Esports Thread (CSGO-LoL-Dota2-Overwatch-CoD-Etc.)

Does anyone follow the Overwatch League? What are your guys opinion about the pros playing on an old patch? This might get better traction in the OW thread, but I think it relates to esports as a whole.

For those who don't know, OWL is currently in a small break and in this break this reworked Hanzo and changed his Scatter Arrow into Storm Arrow (like rapid fire full charged shots I think). By the time the league starts up again the Hanzo will have been live for a couple of weeks (I believe), but OWL will run on an old patch pre-storm arrow. The stage lasts about 1-2 months I think. So storm arrow will have been out for like 3 months before it ever sees pro play. Right now Storm Arrow is also considered OP and they don't change patches mid-season.

I personally think it's dumb. One of the best aspects of esports is being able to play the game they are playing with relative ease. Hell, if you are good enough, you may even play the game with them. At the same time, games have to remain relevant by implementing patches. So if pro play and standard play start to differentiate too much, it will lose one of the factors that makes esports special. 

5 hours ago, HighHopes said:

Does anyone follow the Overwatch League? What are your guys opinion about the pros playing on an old patch? This might get better traction in the OW thread, but I think it relates to esports as a whole.

For those who don't know, OWL is currently in a small break and in this break this reworked Hanzo and changed his Scatter Arrow into Storm Arrow (like rapid fire full charged shots I think). By the time the league starts up again the Hanzo will have been live for a couple of weeks (I believe), but OWL will run on an old patch pre-storm arrow. The stage lasts about 1-2 months I think. So storm arrow will have been out for like 3 months before it ever sees pro play. Right now Storm Arrow is also considered OP and they don't change patches mid-season.

I personally think it's dumb. One of the best aspects of esports is being able to play the game they are playing with relative ease. Hell, if you are good enough, you may even play the game with them. At the same time, games have to remain relevant by implementing patches. So if pro play and standard play start to differentiate too much, it will lose one of the factors that makes esports special. 

Carrying on the trend from last page, they should pretty much just do what Riot does with LCS. Stay on the old patch for a few weeks just to make sure nothing gamebreaking slipped through, then switch. Riot handles it relatively easily with patches every 2-3 weeks, while OW gets real patches much less frequently. No need to stick to the same patch for an entire stage.

4 hours ago, james.mcmurry13 said:

Carrying on the trend from last page, they should pretty much just do what Riot does with LCS. Stay on the old patch for a few weeks just to make sure nothing gamebreaking slipped through, then switch. Riot handles it relatively easily with patches every 2-3 weeks, while OW gets real patches much less frequently. No need to stick to the same patch for an entire stage.

Yea, I do think Riot does a good job with it. Major changes in the offseason. Minor changes that do affect meta balance do occur during the season, but teams are given a couple of weeks to learn the game.

Can anybody link any sites for keeping track of major esports schedule wise? I think most games are fun to watch at high levels but I think a lot of these companies are really bad at marketing their esports, especially their schedules.

They obviously have a big problem with most of them being primarily popular in China and Korea or in Europe rather than NA, so they have to play them at odd times for American audiences, but I never see adds for any of their major championships or anything. It's like the only way to catch esports games are by either purposely seeking them out or if you play the game to begin with.

6 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Can anybody link any sites for keeping track of major esports schedule wise? I think most games are fun to watch at high levels but I think a lot of these companies are really bad at marketing their esports, especially their schedules.

They obviously have a big problem with most of them being primarily popular in China and Korea or in Europe rather than NA, so they have to play them at odd times for American audiences, but I never see adds for any of their major championships or anything. It's like the only way to catch esports games are by either purposely seeking them out or if you play the game to begin with.

https://www.lolesports.com/ for LoL, https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/schedule for Overwatch League, not sure specifically about other games, but I'd imagine most have their own website similar to those.

7 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Twitter and Reddit are both great ways to stay up to date. I have a twitter account that I use strictly for Packers news and eSports news.

To add to @james.mcmurry13 - Rocket League - r/RocketLeagueEsports

13 hours ago, james.mcmurry13 said:

https://www.lolesports.com/ for LoL, https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/schedule for Overwatch League, not sure specifically about other games, but I'd imagine most have their own website similar to those.

What the hell are those times/days for Overwatch? Who has the time to just watch overwatch all evening into the night wednesday through saturday? Every other Esports thing I've seen run tournaments and not leagues for the most part so they have them all day long or whatever but OWL has a chance to establish a good weekly schedule and they pick probably the worst times possible, pretty much only decent timing for west coast people.

4 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

What the hell are those times/days for Overwatch? Who has the time to just watch overwatch all evening into the night wednesday through saturday? Every other Esports thing I've seen run tournaments and not leagues for the most part so they have them all day long or whatever but OWL has a chance to establish a good weekly schedule and they pick probably the worst times possible, pretty much only decent timing for west coast people.

I think it has to do with players coming from all over the world so they don't want to cater to one specific region. They figure if you can't watch live, you'll watch VoDs. 

LCS is the best esports league IMO. 

On 5/15/2018 at 8:22 PM, HighHopes said:

I prefer once the patch goes live, it's implemented everywhere. It throws a cool wrinkle into games and it's exciting to see pros try new builds/strats. SC2 released a major Terran patch earlier this week and the GSL season which is up to round of 16 and WCS Austin which is coming up will both be using it. That adds more fun to the events IMO.

Edited by Mossburg

On 5/16/2018 at 2:36 PM, james.mcmurry13 said:

On 5/16/2018 at 2:36 PM, james.mcmurry13 said:

Found this through the esports subreddit. https://bisclothing.com/blogs/news/whats-happening-may-14th-to-may-21st

It's a blog that seems to cover pretty much every week, and covers Overwatch, Dota2, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, COD WW2, CS:GO, Rainbow six Siege, H1Z1, PUBG, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, Rocket League, Smite, and Street Fighter V.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, TXsteeler said:

For everything super in depth about OW E-Sports

https://www.winstonslab.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...