Half-Way Point - Head Coach of the Year

goldfishwars

Halfway Poll - Head Coach of the Year  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your head coach of the year at the half-way point?

• Todd Bowles - Jets
    • Sean McDermott - Bills
    • Sean McVay - Rams
    • Doug Pederson - Eagles
    • Sean Payton - Saints
    • Andy Reid - Chiefs
    • Mike Zimmer - Vikings
    • Other (Please State)

4 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

Dougie Fresh and the Flying Phillies.

Surging offense and defense despite injuries. Developing a franchise QB. Scary front-7 and offensive line. They’re set to be good for a while. 

While all of this may be true, there were even worse expectations for Goff , Gurley and the Rams.

I'd go McVay unless the Eagles go bananas in the 2nd 1/2

I'm gonna go with Sean McVay because he worked literal magic on that offense compared to a year ago.

Pederson is a medicore coach(but good at offenses) who lucked into a good QB and situation in Philly and will continually be overrated by that.

Todd Bowles? Yeah no.

Sean McDermott will come crashing back down to earth because the bills always do. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm gonna with history on this one.

Andy Reid/Sean Payton/Zimmer all deserve decent consideration especially Zimmer because he's had his backup QB for all but 2 games (and he sucked in the 2nd one) and is 6-2. 

26 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Hes the one who assembled this staff.  The team is 8th in points scored, 12 in yards gained offensively with Blake "im tom brady in garbage time" Bortles at qb.  The oline this year has improved some.  Instead of being like Gus bradley hes letting wash run the defense how wash wants and wash is putting the players in positions to succeed and its working. 

You wanna talk about worthy the jags are 2nd in the league in point differential to the eagles who are 7-1 and lead them by 3 points.  Hes taken a largely unchanged offensive talent(its 2 new starters with fournette and robinson) and they have improved tremendously. 

The Jaguars are third in point differential. The Eagles are at +76 (with one extra game). The Rams are at +74, and the Jaguars are at +73. 

Marrone definitely should be a candidate and to me McVays rams offensively arent that great.  They were pretty much gifted 20 points by the jags special teams. 

McVay's offense is second in the NFL in PPG and ninth in the NFL in YPG, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

At this point I think you have to go with Doug Pederson.  I'm not going to say it's not close, but this very second I feel like Pederson is the no-brainer option.  The Eagles have the best record in football.  I think a lot of people pegged the Dallas Cowboys to win that division.  A reasonable amount of people probably had the Eagles not even making the playoffs.

3 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Are they? Roster and team look great right now but looking at the 2018 cap there's a big red flag looking at them. Without a cap increase it's looking like you're over the cap next year. Yes there will be an increase but the early projections are for a $178 million cap leaving about $4 million in space. Looking back the Eagles have been rolling over about $8 million a year for a few years and that's the only open space they've had each year. Interested to see how it actually plays out but the early look at the books is not very promising.

I can see you haven’t heard of Howie Trollsman aka “The Cap Wizard”...

Us Eagles fans never worry about the money or cap ‘cause every makes it all work. It’s never ever come to being an issue.  He’ll make it every year.  People said didn’t have much to spend this year and we still got Alshon Jeffrey, Legarrette Blount, and Ronald Darby. Just added Ajayi for peanuts.  Howie just strolls up, looks at your girl, and takes her home. There’s nothing you can do about it. 

1 hour ago, jonu62882 said:

Us Eagles fans never worry about the money or cap ‘cause every makes it all work. It’s never ever come to being an issue.  He’ll make it every year.  People said didn’t have much to spend this year and we still got Alshon Jeffrey, Legarrette Blount, and Ronald Darby. Just added Ajayi for peanuts.  Howie just strolls up, looks at your girl, and takes her home. There’s nothing you can do about it. 

The Eagles will be fine in terms of cap, but they're not going to have the money to spend that other teams do. That all said, you traded for half the guys on your list (using draft picks) and signed Blount on the cheap because there weren't really other takers. Jeffery is the only big name you got, and he took a "prove it" deal.

So he wasn't really taking anyone's girl. 

4 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

While I'm sure he's done an amazing job of managing the cap I have to agree with Jrry. Your current status for 2018 has you over the cap with 13 free agents and 8 or 9 of them seem to put in some significant play time even if it's only special teams. Another interesting look is you currently have nobody over a $10 million cap hit and next year you have 7 and that doesn't include Alshon who's on a 1 year prove it deal. There are always ways to manipulate the cap but it's not always sustainable. 

Anyways I've derailed the thread enough back to COY and away from capology.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:46 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

How often does this award NOT go to the team with either the best record, or second best? 

So it could/should be one of McVey or McDermott, but if they both end up with 9 or 10 wins, whilst KC and PHI move on to like 13 or 14, would the former two have a shot?

when a team goes from worst to the playoffs it tends to happen. I remember Sporano getting it when he took the Fins who were 1-15 the year before to the playoffs. McVay could win it if the Rams go let's say 11-5 even if the Pats/Chiefs finish with 14/13 wins.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The Jaguars are third in point differential. The Eagles are at +76 (with one extra game). The Rams are at +74, and the Jaguars are at +73. 

McVay's offense is second in the NFL in PPG and ninth in the NFL in YPG, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Lets not diminish the fact a bortles led offense is 8th in ppg. Thats more impressive imo over a 2nd with goff. Its not a wonder how good a 1st round qb can look when you give him some good recievers and a stud lt. 

3 hours ago, TedLavie said:

when a team goes from worst to the playoffs it tends to happen. I remember Sporano getting it when he took the Fins who were 1-15 the year before to the playoffs. McVay could win it if the Rams go let's say 11-5 even if the Pats/Chiefs finish with 14/13 wins.

I think marrone would have a pretty goid case if he gets the jags into the playoffs and our road to the playoffs isnt really that difficult if you look at the remaining schedule right now the only 2 team with a winning record is the seahawks and titans.  

6 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

I think marrone would have a pretty goid case if he gets the jags into the playoffs and our road to the playoffs isnt really that difficult if you look at the remaining schedule right now the only 2 team with a winning record is the seahawks and titans.  

Marrone has definitely a shot but three things can hurt this case imho:

1. Jax FO has invested massively on defense over the last 3 years so it's great it's paying off, but really nobody expected the Jaguars defense to be bad with the players they have.

2. Playing in the AFCS, especially in the wake of Watson injury, will probably hurt his candidacy in the eye of some voters in the sense that's it's easier to get a playoff qualification in the AFCS than in other divisions (NFCE for Pederson for instance or AFCN for Zimmer)

3. Bortles will probably single-handidly lose some games.

So if Jax wins 12+ games, yes he has a great shot. If they win between 9-11 games and get to the playoffs, probably not.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

The Jaguars (yes, Jaguars) are playing historically good defense http://es.pn/2zay06n
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Just saying;) granted the whole season hasnt been played but its been crazy good. 

That's the key point.  The whole season hasn't been played yet.  Plus, most of the best defenses are remembered because they went to the Super Bowl or won it all.  The Jaguars might not even make the playoffs (that's still very much up in the air, as of right now).  I like the Jags and they've been great this year, but talking about all-time pass defense is worthless right now.

Archived