are just saying you dont trust the Rams being able to beat 3-4 playoff teams in a row based on coaching, tell me a coach you fully trust to do the same in the NFC? If we were in the AFC where we had to go up against Belichick, Tomlin, Reid, McDermott, Harbaugh, and Vrebal then yes Id be like ok McVay has to step his game up even more bc those coaches I can trust alot more to have their team ready for a deep playoff run. I dont fear none of the coaches in the NFC and I actually would favor McVay in the playoffs in the NFC over all of those coaches. He just need to get back to playing his style of football which is running, bootleg, and playaction. I trust he will do so just bc when things went sideways in 2018 at the end of the season he got things back on track and the Rams made a SB run. 

At this point in the season, I'd feel A LOT more comfortable if I was a Cardinals or Packers fan to be able to make a run. The Cardinals blew out the same 49ers that just destroyed us, and they did it without Kyler. 

The issue is the coaching, and I don't think their egos with allow them to fix that. Mcvay apparently came out today blaming a lot of the problems on the drops and if he can't address his shortcomings, we aren't going to be able to beat the top teams 4 weeks in a row. 

40 minutes ago, JonStark said:

The issue is the coaching, and I don't think their egos with allow them to fix that. Mcvay apparently came out today blaming a lot of the problems on the drops and if he can't address his shortcomings, we aren't going to be able to beat the top teams 4 weeks in a row. 

I'd say drops were the biggest issue in the 49ers game. Higbee has the early drop that becomes a pick 6. Then 2 other drives were ended with 3rd down drops and a TD became a FG on the Van Jefferson drop. 

There were also 49ers defensive drops that also helped us out but the Higbee play was the biggest of the game. 

Honestly, nothing about Hendo this year has encouraged me that we should be running more. He looks slow and a lot of his runs just create 2nd and longs. 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

At this point in the season, I'd feel A LOT more comfortable if I was a Cardinals or Packers fan to be able to make a run. The Cardinals blew out the same 49ers that just destroyed us, and they did it without Kyler. 

I think we will be fine. Again back in 2018 people panic after how the Rams looked against the Bears and Eagles. Not to mention the struggles we had just to beat the Lions right after the BYE. The main issue people pointed too was Peters being a liability giving up big plays constantly, the run defense being bad (bottom of the league in yards per carry to opposing offenses) and then of course Gurley not looking right due to injury. Not to mention the loss of Kupp and even Zuerlein got hurt late in the season. I think McVay and the team gathered themselves and they ended up being fine. Alot of people didnt think we would beat the Cowboys in the divisional round. I dont really think many gave us a shot to go back in the Superdome and beat the Saints especially after we lost to them earlier in the season. We won both games and went to the Superbowl. So I believe in this team. I do think McVay will get things together. 

Plus just for the record, Vegas still isnt overreacting to the Rams or the Bucs. They are both top 3 still in Superbowl odds. Vegas is telling everyone that they still dont believe in the Cards, Packers, and Cowboys more than the Bucs and Rams. Its still a long season and teams go through adversity. The Rams are going through adversity. If you tell me that come playoff time we get an in sync OBJ in the offense after having 8 weeks of learning and playing and the same with Von on the defense. Then MAYBE we might get Akers back but even if he doesnt come back I still like Henderson and Michel will be just like OBJ even more in sync in the offense. So again Im not panicking and Im taking a step back and watching this team pull themselves back together, the new additions continue to learn and get comfortable on the field playing their roles and then come playoff time I truly believe the Rams will be right where they want to be to make a deep playoff run. 

11 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I'd say drops were the biggest issue in the 49ers game. Higbee has the early drop that becomes a pick 6. Then 2 other drives were ended with 3rd down drops and a TD became a FG on the Van Jefferson drop. 

There were also 49ers defensive drops that also helped us out but the Higbee play was the biggest of the game. 

Honestly, nothing about Hendo this year has encouraged me that we should be running more. He looks slow and a lot of his runs just create 2nd and longs. 

We'll just have to disagree there. The drops were a big problem, but the lack of adaptability and adjustments that we've seen from this staff for more of the season just isn't going to do it in the postseason. 

And we must be watching different RB. Hendo is still 9th in the league in rushing yards while only getting 5 carries last game and 11 the week before. He's averaging close to 5 YPC with only one run over 20+ yards, so I'm not sure how it's possibly that most of his runs create 2nd and longs. The guy has looked great to me and needs to get more attempts, ESPECIALLY inside the redzone where Mcvay only seems concerned with getting Stafford his touchdowns. 

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

We'll just have to disagree there. The drops were a big problem, but the lack of adaptability and adjustments that we've seen from this staff for more of the season just isn't going to do it in the postseason. 

And we must be watching different RB. Hendo is still 9th in the league in rushing yards while only getting 5 carries last game and 11 the week before. He's averaging close to 5 YPC with only one run over 20+ yards, so I'm not sure how it's possibly that most of his runs create 2nd and longs. The guy has looked great to me and needs to get more attempts, ESPECIALLY inside the redzone where Mcvay only seems concerned with getting Stafford his touchdowns. 

I agree. We need to get both Hendo and Michel more touches. This team is so freakin weird, most teams stop running the ball when opposing defenses force them to pass, the Rams on the other hand, stop running the ball even though the defense can’t do anything about it. Hendo could average 12 yards a carry and McVay would still find a reason to throw the ball 50 times. 

Edited by NYRamsFan88
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I agree. We need to get both Hendo and Michel more touches. This team is so freakin weird, most teams stop running the ball when opposing defenses force them to pass, the Rams on the other hand, stop running the ball even though the defense can’t do anything about it. Hendo could average 12 yards a carry and McVay would still find a reason to throw the ball 50 times. 

Yep, and even if the running game isn't working early, you still need to use it to keep the defense honest. No one respects our running game so they just sit back and wait for us to pass. 

I watched the game tueday but i was so mad i couldn't write anything about it...

I said that this defense wasn't better and may be worse than last year after the draft. And this is true. 

Last year the team couldn't stop the running game of the PAckers and some said it was because Donald was hurt. 

But guess what, Donald was there against the Niners and we still were destroyed by the running game. When will the team invest on real LB ? 

My god, Reeder and Jones were so slow side to side. We can't stop the run with mediocre LB. When you see on the other field Al shair flying and making play against us. 

That's what a real LB looks like, that's what we don't have and i'm sick of it. 

This defense is not build to stop the run and stop offense. This defense can only play well when we are leading so they can sit down, play coverage and pass rush at 4.

Of course Morris is a part of this failed defense, i don't think he's good to run this defense. But most of the players we have on this defense are average. 

I'm not expecting a big improvement on this defense, unless the offense is leading, we can't count on this defense to win game.

Now on offense, i don't know if it was Goff or Stafford that played the last 2 games. But that was painfull. 

The 1st INT i mean, what was that ? Even if OBJ ran the wrong route, why he's throwing that deep ball in double coverage ? He wasn't even free....

The 2nd INT, it's more of Higbee fault.

But at 0-14, i already felt that the game was over.  

And again Mcvay gave up the running game very quickly. Henderson first running play was 10 yards gain why not continue running the ball ? 

Second drive of the game, 3 passes no run and 1 INT...

I can't trust Mcvay on running the ball. It's been since Todd Gurley he keep saying that he should run the ball more and he never did that. 

He needs to mix his play calling, it's not because we have Stafford that we should gave up the screen, the play action, the reverse ans etc...

He's killing us calling drop back pass play with our shaky Oline. 

Von Miller and OBJ are good addition but again, it won't be enough to cover our hole and weakness. 

Against the packers, i'm very pessimistic we will win this game unless we lead this game at the beginning. 

We had several occasion to take the lead of the division with Murray not playing. We are going to play on the road for the PO.