17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Didn’t ATL take on as much or more salary?

More.  They completely bailed out LA so that they can get under the luxury tax threshold this year, and be able to afford Kershaw's raise next year and potentially make a run at Harper or Machado.  Braves essentially bought Charlie Culberson, who isn't very good.  

30 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

More.  They completely bailed out LA so that they can get under the luxury tax threshold this year, and be able to afford Kershaw's raise next year and potentially make a run at Harper or Machado.  Braves essentially bought Charlie Culberson, who isn't very good.  

Such a Braves move

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Seems like an overreaction tbh.  Why would you blow up arguably the best team in baseball?  Santana is good but you guys are still a 95+ win team most likely.

It is an overreaction. Just annoyed that they wouldnt be willing to keep him. Over the past two season he developed into one of the top all around 1B in the league. Solid hitter but I loved his glove because he made Lindor and JRam even better and he was one of the best when it came from turning a 3-6 or 3-4 start to a double play.

I dont care about being a 95+ win team, care about having the best roster possible when it comes to the playoffs. Specially with what the Yanks have done, Indians dont need to lose production from first or give up runs because of a lack of defense at the position.

Just sucks this team is suppose to be spending because of the window but they dont want to keep one of their own. I could see if Santana was a rental but the dude has been with the organization since '08. They should of ponied up for him. They might of needed to just match or come close to the phillies roster because the only reason I would want to go to the phillies is if they are paying the biggest amount of money by a large amount. 

35 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The Dodgers kicked in $4.5M though. 

1 minute ago, playmaker8267 said:

^The Indians were prudent not to pay Santana $20M annually imo.

Yeah probably.  Realistically that's probably around where his value is in this market.  Doesn't strike me as a huge overpay... I actually kinda thought someone would give him 4-5 years.  But aging first baseman who hits for a low average with 20-30 homers is replaceable.  

7 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

^The Indians were prudent not to pay Santana $20M annually imo.

I could see being cheap when your chances of being a winner are slim to none. The talent the Indians have, they should of kept this team together even if it meant over paying Santana. I have no problem over paying your own guy than a FA from another team. The life of that contract would of been about the exact time frame of this WS type run window anyways.

They started to build something and the fans started to show out for them because of it. Had one of their best attendance totals in a long time and had amazing numbers when it came to viewers. Being the cheap owners again isnt a good look.

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Yeah probably.  Realistically that's probably around where his value is in this market.  Doesn't strike me as a huge overpay... I actually kinda thought someone would give him 4-5 years.  But aging first baseman who hits for a low average with 20-30 homers is replaceable.  

well I thought his contract was first 3years were at $20m a piece and than some kind of an option for the 4th year at $17m

Just now, buno67 said:

well I thought his contract was first 3years were at $20m a piece and than some kind of an option for the 4th year at $17m

Yeah team option though.  I figured someone would be desperate for a middle of the order bat and guarantee him 4-5 years.  

If you buy the $8MM/WAR hypothesis this is pretty much market.  I don't quite buy that but Santana's WAR is a little more valuable than your average WAR... because chicks dig the long ball and he will bring people to the park in Philly... so not a bad deal for them.  

5 hours ago, mission27 said:

If the Braves are looking to buy ****ty utility players and help teams get under the luxury cap, happy to sell them Ronny Torreyes. 

Actually we got multiple pieces we were looking for in this trade in a vet depth pitcher that is solid who can eat a few innings until our young guys can come up.  We got a utility infielder that has good defense and can play every infield positions plus LF.   The big thing for the Braves in this though is instead of having Kemps crappy contract for 2 years eating our cap space up we moved it all into this year because all but culberson contracts are up after this year.  So that allows us to be bigger players in FA next year instead of having Kemp blocking our elite prospect ronald acuna from coming in and playing a Of position.

In the end it worked out quite well for both teams on either needs or helping the other get some financial freedom and some minor holes filled most braves fans are pretty pleased with the deal overall.

Also with the 4.5 mil the dodgers kicked in both teams came out exactly even on money going out and coming in. 

8 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Actually we got multiple pieces we were looking for in this trade in a vet depth pitcher that is solid who can eat a few innings until our young guys can come up.  We got a utility infielder that has good defense and can play every infield positions plus LF.   The big thing for the Braves in this though is instead of having Kemps crappy contract for 2 years eating our cap space up we moved it all into this year because all but culberson contracts are up after this year.  So that allows us to be bigger players in FA next year instead of having Kemp blocking our elite prospect ronald acuna from coming in and playing a Of position.

In the end it worked out quite well for both teams on either needs or helping the other get some financial freedom and some minor holes filled most braves fans are pretty pleased with the deal overall.

Also with the 4.5 mil the dodgers kicked in both teams came out exactly even on money going out and coming in. 

huh? What multiple pieces where we looking for? 4 days ago snitker was just saying how many options we have for the 5th rotation spot. Culberson has mostly been a negative to average defensive guy throiughout his career, where are you seeing that hes been good?

Archived