Will Saints land Malcolm Butler before trade deadline?

whodatworm23

Reports are that the Patriots are still very open to dealing starting cornerback Malcolm Butler before todays deadline. Obviously New England much in their trade earilier with San Francisco are looking to add value for a talented player before losing him to free agency.

The Saints were extremely intrested in Butler around draft time but nothing ultimately materialized between the clubs however that does not mean talks ended. Despite drafting Marshon Lattimore in the first round and watching him develop into a NFL star the Saints could be very intrigued by pairing the two (Butler and Lattimore) in thier starting lineup.

The question would be of course compensation. The fact that were at the deadline means the Patriots have lost bargining power if in fact they want to move the player. As with Jimmy Garoppalo they were forced to settle on a 2nd round pick after holding out as long as they could for a 1st. A few years ago the Pats moved stud linebacker Jamie Collins for a 3rd round pick prior to the deadline which is likely around Butler's value here. The Pats typically like to score underused players on cheap contracts in trades as well opening up the chance for the Saints to pull this off.

Currenlty the Saints have such players like DE/LB Hau'Oli Likaha, CB PJ Williams and a slew of mid round picks that could entice the Pats front office to make a move. I even think Delvin Breaux could be had in this trade.

At the end of the day its about building a championship contender over the next few years in New Orleans. Landing Butler could be a big move towards that goal. It would then allow the Saints to focus on resigning Kenny Vaccaro and Alex Okafor this offseason as well as extending Willie Snead. Drew Brees of course would have to agree to a team friendly extention to allow this to happen but if in favt he does it could give the Saints one of the best defensive secondaries in the NFL moving forward.

Sean Payton was enamored with Butler this offseason and I highly doubt the Saints have completely forgotten about the player they were rumored to have a 50 million dollar deal in place with this offseason. With Lattimore on the hook of a rookie contract for the next 4 seasons the Saints could see Butler has a valued commiodity.

Another player rumored to be on the trade block that I'd love to see in NOLA is Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry.

So what do you guys think... Will Butler ultimately end up in the Big Easy?

WHODAT

15 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Doubt Breaux is healthy enough to be traded, but good idea. I would do PJ, Kikaha and a pick.. that would give Belichick two young defenders he could most certainly get something out of...

Not sure id do both and a pick... Rumors are that the Pats have inquired about Kikaha so I could see maybe Kikaha and a 4th for Butler.

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Not sure id do both and a pick... Rumors are that the Pats have inquired about Kikaha so I could see maybe Kikaha and a 4th for Butler.

I don’t see them moving him for that.... I’d be stoked though.

I doubt Miami moves both Landry and uhh, Ajayai? Ayaya? You know who I'm talkin about.....but I would love to see Landry in a Saints uniform. Saints need help at WR.

I think Breaux has more potential than Butler. I would rather the Saints not trade for a more expensive version of what they already have

I kind of see Butler in about the same light as most people see Cassle or Garapalo... works great in the Belechick system, then who knows.

I'm anxious to see how Breaux fits in with Lattimore and crew. That may be all we need right now. Save the draft picks to select more new talent.

16 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

How about Carolina trading Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo? xD Hlaf a game out of first place, and they take away one of the two barely decent options Cam has. It's like they were trying to punish him.

Yeah I don't get that trade at all but I love it. They got back a 3rd round pick from the 5-2 Bills, which will hopefully end up being a late 3rd

Archived