Week 11 GDT - Jacksonville Jaguars vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Prater has missed a 36 yard FG and extra point and now the Seahawks are only down 3 SMH. 

Prater missed 2 FG's & an XP, Cards should be up 23-13 at worst

Meanwhile when we played them, Gould was injured in pregame and Wishnowsky missed a FG costing us 3. 

Oh yeah, and Trenton Cannon missing a clean opportunity to down a punt at the 1 and muffing a kickoff 

Wish also missed an XP but we made a 2 point conversion so it evened out 

Feels like Seahawks always get this dumb luck going their way smh

Edited by 49ersfan

So, is this our identity going forward? Long drives with high probability of 1st/2nd down runs, rely on Jimmy G to convert 3rd down, not turn the ball over, and make a couple of clutch throws here and there while our D rests & swarms the QB? 

And, how will teams adjust to this going forward? Are they going to start selling out for the run? If so, will Shanny be comfortable in letting Jimmy air it out every now and then to keep the defense honest?

On a side note, its insane how much Bosa & Samuel are contributing. Great 2019 draft 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I will probably pick Seattle. Can't mess with tradition

AND the game is in Seattle. Granted, we have been much better on the road but never good there, even dating back to the Harbaugh days. Playoffs to me only happen if we win the next two games. Bengals/Titans/Rams are going to be tough games. If we win the next two games and beat the Falcons/Texans? Then we would only need to likely win one of the three tough games I listed. All winnable games but a few with tough circumstances like traveling across the country for a Thursday night game vs the Titans. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

So, is this our identity going forward? Long drives with high probability of 1st/2nd down runs, rely on Jimmy G to convert 3rd down, not turn the ball over, and make a couple of clutch throws here and there while our D rests & swarms the QB? 

And, how will teams adjust to this going forward? Are they going to start selling out for the run? If so, will Shanny be comfortable in letting Jimmy air it out every now and then to keep the defense honest?

On a side note, its insane how much Bosa & Samuel are contributing. Great 2019 draft 

These type of drives are likely not sustainable with any degree of regularity. I do think that we will continue to run heavily

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

These type of drives are likely not sustainable with any degree of regularity. I do think that we will continue to run heavily

Play action and RPO quick slants and bullet routes are one counter. Swings and screens to outflank the defense. Another is run game variety. We mixed outside zone and outside zone sift toss with a lot of split zone getting side to side movement before running it up the gut today and that was pretty successful. Not many gap runs or counter treys compared to 2019 from under center, but we do run power and counter out of shotgun. Deebo got a lot of those reps today. Probably to make it easier on him - in gap, you have one hole to hit. But, overall, we probably are going to need to throw the ball more. Hopefully without under center drop back passes. That has been a positive coaching change. And we’ve got a lot of teams the rest of the way that we can just straight up out talent like we did today. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This. At some point we're going to have to put up points and fairly quickly. This defense isn't above being ran over and beaten over the top repeatedly by better offenses. Eventually we're going to have to create some big play capability from somewhere. These grind-it-out, 14 play, 80 yard drives are cool and all but isn't sustainable w/o a truly elite D. As soon as a miscue or penalty puts us in 3rd and long, its in the opposing defense's favor.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Play action and RPO quick slants and bullet routes are one counter. Swings and screens to outflank the defense. Another is run game variety. We mixed outside zone and outside zone sift toss with a lot of split zone getting side to side movement before running it up the gut today and that was pretty successful. Not many gap runs or counter treys compared to 2019 from under center, but we do run power and counter out of shotgun. Deebo got a lot of those reps today. Probably to make it easier on him - in gap, you have one hole to hit. But, overall, we probably are going to need to throw the ball more. Hopefully without under center drop back passes. That has been a positive coaching change. And we’ve got a lot of teams the rest of the way that we can just straight up out talent like we did today. 

Just to be clear, I'm not really referring to the play calls of play designs or the strategies or on the fly adjustments. I'm just referring to the 16-20 play drives eating up 85% of a quarter. It requires a degree of perfection that no team can manage. I mean, even today...how many times did the Jags actually stop us only to commit a stupid penalty that kept a drive going? I'm thinking at least 3 times? 

I think we will run the hell out of the ball, stay heavy in 21 or 12 personnel and, i hope, when teams push more cover 3 and single high looks against us that we will start utilizing the passing game more for some explosive plays. 

Also, I will say that we faced two defenses that are pretty good the last two weeks so they pretty well bottled up the explosive running plays the last two weeks, which I also don't expect to happen moving forward (starting next week). The running backs (not Deebo) have been running a bit in mud. In all those rushing attempts, we haven't had a single one hit 20 yards (again, this is just from the running backs). I think we've had like 5 runs between those two games even hit 10+ yards? 

• Like 1

Hey don't look now, but it's a second straight week of smiles for the 49ers. I can't remember a game where the 49ers won the jackpot on injury, penalty, and turnover luck all in one day. That was pretty fortunate. Anyway, the entire affair seemed like the typical 49ers "identity" game from Kyle at this best during his tenure thus far. I love Bosa being spotlighted on the telecast and simply making plays. His sack in the third quarter and Jimmy's first touchdown (looked like a Montana throw to me) were probably my favorite plays of the game. Too bad Gumbo didn't play, but hopefully he can armor up against the Vikings. 

Funny, seems like it was just yesterday when the jackals were howling for Shanahan's head, Jimmy was "checked out" on the season or didn't care via Martellus Bennett's insight, and the season was over so Lance should start the rest of the year. My my, funny how the turns have tabled. Ahh wells, just glad for another six days of oxygen and a shot at the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

AND the game is in Seattle. Granted, we have been much better on the road but never good there, even dating back to the Harbaugh days. Playoffs to me only happen if we win the next two games. Bengals/Titans/Rams are going to be tough games. If we win the next two games and beat the Falcons/Texans? Then we would only need to likely win one of the three tough games I listed. All winnable games but a few with tough circumstances like traveling across the country for a Thursday night game vs the Titans. 

Seattle stopped being a house of horrors a while ago. :)

Ewok looks like he's run out of his recovery water. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Nice win although This makes me even more salty about losing to zona three weeks ago. oh well.

Nice to see Kittle get back to back to back red zone TDs. 

Also is it just me or does Sermon just look slow running the ball?

I don't think he looks slow at all, when he hits the hole. But he dances a whole lot. And he runs into the back of his blockers way too often.

• Like 1