2021 Week 11 GDT Steelers at Chargers

Steeler Hitman

32 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Watched the Saban/Belichick doc last night. Saban had a comment that reminded me of this. He basically talked about how you MUST adapt to your players, not have your players adapt to you. 

Two of the greatest coaches ever believe in that. Tomlin believes the “standard is the standard”. 

You know what’s funny about that. Those two coaches always have guys that do “a job”. 

Belichick was playing WR's and street free agents/practice squaders as DB's in the Super Bowl. And still won.

EDIT: And the point is that Belichick doesn't always have a man for a job. He coaches players to do their jobs very, very well. Far better than Mike Tomlin could ever dream of.

The guys the Steelers put out there on Sunday were not world beaters, but in the secondary? They are guys that have been practicing with the team for weeks if not all season going back to training camp. Some, like Joseph, have NFL starting experience with several teams.

Edited by CKSteeler

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

Belichick was playing WR's and street free agents/practice squaders as DB's in the Super Bowl. And still won.

EDIT: And the point is that Belichick doesn't always have a man for a job. He coaches players to do their jobs very, very well. Far better than Mike Tomlin could ever dream of.

The guys the Steelers put out there on Sunday were not world beaters, but in the secondary? They are guys that have been practicing with the team for weeks if not all season going back to training camp. Some, like Joseph, have NFL starting experience with several teams.

I thought the secondary actually held up pretty well, all things considered. The front seven(minus Heyward and Highsmith) were really bad. I hope it’s the bad D-line causing Devin Bush to stink and not just him being bad, because he stinks this year. There were long periods of time where we had Derek Tuska and Taco Charleton on the field. 

On 11/24/2021 at 3:27 AM, Dcash4 said:

I would agree. I overall think that Claypool has been very disappointing, but there's a lot of meat left on that bone in terms of production. Like, that play on Sunday was a slam dunk TD for 90% of the starting QB's in the league, and Ben couldn't get it there. 

But then there is also the play on Sunday where he has great positioning and gets bodied by a guy 4 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than him and get can't make the grab. I am hoping this offseason he really focuses on detail refinement and play strength.

idk if i'm being overly syntactical here but tbf it wasn't a matter of he "couldn't" get it there; he whiffed on the throw, yeah, but it's not as if he doesn't have the arm to have reefed it the seven extra yards to the endzone

On 11/25/2021 at 2:55 PM, CKSteeler said:

there is a very good reason karl joseph was drafted in 2016 and yet already has experience with several teams

53 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

there is a very good reason karl joseph was drafted in 2016 and yet already has experience with several teams

There is a very good reason that Earthwind Moreland was in the 5th year of his NFL career and still on the practice squad in 2005. There's probably also a reason that Troy Brown was a WR and not a DB, but there he was getting significant snaps in a Super Bowl.

Tre Norword and James Pierre aren't guys signed off the street brand new to the defense. The team signed Joseph near the start of the season. There is little excuse for them being *that* lost as they were on Sunday.