17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Season is nearly wrapped up, and the winter meetings are 6 weeks away.

Some notable free agents this year include:

C Jonathan Lucroy
1B Eric Hosmer
1B Carlos Santana
3B Mike Moustakas
OF Lorenzo Cain
OF JD Martinez
OF Carlos Gonzalez
RHP Jake Arrieta
RHP Yu Darvish
RHP Wade Davis

Some potential interesting opt-out cases and Shohei Otani as well.

I've said this before a bunch, but Stanton is effectively untradeable.

• He's going to need some type of persuasion to waive his no trade clause.
  • His opt-out structure with so much back-end money means you either only get him for 3 years after paying prospects like you'd get him for a career or you're stuck with a landmine contract for a decade and can't really predict which one it is.
  • The OF market is saturated.
  • The Marlins are going to want to get premium prospects back.

I can go buy JD Martinez for a third of the price with less risk and still get a lot of that production to address a need. So why am I emptying out my farm system to take on a huge risk of a contract for a guy who's a couple wins better? If it's for a luxury piece and I'm desperate to shell out $250M+, why am I not just waiting a year for Bryce Harper? And Stanton is injury prone on top of it?

Not happening.

This feels like a good year to need RH good middle relief guys as well. I'm sure I'm missing a few guys but apart from the Wade Davis and Greg Holland types you've got:

Luke Gregerson

Brandon Kintzler

Brandon Morrow

Pat Neshek

Final Boss (I don't know how to spell his first name Oh)

Addison Reed

Bryan Shaw

Anthony Swarzak

And that's before you go dumpster diving. Lots of flawed dudes who you could get for a reasonable sum that could actually be good.

25 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

I think their is a better chance the Marlins deal Yelich and Gordon than Stanton. I hear they want to get rid of Prado too, but it's going to be tough to get someone take part of that contact back.

The Giants are said to be the "early favorites" for Stanton if he gets moved according to Heyman. I have no idea how that works. The giants just don't have the prospects, even if they pick up the entire remainder of that contract. Yelich would be a guy I love in SF, but that's going to be super expensive, so no shot that happens. 

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This feels like a good year to need RH good middle relief guys as well. I'm sure I'm missing a few guys but apart from the Wade Davis and Greg Holland types you've got:

Luke Gregerson

Brandon Kintzler

Brandon Morrow

Pat Neshek

Final Boss (I don't know how to spell his first name Oh)

Addison Reed

Bryan Shaw

Anthony Swarzak

And that's before you go dumpster diving. Lots of flawed dudes who you could get for a reasonable sum that could actually be good.

Steve Cishek and Tommy Hunter too

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

The Giants are said to be the "early favorites" for Stanton if he gets moved according to Heyman. I have no idea how that works. The giants just don't have the prospects, even if they pick up the entire remainder of that contract. Yelich would be a guy I love in SF, but that's going to be super expensive, so no shot that happens. 

They gotta do a full rebuild.  They've had off years before but the core guys were in their mid-20s.

This means targeting young unproven players like Didi in 2014, not the Stantons and Yeliches of the world.  And lots of prospects ofc.

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

They gotta do a full rebuild.  They've had off years before but the core guys were in their mid-20s.

This means targeting young unproven players like Didi in 2014, not the Stantons and Yeliches of the world.  And lots of prospects ofc.

Keon Broxton would be a fit.

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

The Giants won't full rebuild.  Can't afford it.They'll add pieces to contend, I'm just not sure how that works with Stanton. I suspect they'll make a push for JD Martinez in free agency though. 

A lot of the core is still at an acceptable age. Belt / Crawford / Panik / Posey are all between 27-30 years old. Pence and Span are older, but they are on the last year of their deals, respectively. The pitching staff is 32 (Shark), 31 (Cueto), 28 (Madbum), 28 (Moore), and Stratton and Blach for the #5 spot are both 27. 

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

They need not terrible outfielders with some sort of upside, so that's a good start.

Yep. Castoffs like Travis Shaw and blocked AAA guys.

Go raid the Indians, Yankees, a few other big market teams with old dude lineups, then raid the Fringe 5 lists.

Just now, Forge said:

The Giants won't full rebuild.  Can't afford it.They'll add pieces to contend, I'm just not sure how that works with Stanton. I suspect they'll make a push for JD Martinez in free agency though. 

A lot of the core is still at an acceptable age. Belt / Crawford / Panik / Posey are all between 27-30 years old. Pence and Span are older, but they are on the last year of their deals, respectively. The pitching staff is 32 (Shark), 31 (Cueto), 28 (Madbum), 28 (Moore), and Stratton and Blach for the #5 spot are both 27. 

That's a worse core than the White Sox, who blew it up and will be better for it. You need to blow it up.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep. Castoffs like Travis Shaw and blocked AAA guys.

Go raid the Indians, Yankees, a few other big market teams with old dude lineups, then raid the Fringe 5 lists.

That's a worse core than the White Sox, who blew it up and will be better for it. You need to blow it up.

But they won't. They can't afford to and they're going to want to ride those guys until the wheels fall off of them (though that really happened last year). That's a lot of salary in there, and there's no value coming back in prospects for those guys coming off mostly down years. Shark has nearly a full NTC. Cueto's salary is a grenade nobody wants. They're not going to trade Buster / Madbum and apparently, Crawford is untouchable for some reason. Panik is the most likely to be moved, but he's really not a problem given the team control left  and age. Belt could potentially be moved, I suppose? I mean, take him out of SF, and his power numbers probably look a lot better, but that contract is a bit of an albatross. Maybe you get someone to bite on Pence or Span for a player to be named type deal where the Giants take on salary. 

They're going to hope that the massive collection of down years last year was just a fluke and see if these guys can rebound next year. 

Archived