17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Yep. Probably got a steal too. Cards played it well.

Will definitely be interesting to see what he got.  Based off the Reed and Cishek deals, he probably should be in the 2 year, $15 million range.  Still can't believe he was dumb enough to decline the QO.  

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Will definitely be interesting to see what he got.  Based off the Reed and Cishek deals, he probably should be in the 2 year, $15 million range.  Still can't believe he was dumb enough to decline the QO.  

1 yr/ $14 million is what I'm hearing

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Are the Cardinals going to be able to give him a QO after this season? You would hope Holland's agent included a clause saying he had to be released the day after the WS or something like that.

No, because he just received one.  One of the new clauses in the CBA limits the amount of times a player can be given a QO to 1.  Cards can't recoup the pick they are giving up, which is 59 overall in what looks to be a really deep draft.  This pleases me, although the addition of Holland helps out that shaky bullpen.

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

No, because he just received one.  One of the new clauses in the CBA limits the amount of times a player can be given a QO to 1.  Cards can't recoup the pick they are giving up, which is 59 overall in what looks to be a really deep draft.  This pleases me, although the addition of Holland helps out that shaky bullpen.

That's right. Thanks. Draft pick compensation in the new CBA has a thousand out clauses.

Good for him. He's gotten murdered by the QO twice now IIRC.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's right. Thanks. Draft pick compensation in the new CBA has a thousand out clauses.

Good for him. He's gotten murdered by the QO twice now IIRC.

I believe you're right on Holland.  I haven't checked on the specifics either, but does it matter if the QO is accepted or not to count?  If it doesn't, it makes a ton of sense to me for a reliever to accept the QO and make $17+ million for 1 year, and then enter FA with no draft pick attached.  Same with other non-elite position players and lower mid-rotation starters.  Even with the lessening of the quality of the draft picks lost, teams clearly preferred those FAs that didn't receive a QO.

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

I believe you're right on Holland.  I haven't checked on the specifics either, but does it matter if the QO is accepted or not to count?  If it does, it makes a ton of sense to me for a reliever to accept the QO and make $17+ million for 1 year, and then enter FA with no draft pick attached.  Same with other non-elite position players and lower mid-rotation starters.  Even with the lessening of the quality of the draft picks lost, teams clearly preferred those FAs that didn't receive a QO.

Yeah they can only get 1 QO in a career now.

Just checked, Holland had TJ just before he was going to be a FA last time, then took a bounceback deal with the Rockies. So this was his first QO.

15 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I read we gave up pick #59, but we gained pick #76

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I read we gave up pick #59, but we gained pick #73?

Rockies gain a comp pick, which will be #73.  Although it wouldn't shock me if Manfred found some way to give the Cards another pick somehow.

Edit:  Whoops.  Pick #76.

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Rockies gain a comp pick, which will be #73.  Although it wouldn't shock me if Manfred found some way to give the Cards another pick somehow.

It still rustles my jimmies that the Cardinals stole millions of dollars worth of information from the Astros and got almost no punishment.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It still rustles my jimmies that the Cardinals stole millions of dollars worth of information from the Astros and got almost no punishment.

I don't want to talk about it.  I  need to be calm for some client appointments this afternoon.

Archived