Halo TV Show (Paramount+ 2022)

MikeT14

35 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

A little, but this series isn't a direct adaptation of the games, books, comics, etc. They're calling this the Silver Timeline.

It's fine if it is, I just haven't played Halo in so long, I was trying to remember Cortana's origins. I didn't think she was from an alien relic or anything. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's fine if it is, I just haven't played Halo in so long, I was trying to remember Cortana's origins. I didn't think she was from an alien relic or anything. 

Been a few decades since I was a kid, but from what I remember Cortana was one of the AI developed to help handle the big ships of the fleet, so this is a change, but one that could be interesting.

The other item of note that really stood out to me because I had no clue who it is - potential spoiler:

The human that the Covenant leader spoke to... that's someone I didn't recognize nor recall them ever working with.

For what it's worth, I'm rather indifferent to creative freedoms - I've heard there's a divide amongst fans as to taking the helmet off, but ultimately while I understand it was key feature in the games to never see his face, I don't really care as much if the show chooses to do so, especially if they want to push the whole SPARTAN program origan and want to have MC more involved with character development instead of just raw lines.

Now that I say that... I actually WOULD care if they went all Boba Fett taking his helmet off all the time during his show. As long as they limit when it happens to actually feel impactful (like the Mandalorian), then it'll be fine. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Been a few decades since I was a kid, but from what I remember Cortana was one of the AI developed to help handle the big ships of the fleet, so this is a change, but one that could be interesting.

The other item of note that really stood out to me because I had no clue who it is - potential spoiler:

My one worry with it maybe being like a human tethered Avatar that’s posing as an A.I. or something like that is they are purely doing it so it and Chief can get together. Which for many reasons is a big departure.

and yeah human covenant lady is new. I think it’s an interesting addition. Like presumably there would be people who view the Covenant as this galactic group and humanity should join it at the beginning, not a large group but some OL would want that dream that Star Trek, Mass Effect and other fiction promise us

32 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

My one worry with it maybe being like a human tethered Avatar that’s posing as an A.I. or something like that is they are purely doing it so it and Chief can get together. Which for many reasons is a big departure.

My theory:

Based on the discussions between Dr Halsey and the general, it sounded like the Cortana tech wasn't working at the level the Dr had envisioned, and the project is to be scrapped. I suspect that this artifact that MC found will end up being a key to 'unlocking' Cortana fully, allowing her to 'become' the integrated battle AI into his system, and allowing them to partner moving forward. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

My theory:

Based on the discussions between Dr Halsey and the general, it sounded like the Cortana tech wasn't working at the level the Dr had envisioned, and the project is to be scrapped. I suspect that this artifact that MC found will end up being a key to 'unlocking' Cortana fully, allowing her to 'become' the integrated battle AI into his system, and allowing them to partner moving forward. 

Would make sense, especially with the history of humanity in the universe (i.e. humans on earth were seeded and actually go waaaaaay back and existed before)

• Like 1

I’ve never played the games or read the novels but I thought the first episode was 7.5 or 8/10 good. I had heard about the bad reviews and it honestly exceeded my expectations. The characters are likeable, the story seems somewhat interesting, the acting was solid and I’m intrigued by the world building. On the negative, the CGI was pretty bad at times and there was a lot of general fantasy or and sci fi tropes in there but I don’t mind it too much.

Will definitely continue watching.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Now that I say that... I actually WOULD care if they went all Boba Fett taking his helmet off all the time during his show. As long as they limit when it happens to actually feel impactful (like the Mandalorian), then it'll be fine. 

Absolutely on the same page here

• Like 2

Anyone hoping for a Mando style Helmet wearing, it’s out the window big time.

This feels like such an old school sci-fi show. Not really a knock, I loved a lot of those older shows. But feels like someone who loved back half of Star Trek TNG, DS9 Yoyager, some of those Syfy shows got tasked with the Halo IP and just tried to do that with the upgrade to some special effects 

Just watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them.  The first moreso than the second, but some decent story building in the second. I never played the games so i'm not beholden to those at all really, just enjoying a sci-fi series.  I definitely want to see more Spartans kicking *** scenes.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Just watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them.  The first moreso than the second, but some decent story building in the second. I never played the games so i'm not beholden to those at all really, just enjoying a sci-fi series.  I definitely want to see more Spartans kicking *** scenes.

Yeah, I was relatively surprised by how 'peaceful' this episode was, but it's clear they are establishing the characters and foundation for this season right now. I'm sure we'll get plenty of battles in the coming episodes, and I'm with you, looking forward to seeing the Spartans and MC fight.

• Like 1

A+ for me, excited to see where this show ends up. Hopefully it can find an audience and not get canned after a season or two. They could do so much cool &%#@ with the flood, those things are horrifying.

Loved the quick first person camera angles for the Spartans.. I think the CGI is done well and those elites feel pretty real. Mercy looks like he's straight out of the game, in a good way.

Right now you can pick up Halo: The Master Chief Collection on eBay for 15 bucks. Halo 1 is honestly kinda boring to play through, but 2 is still one of the best FPS games ever made. its completely remastered and looks like a new game. There are 6 games total on this disk, but ODST and Reach cost extra IIRC

Edited by adamq