Last of Us 2 - POTENTIAL SPOILERS. Poster Beware

BobbyPhil1781

I cannot wait for this. I got the first one just from the amazing reviews and didn't realize just how captivating it would be and how much I would really, really like the characters. Was my first PS4 experience so it definitely started me out on the right foot lol. It's going to be tough to be on par w/ that game and I get it so hoping for the best!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/22/2017 at 2:15 PM, Nex_Gen said:

Yep. That trailer was spine tingling. It'd be interesting to see who these characters are in correlation to Ellie/Joel. Cannot Wait......

A lot of (pretty believable) conjecture that the buff woman who gets saved from hanging is Ellie's mother Anna. 

Am I the only one that found the first one to be.... meh?

definitely a very good story, writing, etc. but the gameplay was good but not outstanding and I had zero interest in replaying. It also wasn’t very long.

it was a good game, but I just never got a feeling of it being GREAT

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

definitely a very good story, writing, etc. but the gameplay was good but not outstanding and I had zero interest in replaying. It also wasn’t very long.

i feel like you didn't play it right 

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Agree with you. I'll probably do what I did with the first one and YouTube the story.

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

9 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

i feel like you didn't play it right 

A couple of Q's:

1.  Did you find the game difficult, easy, or in-between?   If it was too easy, did you change the settings?   It's very possible to play the game on easy without being stealthy - which would take away the reward in trying to be as stealthy as possible.    If that was the case, I think that's what @Troy Brown was getting at.

2.  Are you a fan of the survival-horror genre?   If not, are you more of an action, battle, sports guy?   Or a RPG/story guy?  Or a multi-player mode fan?

I'm a RPG/story/survival-horror fan, so this game checked all the boxes.   And still IMO the most nuanced story so far as making a flawed hero/heroine you can root for.     And unlike most games, it's a game that starts off with just regular people - and they gradually evolve into characters you care about, while at the same time never losing that feeling that they're just broken people trying to survive.  Their choices are amoral at times, but yet very plausible in the apocalyptic scenario they face.   They're not the megaheroes we see in typical disaster movies.  I think that's a huge part of the appeal.

Now, replay value is definitely lower in terms of no multiplayer mode - but a game like LoU doesn't really lend itself to multiplayer mode.   In reality, it's meant to be a 15-20 hour movie experience with gameplay throughout.    I used to be a 60-100 hour per game guy, but nowadays, with family/work, I'm looking for bang for my buck in making a game a great 15-20 hour experience.   I'm not in it for the multiplayer mode - but I did the game 3x through (once to get my brother to play it the week he came to visit), and another once the PS4 version came out (with the extra chapter added in).     

I think the main issue with LoU when people look back is that it's meant to be one self-contained story, with little to no multiplayer/battle mode afterwards that we've come to see with other games.    I still think story-wise, it's still the game of the decade.   I love the gameplay - but I'd be the first to say it's an experience that's short in duration.   I don't mind at all though, given the high quality values in story, stealth gameplay and Joel & Ellie.   

Normally I worry a ton about sequels, but if there's a team that can do sequels that surpass the original, it's Naughty Dog.   Here's hoping they can recreate that same magic they achieved with Uncharted (as the 1st was definitely the weakest).   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

That was literally my only gripe w/ it.

IMO, it was one of the best games I've ever played. Joel and Ellie were absolutely perfect characters. They could've had a better villain but that's a small gripe.

Edited by JTagg7754