17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

On 10/31/2017 at 7:45 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If he goes to California, over the life of the deal he'd be costing himself upwards of $20M in state income tax. Maybe it's worthwhile, but I'd be willing to bet he would want some type of condition.

The opt out is the biggest thing. You can't just say "I think he'll opt in, who knows?". You know you're getting the worst possible outcome. The only way he stays off the market is if you're overpaying. There's no good scenario.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a proposal yet that's remotely feasible. With how the Dodgers are run, I'd be shocked if they went and got him. They just got 4 wins from Chris Taylor for free. They're going to burn their farm system and stop making progress on the luxury tax for 2 extra wins? For what?

I think you can be highly confident that he wont opt-out tbh because you are sure you will be overpaying at the back end of the contract.  Less uncertainty, more certain ****ty contract but you get an MVP candidate for 5+ years.

9 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Should be a fun off-season. Will we see much player movement I wonder? What of Gincarlo stanton? The Yankees were a game away from reaching the World Series. Got to think they're going to do what they can to get to the World Series.

As much as I’d like them to go after CStanton, they don’t really need to.  Team is young and will be better next year.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:38 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

The Cardinals are going to throw a lot of money at Brandon Morrow. 

Wouldn't surprise me.  Cardinals usually overpay for middling players when they miss out on the big fish.

As for the Cardinals, should be an interesting offseason.  They've already been linked to big bats, and there's rumblings that they could go after a big named FA SP.  Add on Mozeliak's comments about looking for an established closer, and this is going to be an interesting offseason.  I don't expect much from the Cardinals, but hopefully I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Yeah so after Yu's quotes last night he ain't coming back here.

Hopefully we completely blow it up and rebuild around Gallo, Odor and Mazara.

Would be unwise to partly build around literally the worst full-time position player in baseball in 2017.

42 minutes ago, CAS22 said:

Would be unwise to partly build around literally the worst full-time position player in baseball in 2017.

So he’s had 2 good years and 1 awful year. He’s on a long term contract. He’s 23 years old.

And despite all his flaws he still has the potential to be one of the most electric 2nd baseman in the game. 

I mean I don’t think we have any better options if that’s what you’re asking, lol.

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

So he’s had 2 good years and 1 awful year. He’s on a long term contract. He’s 23 years old.

And despite all his flaws he still has the potential to be one of the most electric 2nd baseman in the game. 

I mean I don’t think we have any better options if that’s what you’re asking, lol.

What does that mean exactly?

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Y'all have some other bats in the organization in Calhoun and Guzman that I like a lot more.  As you know I have just never been high on Odor because his plate discipline is horrendous.

8 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Bold Toronto predictions

Donaldson reups 5/150

Jays acquire Dee Gordon and Christian Yelich for Miami for Bichette + Alford +

Yelich and Gordon are realistic targets and needs for us 

Wow that is bold. I can't see either happening.

Archived