2021 Week 11 GDT Steelers at Chargers

rsgqmnjfneqk9hwhddve

5-3-1 Steelers visit 5-4 Chargers

When: Sunday, November 21, 2021 @ 8:20 pm

Where: So Fi Stadium Los Angels, CA

Series: Steelers lead 24-10-0

Lat Meeting in October 2019 won by the Steelers 24-17.

A tie is like getting to kiss the girl of your dreams, when she has bad breath!!!

jwdngap4id4-2.jpg

We need some Bush out on the field. Devin Bush that is!!! Bush has looked pretty ordinary this season.

BI2EXB5V6NB4HEELQ6VFW6VA7M.jpg

com·ple·men·ta·ry foot·ball

1293695527.jpeg

1. combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other or another:

2. What the Steelers offense, defense, special teams, and coaching don't do enough of together.

usa_today_14294874.jpg

Time to get big sexy mcnasty in the OL rotation. Dan Moore may be the future at LT, but he is struggling. Make the move to Chuks at LT, bring Zach in on the right side and let Dan Moore plow people as the swing OT. 

182cd34f87a94bffa4d51791d47b32d1.jpg?wid

There is good Ben and bad Ben and there is good Dionte and bad Dionte. Which one do we get this week?

terrible.png

The Steelers run defense was bugging last weekend giving up over 200 yards to the Lions. Getting dominated in the trenches and the ILB'S are M.I.A. Definitely taking it on the chin from one another as well.

GettyImages-1181474463.jpg?w=1024

The defense will be without Minkah due to Covid and possibly TJ due to hip and knee injuries. An already bad defense without its best two defenders doesn't look good going up against an up and coming young QB in Justin Herbert.

th?id=OIP.3CiyZx4zqSxDLg9KFzT7OAHaHa&pid

When will the Steelers start to put it all together? Two steps forward and one back.  They are 4-0-1 in the last five games, but have not played to their potential yet. The road is getting rougher. Maybe Ben comes back, but the holes on defense and playing on the West coast will be a daunting task. If it is Mason, the offense will be fortunate to get 20 points.  I love my team, but they just are not very good right now. This is a game that they typically surprise and play over their heads, but I just don't see it this week. I wish I could be more optimistic, but Chargers outscore the inconsistent Steelers offense 31-20.  I really hope I am wrong! After what I have seen the last two weeks against the Bears and Lions from this team.

new-team.jpg

I give Cassius Marsh a 9.8 on the jumping outward/inward crescent to a jumping spinning inward/outward crescent after his sack of Big Ben. Keep your hands up big guy and definitely don't walk towards the opponents sideline again! 😨

Edited by Steeler Hitman

When will the Steelers start to put it all together? Two steps forward and one back.  They are 4-0-1 in the last five games, but have not played to their potential yet. 

Good write up, but I disagree with this.

This team is largely playing at its talent level.    The OLine, Ben and Canada are going to limit what this offense could be capable of with the weapons we have at skill positions, and that wont change.    The run defense wont improve with the loss of Alualu and two mediocre ILBs who cant shed a block to save their lives.     And the secondary is just below average in talent outside of Minkah, who isnt playing well either.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 43M said:

This team is largely playing at its talent level.    The OLine, Ben and Canada are going to limit what this offense could be capable of with the weapons we have at skill positions, and that wont change.    The run defense wont improve with the loss of Alualu and two mediocre ILBs who cant shed a block to save their lives.     And the secondary is just below average in talent outside of Minkah, who isnt playing well either.

And I still disagree with this.  I think we've played above our heads.  The last two games is really who we are.

49 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And I still disagree with this.  I think we've played above our heads.  The last two games is really who we are.

I was being generous, so I dont even really disagree.

swear everytime we play at chargers the game is either SNF or MNF. the last time we played a afternoon game there kordell and ryan leaf were the starting QB's. I can see this being a blowout in LA favor. I'm getting tired of seeing this steelers offense every week.

17 hours ago, 43M said:

This team is largely playing at its talent level. 

I am usually very ready to defend my position, but I have a lot of questions and honestly wonder if I have not set the bar too high for this team. 

The OLine, Ben and Canada are going to limit what this offense could be capable of with the weapons we have at skill positions, and that wont change.

Maybe that is the answer to my frustration. I may have over-evaluated or over-expected from the OL. I was not expecting the second coming of Cowher Power, but I did think that they would be able to run much more effectively and consistently. I thought the play calling would better adapt to the personnel and style to help make them successful. Injuries are a reality of the game, but I thought that some of the back-up talent was better suited to run blocking than pass blocking. Is Banner still hurt? Why not make the change? I like Moore's potential, but he is being asked to play out of his capabilities each and every week. We are at the mid-point of the season, move Chuks to LT and insert Banner at RT. Put Moore in position to gain confidence and help as a swing OT. We throw short or deep. While some of the pass distribution looks to have changed from the first three weeks, there is still room for improvement and they could get more favorable match-ups/success with the receivers.  They also have a young and up and coming TE. 

The run defense wont improve with the loss of Alualu and two mediocre ILBs who cant shed a block to save their lives. 

I am not expecting them to be at the level they would be with Tyson and Tuitt in the line-up. The loss of Carlos Davis has hurt more than we realize as well. My biggest disappointment is in the ILB play. I thought that Bush and Schobert would be a very dynamic tandem. Definitely have played well under my expectations. But again, maybe I set the bar too high for these players as well.

And the secondary is just below average in talent outside of Minkah, who isn't playing well either.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I honestly can't debate this either. I would like to think that they are actually somewhere between my over expectations and you (and 43Mafia's) expectations. I just don't know anymore. 

Here is my mock draft:
1. Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC

2. Zion Johnson, Guard, Boston College

3a. Marcus Hooker, Safety, Ohio State

3b. Brennan Armstrong, QB, Virginia

6. Isaac Taylor-Stuart, CB, USC

7a. Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami

7b. Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State

where do you have them picking?

7 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Here is my mock draft:
1. Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC

2. Zion Johnson, Guard, Boston College

3a. Marcus Hooker, Safety, Ohio State

3b. Brennan Armstrong, QB, Virginia

6. Isaac Taylor-Stuart, CB, USC

7a. Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami

7b. Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State

I think you seriously reached for Jackson in the 1st.  Edge is really deep in this class and there is no reason to reach for one.

Personally I like Ahmad Gardner( CB Cinn) or Charles Cross( OT Miss St.).  Cross is more likely due to his age.  Another one that I think Tomlin and gang will consider in the first is Brandon Smith( LB Penn St).  I do not like this player in the 1st but he is a pick made for Tomlin.  Young and very athletic but does not know how to play football.

Armstrong would need a lot of work.  His footwork and throwing motion are terrible.  It looks like he has to wind his body up to get any zip on the ball.  Why take a QB who you think will be average at best.  Next year is the year to draft a QB with a premium pick.  Stroud, Young and perhaps McCall and Levis ( the last 2 should return to school to be drafted in 2023 but we will see).

Edited by jebrick

Interesting article on the Athletic looking at pass blocking rates of offensive line league wide. Guess who was number 2?

Yeah, the Steelers. Now, some of that has to do with how quick the ball comes out, but overall, this unit hasn’t been as bad as it was probably thought out to be. Chuks and Turner are actually in the top 10 of their respective positions. Kendrick Green had had a lot of trouble with beef, but has a pretty impressive pressure rate. The one guy that stands out though is Dan Moore. He has over double the pressure rate of the rest of the starting 5 and has 15 more total pressures than the next closest guy. I have been impressed by a 4th round rookie being forced into action, but he is the obvious weak link. 

Seeing how Chuks has been pretty good in the pass blocking portion of the game, I really do think it’s time to switch him sides and get Banner some run. Even if it only lasts a couple weeks and banner is trash, I think Moore could benefit from a breather.