Kirk Cousins is, by every traditional measure, an excellent QB. So why doesn't he win more?

Apparition

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

How common is this? I understand with a young QB or someone new to the team how they might be restricted, but this seems odd.

Not very common as far as I know. Kirk and Zim have never been on the same page and it seems to be coming out more this year between finding out they just started watching film together this year and Zim saying Kirk doesn't have full control at the line.

1 minute ago, Nozizaki said:

I really do feel that Kirk has been horribly unlucky.

His only playoff win is called "The Minneapolis Miracle" ... His signature moment apparently took an act of god, a deliberate divine intervention. I actually think you could argue he's been blessed with good luck, but I wouldn't be the one to ask about these things.

Quite indicative of what is expected of Kirk though. He's not usually bad, but you certainly don't expect him to do anything great either.

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

How common is this? I understand with a young QB or someone new to the team how they might be restricted, but this seems odd.

Hence why most Vikes fan want a new coaching staff. I’m sure this was more common 20 years ago. If Zimmer has success, he loses an OC to HC gig. So I think it’s imperative for Zimmer to let Cousins essentially run the offense on game day. I know Cousins isn’t elite as a QB but he’s sharp and studies a lot so I don’t know why it would be a huge issue. Certainly better than having to essentially lean on Zimmer trying to force the run on 2nd and 10.  

But this just hasn’t happened. Again, I don’t know if it’s a Zimmer trust issue or if he just doesn’t like Cousins. Could be both. 

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

His only playoff win is called "The Minneapolis Miracle" ... His signature moment apparently took an act of god, a deliberate divine intervention. I actually think you could argue he's been blessed with good luck, but I wouldn't be the one to ask about these things.

Quite indicative of what is expected of Kirk though. He's not usually bad, but you certainly don't expect him to do anything great either.

Cousins was not the QB at the time.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

That was Case Keenum. Cousins and the Vikes beat the Saints a few years later in the playoffs though but got crushed by SF the following week.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

That was Case Keenum, Kirk beat the Saints 2 years later in another game.

• Like 1

Still don’t think I would consider cousins unlucky, he’s had great WRs (who have not been happy with him at times) and a top shelf RB with receiving ability.

Though I will say zimmer is not doing him favors if he doesn’t have full control to adjust things on the fly, that’s kinda hard to believe. Not saying I don’t believe it, just that it makes no sense 

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

oh god

But you do bring up a potential topic here. It was known that Zimmer loved Teddy. After the Minneapolis miracle MN had the choice of bringing back Keenum (I’d have been okay with it) signing Teddy (not a fan) but they chose instead to go with CousIns. Keenum was such an anti Zimmer QB with his more reckless and care free play style, it actually got Zimmer further in the playoffs. But I get the feeling Zimmer wanted Teddy that offseason but ended up with Cousins instead. Pure speculation of course but you can kind of connect the dots here based on comments that have been said. Just ask Everson Griffen.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, squire12 said:

At what point is the mediocre team somewhat based on a mediocre QB?

Cook, Thielen,  (Diggs) Jefferson, Rudolph

Barr, Hunter, Griffen, Smith, Kendricks, Rhodes

Those teams in Minnesota have not lacked for talent is seems.

The context of how they lose does not strike me as Cousins' fault.

Minnesota certainly has/had some good/great players over his tenure, but a handful of good players does not equate to a good team. Especially now, as their defense fell off a cliff after 2019.

That said, I think there's certainly an argument to be made that he isn't good enough to overcome his smothering cap hit (only Russell Wilson has a higher 2021 cap hit than Cousins, and Cousins' cap hit increases by almost 50% in 2022, limiting what the Vikings can afford in long-term contracts). But that's more about his contract than his talent.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Kirk is the perfect vikings QB - I sincerely hope the purples extend him for another 10 years so he can retire a viking
And when they build his statue ; they'll be able to save big money on materials because he has incredibly small...hands.

That's how we saved money on the Culpepper statue! 

• Like 1