GM-HC options

Rolni

Hey there!

I try to come up with some logical or would be nice GM-HC combos. Would like to here your inputs on my duos and also would like to read yours!

One pair for me would be Ed Dodds and Matt Eberflus from the Colts.

Another one would be Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll from the Bills.

The last one is a made up pair, which would be a really interesting one IMO. Joe Hortiz from the Ravens as GM and Nathaniel Hackett from the Packers as HC.

The Dodds-Eberflus duo would be a pretty solid one IMO, but definately not a sexy one. There would be also big questions about the new OC. Mike Groh might be that guy, who could be a good find, but would not be a sexy pick up. This no nonsense duo could be however what we and the organization needs after these TV star, media guy celebrity duo we just had recently...

That Bills pair would be a really interesting one IMO. Brian is definately one of the better O minds in todays game and he works under a defensive HC, so we can assume his O would stay good. It is a big question whether he could be HC or not, one can find different opinions in the internet about that. His DC choice would also be interesting, maybe they could\would keep the excisting D staff, since they are used to the 4-3 D anyways :)

Joe Hortiz seems to be a great GM candidate, but I couldn't find anyone on the Ravens current or previous staffs who could be his guy, so I tried to pair him up with a HC candidate I find pretty interesting and whose team doesn't have a solid GM candidate to pair with :)
Nathaniel Hackett works under an offensive HC right now, but he showed in the past that he can call plays in the NFL and every report is super high on him and his effect on this GB offense. The bonus here would be Adam Stenavich as our OC, who is an up and coming OL coach, who could fix our OL. Another interesting thing is that Hackett worked with Bradley in Tampa, so they might get along well...

Right now my top choice would be the Hortiz-Hackett duo with Stenavich and Bradley as coordinators. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

I have to be honest Rolni and say I simply don't know enough to put forward any GM candidates, I'd simply be piggybacking other people's ideas but the three you've listed seem interesting. I have my reservations about Daboll as a HC, I don't have any real intel just think he may be a better co-ordinator than HC. I like picking from the Ravens tree of knowledge, they've been a very well run organisation for a while now so that could be a good option and I feel like David Shaw would be a good HC candidate but wonder if he'd want more control. That may be the only way to tempt him from Stanford. I usually tend to look at guys who've done ok with below average tools rather than guys who have a good year and are hot commodities but have a lot to work with.

One thing I do think is that we absolutely have to get the structure right. We need a GM with full powers and the HC reporting to him. Have a clear strategy, vision of how they want the team to play and chain of command and give them a reasonable time to put their plan in place and see their vision. 

12 minutes ago, bullslugg said:

Mark Davis selling team would be a good start

I don't understand this stance.  Do people not think he's trying to win?  What's the issue with MD?  I'm not being a jerk I just actually for real don't understand this stance and I've seen it now a few times.  

• Like 1

My first two options for a GM would be Mike Borgonzi from KC or Ed Dodds from Indy. Both come from winning organizations. Both have found success in different ways. 

I am not sure if either of these two guys worked with Doug Pederson but both guys come from franchises who have HCs who have ties to Pederson so that can help Pederson out. 

Borgonzi should be the teams top choice. Have to figure Eric Bieniemy would be a package deal with Borgonzi or at least a heavy favorite to land a job where Borgonzi goes

Edited by agarcia34

34 minutes ago, Totty said:

I don't understand this stance.  Do people not think he's trying to win?  What's the issue with MD?  I'm not being a jerk I just actually for real don't understand this stance and I've seen it now a few times.  

Sure, he wants to win. However, Davis has no idea how to build a franchise. He gave a 10 year 100 million contract to a retread coach from a decade ago as a prime example. That is a guy who is running things off emotion, not logic. He made his hand picked HC (Del Rio) fire himself... what kind of leader does that?

After he took over the team, he hired Reggie without interviewing anyone else. Took advise from a small group of former Raider people like John Madden. 

What trust should anyone have that he can identify someone outside the organization for his GM and HC jobs? It will likely be rinse/repeat of him hiring someone with Raider ties. Someone chosen by his circle of "advisors" who include mostly former Raider people. Hell, I'd venture a guess Gruden will have a large part in consulting with Davis on this next hire. 

Bottom line is, the guy is Tommy Boy. Al wouldn't let him near the team because he knew he wasn't cut out for it. He jokingly said he didn't have a job until he was in his 50's in a recent interview. He is not capable to building a winning franchise.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I want an analytics GM or someone from a good drafting team like the Chargers, Bills, Ravens, or Packers. Head coach needs to be a CREATIVE offensive mind. Daboll could work. Lincoln Riley too.

So you're saying there's a chance?.....

hungry GIF by SB Nation

• Like 2

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Sure, he wants to win. However, Davis has no idea how to build a franchise. He gave a 10 year 100 million contract to a retread coach from a decade ago as a prime example. That is a guy who is running things off emotion, not logic. He made his hand picked HC (Del Rio) fire himself... what kind of leader does that?

After he took over the team, he hired Reggie without interviewing anyone else. Took advise from a small group of former Raider people like John Madden. 

What trust should anyone have that he can identify someone outside the organization for his GM and HC jobs? It will likely be rinse/repeat of him hiring someone with Raider ties. Someone chosen by his circle of "advisors" who include mostly former Raider people. Hell, I'd venture a guess Gruden will have a large part in consulting with Davis on this next hire. 

Bottom line is, the guy is Tommy Boy. Al wouldn't let him near the team because he knew he wasn't cut out for it. He jokingly said he didn't have a job until he was in his 50's in a recent interview. He is not capable to building a winning franchise.

If we had a tech CEO, I can almost guarantee we'd be good in 2-3 years. Mark is not a smart guy and isn't very good at anything. He just fell into this gig.

• Like 2