17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-red-sox-and-jd-martinez-remain-in-stalemate/

People close to free agent slugger J.D. Martinez believe he is willing to "hold out certainly into spring training," per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Martinez and his agent Scott Boras want a seven-year contract worth between $180 million and $210 million, but his best offers right now are reportedly for five years and between $120-150 million. One of those five-year offers was made by the Red Sox, who have seemed like the most logical fit for Martinez since the offseason began. Heyman's sources suggest at least one other team has made a five-year offer too. Martinez, 30, batted .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 104 RBI in 119 games between the Tigers and Diamondbacks in 2017.

11 hours ago, CAS22 said:

TF's offer wasn't great.  I think a Fisher/Martes/Alvarez package is quite fair.

Still doesn't do it for me.  When your two best pieces are a guy with significant control concerns and a bat whose 3 years away, it's not going to be a strong package for an ace.  And it probably doesn't help that I don't like Fisher.  Seems like the exact opposite of the player that the Pirates need.  They still have Gregory Polanco and Starling Marte, I don't think an OF prospect is going to be that much value to them.  Don't hate them for wanting to make Tucker and Whitley untouchable, but I think JBB has to be a part of the deal. JBB, Alvarez, Perez, and something else would be the package i'd target from them.  Don't mind Martes being swapped instead of Perez.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Still doesn't do it for me.  When your two best pieces are a guy with significant control concerns and a bat whose 3 years away, it's not going to be a strong package for an ace.  And it probably doesn't help that I don't like Fisher.  Seems like the exact opposite of the player that the Pirates need.  They still have Gregory Polanco and Starling Marte, I don't think an OF prospect is going to be that much value to them.  Don't hate them for wanting to make Tucker and Whitley untouchable, but I think JBB has to be a part of the deal. JBB, Alvarez, Perez, and something else would be the package i'd target from them.  Don't mind Martes being swapped instead of Perez.

#1 Calling Gerrit Cole an ace is a stretch

#2 Cole is only under team control for two more seasons

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

cole is an ace?  since when?

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:17 AM, flyguy1609 said:

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-red-sox-and-jd-martinez-remain-in-stalemate/

People close to free agent slugger J.D. Martinez believe he is willing to "hold out certainly into spring training," per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

Martinez and his agent Scott Boras want a seven-year contract worth between $180 million and $210 million, but his best offers right now are reportedly for five years and between $120-150 million. One of those five-year offers was made by the Red Sox, who have seemed like the most logical fit for Martinez since the offseason began. Heyman's sources suggest at least one other team has made a five-year offer too. Martinez, 30, batted .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 104 RBI in 119 games between the Tigers and Diamondbacks in 2017.

Teams are right to go no higher than 5 years.  Contracts going into late 30's in the post roid era isn't a great idea.

18 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

since its still slow, those are the big names so far

#BlueJays and Josh Donaldson avoid arbitration, settle at $23 million, per source

Rockies and OF Charlie Blackmon avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $14 million contract

Might have been worthwhile for the Blue Jays to have done this deal earlier with a significant signing bonus to try and get cash-strapped teams in on his trade market.

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Might have been worthwhile for the Blue Jays to have done this deal earlier with a significant signing bonus to try and get cash-strapped teams in on his trade market.

Wouldn't that still count for luxury tax purposes?  

9 hours ago, CAS22 said:

#1 Calling Gerrit Cole an ace is a stretch

#2 Cole is only under team control for two more seasons

He might not be that bonafide ace, but he's a damn good SP.  He's averaged 3.7 WAR over the last three seasons.  He's an ace in the same light that Chris Archer, Carlos Martinez, etc. are.  You're arguing semantics here.  Let's not pretend like upgrading from Brad Peacock to Gerrit Cole doesn't help the Astros out tremendously.

And when did two years of team control become equivalent to a rental?  I'm not bagging just on you, but I've seen this come from Cardinals' fans with regards to Ozuna as well.  You get TWO full years of team control and then you have the right to offer them the QO.  You're not going to get a proven player with a ton of team control unless they're signed to a long-term deal before they hit arbitration.

My argument is that it's bad offer because it's the "extra" you're not afraid to part ways with.  Derek Fisher is a pure LF whose entire calling card is his bat because it's relatively "safe" in terms of projection.  Given the season Marwin Gonzalez had last year, he's going to be given the 1st shot to keep that spot even if he's due for regression.  You're upgrading from Martes to Cole.  As for Alvarez, I've been high on him for about a year now but he's still incredibly far away in terms of development.

Archived