Half-Way Point - Head Coach of the Year

goldfishwars

Halfway Poll - Head Coach of the Year  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your head coach of the year at the half-way point?

• Todd Bowles - Jets
    • Sean McDermott - Bills
    • Sean McVay - Rams
    • Doug Pederson - Eagles
    • Sean Payton - Saints
    • Andy Reid - Chiefs
    • Mike Zimmer - Vikings
    • Other (Please State)

McVay and McDermott are 1a and 1b in my book. The Bills have all the draft picks in the world and continue to win dispute trading our best players away. Id give it to McD tho with us supposedly in tank mode. Heck even I was starting to slightly believe that we may be tanking.

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Our first round QB was written off as a bust until Mcvay resurrected that. Gurley was starting to be written off after a HUGE sophomore slump and has become a pass catching RB under McVay. McVay traded for Sammy Watkins and signed Robert Woods so those are positives in his column. He's accumulated talent and developed it, I don't see how that can be considered a strike against him. Being a coach that lacks experience and knowledge of defense, what does McVay do? He brings in Wade Phillips who has everything he is lacking. These are not knocks on McVay, they are enhancements of his COTY award.

Coaches coach... Front office are the guys who bring players in unless youre Belichick. This argument is more for Less Snead as Excucutive of the Year.

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Our first round QB was written off as a bust until Mcvay resurrected that. Gurley was starting to be written off after a HUGE sophomore slump and has become a pass catching RB under McVay. McVay traded for Sammy Watkins and signed Robert Woods so those are positives in his column. He's accumulated talent and developed it, I don't see how that can be considered a strike against him. Being a coach that lacks experience and knowledge of defense, what does McVay do? He brings in Wade Phillips who has everything he is lacking. These are not knocks on McVay, they are enhancements of his COTY award.

Lmao, that's hardly COY inspiring. And phrase the offensive pieces however you'd like, only an idiot like Fisher could have kept such personnel - even sans Watkins and Woods - back like he did. 

I'm far more impressed by Bowles, McDermott, Zimmer, and Pederson. Bowles team was, as the OP stated, completely written off as one of the worst rosters of all time and he currently has them 3-4. Same goes for McDermott. I'd love to see how McVay would do if his offense suffered the same injuries that Zimmer's has (playing the entire season sans week 1 with a 3rd string QB, ROY candidate RB out for the year, star WR with a bad groin, both T's with injuries coming into the season), yet Zimmer's squad is just as good if not better than the McVay's. Don't even get me started on Pederson.

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

You won't get any qualms out of me if he were to win, but to say it's not even close is laughable when people had the Bills finishing bottom three in the league. 

Not disagreeing with you at all, the not close is laughably subjective. However the Rams on this forum weren't picked to be higher than the Bills by many around here, some even had them lower. Both coaches have done an amazing job in their first years. 

Ill have to go with Marrone.  Sorry but your telling me a team that is 12th in yards per game offensively and 8th in points per gane defensively with bortles as your qb doesnt deserve mention and the crazier part is they have been doing it without their best wr(arob) and best oline(linder been out like 3 weeks). 

6 hours ago, RuralBill said:

Lmao, that's hardly COY inspiring. And phrase the offensive pieces however you'd like, only an idiot like Fisher could have kept such personnel - even sans Watkins and Woods - back like he did. .

It's hardly COY-inspiring that a Head Coach recognized his limitations and turned one of his units over to one of the best minds in the game? That's exactly what makes a Head Coach great. His ego doesn't prevent him from making moves that most benefit the team. That's something a lot of HCs in the NFL, including Jeff Fisher, could not and cannot do.

Putting together a great staff is absolutely part of what makes a guy COY-worthy.

I would say Pedersen by resume, took a team coming off a 7-9 year that was expected to finish 3rd or 4th in division, and currently has them at a league best 7-1 with most of the additions outside of Alshon being fairly minor.

If I'm voting based on how much of an impact I think the coach has actually had, I would go with McVay. Don't think they're sitting at 5-2 if not for him. While with the Eagles' I think their success has far more to do with Wentz's progression as a player and Schwartz than it does DP... but I am a DP hater.

McDermott has to get a shout as well. 

How often does this award NOT go to the team with either the best record, or second best? 

So it could/should be one of McVey or McDermott, but if they both end up with 9 or 10 wins, whilst KC and PHI move on to like 13 or 14, would the former two have a shot?

McDermott easily, he took a talent-deprived team and put them in favorable situations to succeed. Rams had a nucleus of talent initially toxified by Jeff Fisher's incompetence, a mid-tier coach could've put us back into respectability 

On 10/31/2017 at 11:41 AM, JDBrocks said:

This not even close stuff is funny. Of course it's close. People disagree over this kind of thing pretty frequently.

Yup, I wouldn't have a problem with anyone if they chose one of McDermott, McVay, Pederson, Zimmer, or Payton.  I doubt anyone thought last season that Garrett was undoubtedly COY and that it "wasn't close"

Archived