Jump to content

I'm over our roster "strategy" and trading all these picks to acquire these players


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Let's be patient. It's not how you start. It's how you finish. The wheels came off over the second half of last year.

I'm not throwing in the towel, but I am saying it's fair to question the method when you refuse to actually address the coaching issues that have be consistent through the years. The GM can go all in by trading capital/spending money all they want but unless the coach goes all in and fixes the problems we have there, it won't matter and will only put us in a hole down the road with no SB to show for it.

Edited by JonStark
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a nice little breakdown of what the Rams can do offensively to succeed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2021/11/17/22786005/sam-darnold-carolina-panthers-qb-purgatory
 

Quote

The solution is clear: McVay needs to dust off the ol’ Goff playbook. They don’t have to major in it—that was the whole point of the Stafford trade—but they do need to protect that interior front with run-action that forces defensive linemen to first work horizontally before getting upfield vertically, with the added benefit of moving Stafford out of the pocket. Plays like this should make up a larger chunk of the Rams offense.


 

Quote

If Stafford so improves the Rams offense, then L.A. should have fewer qualms when faced with a fourth down that other teams would balk at. Instead, the Rams are taking their offense off the field on those fourth downs. Before either of these two losses, when the Rams were still 7-1, they were second in the league in lost win probability with cautious fourth-down decision-making—and that caution has finally caught up to them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2021 at 8:06 PM, Xenos said:

If Stafford so improves the Rams offense, then L.A. should have fewer qualms when faced with a fourth down that other teams would balk at. Instead, the Rams are taking their offense off the field on those fourth downs. Before either of these two losses, when the Rams were still 7-1, they were second in the league in lost win probability with cautious fourth-down decision-making—and that caution has finally caught up to them.

This part of the article is just a lazy analytics take. The Titans game and 49ers game had little to do with 4th down aggressiveness. You can make the case that we should have done an actual play instead of a fake field goal at the end of the 1st half but that isn't why we lost the game. Stafford's inability to start games quickly coupled with his desire to gift early turnovers are what is dooming us. 

I agree with the PA idea but I think part of the switch in philosophy was to play to what Stafford wants. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

This part of the article is just a lazy analytics take. The Titans game and 49ers game had little to do with 4th down aggressiveness. You can make the case that we should have done an actual play instead of a fake field goal at the end of the 1st half but that isn't why we lost the game. Stafford's inability to start games quickly coupled with his desire to gift early turnovers are what is dooming us. 

I agree with the PA idea but I think part of the switch in philosophy was to play to what Stafford wants. 

The part I quoted is just the conclusion. There were more specific examples in the article. But yes, Stafford needs to stop turning the ball over. I also think McVay should stop being so conservative at times. And there’s a balance between what Stafford wants to do and what would also help the team offensively.

Edited by Xenos
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2021 at 10:09 PM, MDY10 said:

I wouldn’t say that. Tutu is definitely not looking like it’ll work out, especially after Mcvay got a little frustrated with him but I will never call a rookie a bust until the end of year 2. 

Earnest Jones has come in and shown some flashes but I wouldn’t say that was a home run.. but again I’ll wait till the end of next season to actually judge him. 

Jacob Harris is definitely one that I’m excited about.. it’s a shame he got hurt.

Robert Rochelle came in mainly because of his athletic abilities.. we all knew it could take some time for him to get comfortable. He’s been beat but has made some plays. 

Bobby Brown was hurt early in the year but I’d say it’s the rookie most fans were most excited about. Could be a great pick if they choose to let SJD walk (who was a 6th round pick and took time to make an impact) 

Earnest brown.. well since he was cut I guess we can say that’s a miss. He’s on the PS I believe.. sometimes with later picks it’s exactly what happens. 

Jake Funk was in line to get some decent reps this season and was hurt and put on IR

Ben Skowronek was hurt early in the year and managed to stay on the 53 and had his first meaningful snaps in the last two games. He wasn’t great but I’d bet there aren’t many 7th rounders that would have done better. He has time. 
 

That leaves Chris Garret who again, most were excited about. He had a good camp and was placed on the COVID list for week 1. He hasn’t played much at all but he’s from a small school.. he needs time. It sounds cliche but most 3-7 rounders could need time before developing into starters.

Aside from obvious injuries I wouldn’t say this class sucks at all outside of Tutu and E. Brown. 

Saying they could have drafted someone like creed Humphrey over Tutu - Or other players over other players LA drafted is a different topic.. but I wouldn’t give up on these guys yet. People need to stop expecting 7th rounders to be instant impact players. 

 

 

I agree with what you say but there's a lot of "Could be". Reality is that these players won't help us this year and it's hurting us right now. 

I get the fact that we don't expect 7th round to contribute but 2nd, 3rd, 4th should contribute to this team. 

It's too early to tell if Jones is good or not but so far, i'm not convinced by him. He's too slow side to side and he's not good at coverage neither...it's a failure at this position and we paid the price having at best average LB in the roster. I'm tired of not having good player at ILB, it's killing us in the running game. 

Edited by Flounch
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem with the Rams is definitely McVay going away from what he is great at. His gameplan for Goff was to focus heavy on the run, then playaction and bootleg off of it. The idea is that every play McVay runs looks the same. As a result defenses will never know if the Rams are going to run or pass. Well when you run the ball 9 times like the Rams did against the Niners then you can throw away any guessing the Niners defense will be doing. They legit know the Rams are going to be throwing bc thats what they pretty much did nearly the entire game. McVay is enamored with Stafford so much that he is legit just forgetting what got McVay to be known as an offensive genius. On top of that, the Rams lost Woods late in the week right before the Niners game and had to throw in OBJ and the rookie Skowronek. You would think the approach would definitely be to run run run and run some more as a result. Nope. It was throw throw throw and throw some more putting those two receivers in a bad spot bc you know Kupp was going to get doubled and both Higbee and Jefferson struggled with drops the entire game. 

In the end I do think just like in 2018 the Rams are going through adversity and I trust they will figure it out. In 2018 they were going through adversity literally with 4 games left in the regular season. We have 7 games left in the regular season. I trust that by the time the playoffs come OBJ will be comfortable in the offense and Von will be comfortable on defense. I think the Rams will be hitting their stride and it doesnt matter if they have home games or road games in the playoffs. This team has the coaching and talent on the roster to make a deep run just like the Bucs did last season and they were more of a mess at this point than the Rams are now. The only game Id be nervous about is round one bc of all the pressure Stafford will have on him to win. If the Rams win even if its by one point, then Stafford will have that playoff monkey off his back and he can take a deep breath and play with less pressure knowing that what ever happens from there on out nobody can say he cant win a playoff game and again with this coaching and this talent the Rams can beat any team in the playoffs no matter where the game is played.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I think the problem with the Rams is definitely McVay going away from what he is great at. His gameplan for Goff was to focus heavy on the run, then playaction and bootleg off of it. The idea is that every play McVay runs looks the same. As a result defenses will never know if the Rams are going to run or pass. Well when you run the ball 9 times like the Rams did against the Niners then you can throw away any guessing the Niners defense will be doing. They legit know the Rams are going to be throwing bc thats what they pretty much did nearly the entire game. McVay is enamored with Stafford so much that he is legit just forgetting what got McVay to be known as an offensive genius. On top of that, the Rams lost Woods late in the week right before the Niners game and had to throw in OBJ and the rookie Skowronek. You would think the approach would definitely be to run run run and run some more as a result. Nope. It was throw throw throw and throw some more putting those two receivers in a bad spot bc you know Kupp was going to get doubled and both Higbee and Jefferson struggled with drops the entire game. 

In the end I do think just like in 2018 the Rams are going through adversity and I trust they will figure it out. In 2018 they were going through adversity literally with 4 games left in the regular season. We have 7 games left in the regular season. I trust that by the time the playoffs come OBJ will be comfortable in the offense and Von will be comfortable on defense. I think the Rams will be hitting their stride and it doesnt matter if they have home games or road games in the playoffs. This team has the coaching and talent on the roster to make a deep run just like the Bucs did last season and they were more of a mess at this point than the Rams are now. The only game Id be nervous about is round one bc of all the pressure Stafford will have on him to win. If the Rams win even if its by one point, then Stafford will have that playoff monkey off his back and he can take a deep breath and play with less pressure knowing that what ever happens from there on out nobody can say he cant win a playoff game and again with this coaching and this talent the Rams can beat any team in the playoffs no matter where the game is played.  

Goff isn't our QB anymore. I agree that we should make more use of play action, but Stafford doesn't run the offense like Goff. Stafford likes the deep ball more, whereas Goff loved attacking the intermediate range. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I don't think it's as simple as revert the offense back. I also think that Stafford has been playing injured, which is one reason why he has not looked good. I hope the time off has allowed him to heal.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Goff isn't our QB anymore. I agree that we should make more use of play action, but Stafford doesn't run the offense like Goff. Stafford likes the deep ball more, whereas Goff loved attacking the intermediate range. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I don't think it's as simple as revert the offense back. I also think that Stafford has been playing injured, which is one reason why he has not looked good. I hope the time off has allowed him to heal.

Stafford can still take deep shots while running the offense that has made McVay successful. With Goff the frustration was that he stopped taking deep shots. His first half of 2018 was peak Goff bc he was taking shots down the field alot. Goff was the best playaction QB in the NFL at that time. So Im not saying the Rams should completely go back to what they was doing but dont completely abandoned it either. 

As for Stafford being hurt, I do agree he has been hurt but the reason why I dont mention it is bc he has had good games against the Seahawks in the 2nd half AFTER he hurt his finger, the Giants game especially in the 2nd quarter when the Rams scored 28pts Stafford played well, and then the Texans when the Rams were up 38-0 entering the 4th Stafford was playing more than solid. He was dealing with a back injury too that he missed the entire week of practice leading up to the Titans game. He toughed it out but it showed. I look at QBs around the league who when missed an entire week of practice they didnt play well in the game. Dak didnt practice the entire week leading up to the Broncos game and he looked really bad and the Cowboys got dominated. ARod couldnt practice all week leading up to the Seahawks game and he didnt look all that good and the Packers had 3pts entering the 4th. They scored 14pts in the 4th to obviously finish with 17pts and they won but it was mainly on the ground with Dillon and the defense played great against a Seahawks team that you can clearly see Wilson is still hurt. He shouldnt have came back as quickly as he did.

So my point is with Stafford yes the injury can explain alot of the reason for his struggles but we will find out today if the BYE did him and this team in general any good. I think it did and I expect the Rams to get back on track moving forward after the BYE but again we will actually see. Regardless of the system McVay is running he need to get the ball in Henderson and Michel hands more on the ground. You can still be a pass first team and still run the ball at least 20+ times a game. Running the ball 9 times with those backs against the Niners is inexcusable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, Xenos said:

The part I quoted is just the conclusion. There were more specific examples in the article. But yes, Stafford needs to stop turning the ball over. I also think McVay should stop being so conservative at times. And there’s a balance between what Stafford wants to do and what would also help the team offensively.

But the conclusion was wrong lol. Saying 4th down inefficiency has caught up to the Rams implies we've dropped the last 2 because of it. Has nothing to do with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Xenos said:

Yeah, Detroit messed him up. This sounds more than the usual wear and tear suffered during a season.

 

That was one of my biggest concerns with the trade. Hope he can do a lot of winning before his body gives out. He doesn't seem like the type of QB who is going to play into his 40s.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...