Eagles Acquire Jay Ajayi for 4th Round Pick

WeaponX

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

It's the opposite, as a 24 year old he's got a TON of miles on him. He carried the ball in massive amounts in college, and he fell to the 5th because of concerns about his knees. 

his knees are actually shot and he misses a decent amount of practice time because of it. that's really the main concern for him right now

2 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Well, I don't know how much of a "dynamic" receiver Ajayi is either. He can catch the ball it seems, but I don't think he's a massive upgrade over Smallwood in that regard.  Certainly a better runner though. 

Smallwood has 16 career receptions.

Blount has 50 in 7 years.

Ajayi's got 48 receptions in the limited time he's played.

1 minute ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

his knees are actually shot and he misses a decent amount of practice time because of it. that's really the main concern for him right now

I like the move for right now but Ajayi is a guy who probably doesn't make it past 27 in his playing career.

Also, if Ajayi was liked in the locker room I can't imagine this will sit too well after Gase blaming so much of the teams problems on the offense itself. Seems like when McDaniels got all uppity and started handing out ultimatums in Denver.

3 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

this is a concern, but if he rotates 12-16 touches a game should be fine. he doesnt have to be a workhorse 

More shocked then happy right now. I'd like to be excited but he's prone to injury and I'm hoping 2016 wasn't a fluke because it was the Dolphins.

If he can be our Go to Pound the Rock RB he was in 2016, Phenomenal value, Wentz has his Work horse RB for the next few seasons. If he whines up Gimp, for some Reason a bad apple in the locker room, disrupts the chemistry, Not a fan. Hope he fits in both ways!!!

Howie being Howie. 

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

this is a concern, but if he rotates 12-16 touches a game should be fine. he doesnt have to be a workhorse 

Agreed - if it's an actual timeshare between Ajayi and Blount he'll be fine and we should be able to manage the wear on his body throughout the year. It's just past this year that I worry about because he'll most likely be the bell cow next year. 

15 minutes ago, Phire said:

oh god is it possible we trade Smallwood? Did we save his health last game?

I would be for that. We cant keep all these backs and he isn't special. Clement and Barner do more on special teams. So I imagine we would keep Ajayi and Blount as a one-two punch then use Clement and Barner on special teams.

Just now, MemphisEagles said:

I would be for that. We cant keep all these backs and he isn't special. Clement and Barner do more on special teams. So I imagine we would keep Ajayi and Blount as a one-two punch then use Clement and Barner on special teams.

Exactly. I think the writing is on the wall for Smallwood.

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

Smallwood has 16 career receptions.

Blount has 50 in 7 years.

Ajayi's got 48 receptions in the limited time he's played.

Ajayi has a way bigger sample size than Smallwood does.... lol.

He played 15 games last year and had 27 receptions, that's not terrible, but not exactly a dynamic receiver out of the backfield. For reference, Smallwood is basically on the same pace this season.  Regardless, I think he's an upgrade as an overall back, but there's definitively some concerns behind his play this season and all the info leaking out.

11 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I like the move for right now but Ajayi is a guy who probably doesn't make it past 27 in his playing career.

Also, if Ajayi was liked in the locker room I can't imagine this will sit too well after Gase blaming so much of the teams problems on the offense itself. Seems like when McDaniels got all uppity and started handing out ultimatums in Denver.

Gase is buddy buddy with Jay Cutler probably protecting him.

21 minutes ago, Jlash said:

It's the opposite, as a 24 year old he's got a TON of miles on him. He carried the ball in massive amounts in college, and he fell to the 5th because of concerns about his knees. 

Yeah what I meant is that he does have a lot of him. My bad.

Archived