Week 11 GDT - Jacksonville Jaguars vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, John232 said:

Definitely wouldn’t mind having Greenlaw long term. Great dude and player, and the leaders are guys you want to hold onto. They do also have slightly different skill sets, but Azeez has  also been really killing it. Makes at least one big play a game. In a game where money needs to be spread out, Greenlaw is the most logical guy to get moved. 

I also just really like how Azeez has worked himself and improved himself to get to this point. Speaks volumes about him. 

I think Greenlaw is at higher level in pass coverage than Azeez, and in today's NFL, that might be what takes a defense at a higher level. Having 2 elite coverage LBs can make the defense real tough to play against. And maybe Demeco deserves some slack for not having his two elite coverage LBs since week 1, and Fred having to do more of that. If you can pass off some of the coverage to Dre, it perhaps allows Fred to make more plays. I think that's where Dre and Azeez differ. Last year, we had very minimal pass rush, with Bosa injured, and Hyder being the only guy bringing any kind of pressure, and Saleh still had this unit playing at a top 10 level in the league. Even without Sherman, and Tartt missing a lot of time again. The 2 coverage LBs were doing a lot of work for that team. Couple that with Jimmie Ward's versatility, and the most blitzing we had ever done under Saleh, and we still had a good defense. This year, we lost Greenlaw in week 1, and never had any kind of consistency on defence. Al-Shaair has had several great games, but he'd had at least two serious stinkers, from my armchair GM standpoint. He has improved a lot, but he's not a surefire starter in my book. He can be used to his strengths, but Greenlaw still is clearly the better players in my mind. NOw, for 2022, is there a chance that a guy like Flannigan-Fowles has secured enough trust from the staff that we could have a FF/AS duo at LB, where FF is the better guy in coverage, and Al-Shaair is the better player in the box, and we could get better bang for our buck than spending money on a better player like Greenlaw? I don't know. What we do know is that when we've refused to spend on known commodity, in recent years, it has usually backfired. It would suck to see Greenlaw be a star elsewhere while our LB position outside of Warner becomes our weakest link, and for not much less money than paying Greenlaw would have cost...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I think Jacksonville's offense is the worst in the NFL on 3rd down efficiency. I'll be despondent if the 49ers defense, which might be at it's healthiest since Week 1, doesn't capitalize. 

I mean the defense is still missing their second best pass rusher, BY FAR their best run stopper and their best corner. Sure it is getting healthier compared to a few weeks ago, but a lot of key pieces still missing where the defense just is not going to be all that great. The best you can hope for is that they are a bend but don't break type of defense that gets key stops in the RZ like this past Monday night.

I would like to see more snaps for Key and get Bosa a few more snaps from the inside. It will be very important to start out relatively fast and not get behind where Lawrence can get comfortable behind their run game. Robinson will likely play and he's not going to be stopped by this front so the less amount of carries he gets the better! 

I'm not so wanting to see this offense be dominant once again. They need to sustain long drives and convert on 3rd downs unlike the first 8 or 9 weeks. That has been a major weakness of this team and one of the things that made Jimmy so effective in 2019 was just how clutch he was on money downs. We saw that against the Rams and need to see that the rest of the season. With Aiyuk getting implemented in the offense and with Kittle returning, this offense really should not be stopped by any defense in the league. They have far too much talent and have good backs to go on top of that. Hoping Moore is able to go and Compton does not start. 

So does Tartt get his spot back this week or we still roll with Hunfanga? I would like Tartt to get his spot back and to get Hufanga snaps on nickel downs with Ward coming up in the slot when the Jags go to 3 or 4 WR sets. 

5 hours ago, GW21 said:

Sounds like Mitchell will be out this week. I really hope Sermon gets some time this week and proves why we moved up to pick him. I think if given the opportunity he will show out and kind of force Kyle’s hand into playing him.

I'm fine with just using Wilson as the bellcow if they go that route. I don't mind using Sermon as well, but at least I know what Wilson is capable of so I would certainly understand their reasoning there. 

Jimmy G has been solid this year. I hope he keeps it up. Not just for us being able to trade him this off season, but for himself as well. Don't want him to have to go the "cut, signed off the scrap heap to compete for a spot". Want someone to want him so he can get that last year of his contract in. Dude has been an amazing trooper, my thoughts on his play at times not withstanding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Wait what? He's a QB now??

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Jimmy G has been solid this year. I hope he keeps it up. Not just for us being able to trade him this off season, but for himself as well. Don't want him to have to go the "cut, signed off the scrap heap to compete for a spot". Want someone to want him so he can get that last year of his contract in. Dude has been an amazing trooper, my thoughts on his play at times not withstanding. 

He's played much better the last three weeks. If he ends the season well, he should put himself in position to go into a decent situation. You don't want him to go to a situation like Goff went to where he looks like crap on a bad team and will now just be seen as a back up going forward. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wait what? He's a QB now??

Georgia southern is a triple option team I'm pretty sure. Breida and McKinnon both went there. I think McKinnon played "QB" there? Maybe Frank Gore jr is doing the same thing? 

• Like 1

I think why Shanahan isn't playing Lance at all, he's already had 2 injury's for playing minimal football. I think a big reason why he kept Jimmy starting, Is he realized after the Cardinal game that for Lance to be successful and healthy he needs to rely more on his passing game for him to be successful long term. He can use his legs but I'm guessing since Lance used his legs A ton. I don't think we see Lance this season, if not later in the on (When we are out of playoff contention). Kyle stated on draft night If Lance beat our Jimmy he would be excited for that means he would be ready for it. Why would Kyle take such a big hit the past month or so just to keep pushing Lance down. This is his I'm fired if it doesn't work out stuff. 

My 2 cents on watching every presser with Kyle and McDaniels. And watching way to much 49ers content. Idk if that's a indication about Lance or about Kyle pushing his job security down the line. I'm hoping for the best, I think Kyle is over thinking the whole situation. Just play Lance next opportunity you can. First big mess up with Jimmy. If he struggles this weekend just pull him. There isn't going to be a better opportunity to get Lance on a good schedule. We don't know how our schedule will be for the start of next season. Could be a hard stretch.

Edited by 49erurtaza

10 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think why Shanahan isn't playing Lance at all, he's already had 2 injury's for playing minimal football. I think a big reason why he kept Jimmy starting, Is he realized after the Cardinal game that for Lance to be successful and healthy he needs to rely more on his passing game for him to be successful long term. He can use his legs but I'm guessing since Lance used his legs A ton. I don't think we see Lance this season, if not later in the on (When we are out of playoff contention). Kyle stated on draft night If Lance beat our Jimmy he would be excited for that means he would be ready for it. Why would Kyle take such a big hit the past month or so just to keep pushing Lance down. This is his I'm fired if it doesn't work out stuff. 

My 2 cents on watching every presser with Kyle and McDaniels. And watching way to much 49ers content. Idk if that's a indication about Lance or about Kyle pushing his job security down the line. I'm hoping for the best, I think Kyle is over thinking the whole situation. Just play Lance next opportunity you can. First big mess up with Jimmy. If he struggles this weekend just pull him. There isn't going to be a better opportunity to get Lance on a good schedule. We don't know how our schedule will be for the start of next season. Could be a hard stretch.

I don't think it is that to be honest. He just wants to protect Lance and put him in when he is fully ready. I do believe he was going to go with Lance against the Colts had he not gotten hurt. He liked enough things that Lance was able to do that game but knows he needs a bit more time. Personally? I would be playing him and getting him his experience right now so he could be prepared for next season. Last game there really was not much use to put Lance in the game as the offense was moving the ball well and Jimmy was playing efficient ball. I do think in the upcoming weeks he will find Lance a few snaps here and there to get him on the field.

• Like 1