Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech agree to part ways. OFFICIAL: Brent Pry (PSU DC) new coach

MikeT14

8 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Oh. It wasn't a Joke. Mullen would do WONDERS at VT. I actually think he is the best hire for them.

If he doesn't bring Grantham with him, agreed. Dude can't and won't recruit with the big dogs, but he is good at finding talented guys that the big dogs pass on. And nobody doubts his offensive brilliance when he's not being lazy. Biggest problems with him are the lazy recruiting, loyalty to underperforming staff, and team playing down to competition.

My quick thoughts:

Virginia Tech is hiring Brent Pry, the DC from Penn State, as the next head coach.

I didn't hear this guy's name at all until yesterday, but now that stuff is leaking out, it sounds like this has been the plan for days and he's been compiling his staff quickly. 

This hire may be a disappointment to some VT fans, but we aren't the LSUs and USCs of the world. It almost feels like a comeuppance for not hiring Bud in '16 as well as hiring the antithesis of Fuente. 

Here's a defensive minded coach who has possibly recruited the DMV area better than ANYONE ACTUALLY IN THE DMV AREA in the last decade (seriously go look at his rivals page). It'll be interesting to see the budget he gets and who he recruits for his staff, and we have time to see how that unfolds, but this seems to nail the Whit Babcock type of VT hire we've seen in the past. I have hope that VT could be back on a path to vie for the Coastal again. 

The key will be how he rounds out his offense. I'll be curious to hear OC names. 

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'll just say this. James Franklin's better half is leaving. Don't think he's elite but he's certainly pulling more weight when it comes to what is offered on the field.

Yeah, I'd def say the one positive from this, since it's mostly an unknown to us VT people, is that PSU is upset he's gone. 

I gotta go look into what types of D you ran. Wonder how far it is from Bud.