Kirk Cousins is, by every traditional measure, an excellent QB. So why doesn't he win more?

Apparition

Overcomplicating this.  Cousins is a very good starting qb but not elite.  You need to be an elite top 5 kind of qb to overcome deficiencies around you and I am not talking about on offense.

One thing is for sure, Cousins is going to be under the microscope next year because Minnesota idiotically extended and backloaded his contract.  

10 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Well one guy played for the Lions. The other came to a 13-3 team and proceeded to miss the playoffs.

This is the wrong way to look at it. If Kirk was on the 2017 Vikings they probably would've won the SB. But in 2018 the Vikings were only in most of their games because of Kirk. Defense got banged up and regressed hard. Kicking game was a nightmare. Cook, Theilen, and Diggs all turned the ball over. A lot.

9 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

This is the wrong way to look at it. If Kirk was on the 2017 Vikings they probably would've won the SB. But in 2018 the Vikings were only in most of their games because of Kirk. Defense got banged up and regressed hard. Kicking game was a nightmare. Cook, Theilen, and Diggs all turned the ball over. A lot.

Fumbles.  Cook 2.  Diggs and theilen 1 each.  Cousins 9

Pro football reference has Diggs and theilen responsible for 2 int each.  2 drops for each.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2018_advanced.htm

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:02 PM, Shanedorf said:

Kirk is the perfect vikings QB - I sincerely hope the purples extend him for another 10 years so he can retire a viking
And when they build his statue ; they'll be able to save big money on materials because he has incredibly small...hands.

Well as long as we Vikings fans can get a chuckle from watching Jordan Love start for GB for 10 years, I'll all for it!

I am surprised that no one, literally no one has mentioned about Vikings OLine which has been garbage in pass blocking for the last 6-7 years. Cousins has had good WRs at Vikings but he has had to deal with one of the worst pass blocking OLines over the last 4 years. This year's OLine is the best Cousins has had since he has been in Minnesota and this year's OLine is still below par. PFF had Vikings in bottom8 in pass blocking for each of last 3 seasons. The Vikings coaching scheme also have failed to fully utilize the weapons they have on passing offense due to their obsession with run.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Criminally underrated. Absolutely fine QB.

He's got the Tomlin problem where because he's not Bill Belichick and because they haven't won in a while, all of a sudden he's trash despite every objective measure stating otherwise. 

I think the question is more why despite him looking really good he doesn't win. What is he lacking that aren't reflected on the stat sheet?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I think the question is more why despite him looking really good he doesn't win. What is he lacking that aren't reflected on the stat sheet?

They had a third and one today and ran a FB toss. I'm gonna blow your mind, but it didn't work.

Certainly not groundbreaking. Or an excuse for his entire career. But stupid little things like that add up.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Helps the stats when refs erase 2 INts from the boxscore.

You have to actually catch the ball for it to count as an Int. And the league is always going to call helmet to helmet on a QB. Your  point should have been that Cousins got lucky by two miscues by the Packers defense.