Half-Way Point - Head Coach of the Year

goldfishwars

Halfway Poll - Head Coach of the Year  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your head coach of the year at the half-way point?

• Todd Bowles - Jets
    • Sean McDermott - Bills
    • Sean McVay - Rams
    • Doug Pederson - Eagles
    • Sean Payton - Saints
    • Andy Reid - Chiefs
    • Mike Zimmer - Vikings
    • Other (Please State)

Who is your head coach of the year at the half-way point?

Todd Bowles – The Jets might be 3-5, but bar a small collapse against the Raiders they’ve been competitive in every game they’ve been in this season despite pre-season expectations going as far to suggest this could be the worst playing roster in the modern NFL.

Sean McDermott – The Bills are 5-2 playing with a razor thin roster, but a gameplan on both sides of the ball that has been executed so well it’s made them incredibly difficult to play against. Buffalo were supposed to be tanking, but they’ve been focussed and prepared.

Sean McVay – The Rams became stagnant and uninspired during the Jeff Fisher era, but a new coaching regime had breathed life into a still talented roster on both sides of the ball. McVay clearly deserves enormous credit for Jared Goff’s turnaround after so many were ready to write him off as a bust.

Doug Pederson – 7-1 speaks for itself, almost incredible considering we are only a couple of years removed from a Chip Kelly regime that looked like it would take years to get over and it’s telling that players from that era are flourishing (Ertz, Agholor) under Pederson.

Sean Payton – The Saints have gone 5-2 having turned around early losses into a five game winning streak. With key additions to the defense really paying off, Peyton finally has the kind of rounded team that last saw his team win the Super Bowl.

Andy Reid – The Chiefs have emerged 5-2 from a difficult opening schedule with Alex Smith playing the best football of his career just as his job looked in threat and a rookie running back ready to run over the league.

Mike Zimmer – No quarterback, no problem. The Vikings looked a little lopsided in favour of the defensive side heading into the year, even moreso when Bradford and Cook went down. But instead of shrinking, they’ve emerged even stronger.

Tomlin probably deserves a mention as well.

Lots of good candidates, I'd go with McDermott right now because the Bills are playing like a top10 team with a bottom10 roster. Zimmer, Peterson and Reid are close and don't rule out BB if the Pats finish strong

Bills bottom 3 is questionable. But everyone had Goff written off as a bust and his career has turned around under McVay. Gurley has been resurrected as well. Worst scoring offense in the league to the best in one season.  Changed culture in one year. Worst to potentially first in the division. Great offseason moves in Whitworth, Woods, Barwin. And youngest coach ever will play well in voting. As long as Rams finish 10-6 or better and make the playoffs, i don't think it's close. Also, Bills 7-9 last year and Rams 4-12 plays a factor. No, I don't think it's close right now. Subject to change, but the thread is Half-Way COTY.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

It's McVay and it's not even close.

Huh??? Maybe Jeff Fischer just really sucked but you have the 1st overall pick @ QB, 4th overall pick in Sammy Watkins, Todd Gurley 10th overall pick, Robert Woods 2nd rounder... Then a talented defense coached by Wade Phillips. I agree he is getting more production out of your skill positions but he also has UBER talented players at every skill position.

Sean McDermott is 5-2 and everyone in the world thought the Bills were tanking. They're not great teams but we've beaten the Falcons, Raiders, Broncos, Bucs and Jets with a "bottom 10" talent wise team.

I don't see how it can't be Sean McDermott, especially with the culture change around the Bills organization. He's brought stability, leadership and accountability.

I agree McVay has done an amazing job but so has McDermott, who has the same record on a team with way less "talent".

10 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Huh??? Maybe Jeff Fischer just really sucked but you have the 1st overall pick @ QB, 4th overall pick in Sammy Watkins, Todd Gurley 10th overall pick, Robert Woods 2nd rounder... Then a talented defense coached by Wade Phillips. I agree he is getting more production out of your skill positions but he also has UBER talented players at every skill position.

Sean McDermott is 5-2 and everyone in the world thought the Bills were tanking. They're not great teams but we've beaten the Falcons, Raiders, Broncos, Bucs and Jets with a "bottom 10" talent wise team.

I don't see how it can't be Sean McDermott, especially with the culture change around the Bills organization. He's brought stability, leadership and accountability.

I agree McVay has done an amazing job but so has McDermott, who has the same record on a team with way less "talent".

Our first round QB was written off as a bust until Mcvay resurrected that. Gurley was starting to be written off after a HUGE sophomore slump and has become a pass catching RB under McVay. McVay traded for Sammy Watkins and signed Robert Woods so those are positives in his column. He's accumulated talent and developed it, I don't see how that can be considered a strike against him. Being a coach that lacks experience and knowledge of defense, what does McVay do? He brings in Wade Phillips who has everything he is lacking. These are not knocks on McVay, they are enhancements of his COTY award.

Archived