GM-HC options

Rolni

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Same. I imagine it will be someone with Raider ties. Best case it's David Shaw, though he's pretty conservative offensively which would suck. 

I'd like David Shaw personally. Stanford is conservative offensively but a lot of that has to do with the fact that they have to be in order to be competitive. Their academic requirements limit their recruiting pool significantly so he's always playing with less talent then most of the other programs in the conference. When he had players like Andrew Luck and Christian McCaffery they were one of the best offensive teams in the country. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Ironic thing is David through that money at his man crush who wasn't that great of a coach to begin with. What caliber coach could you actually attract with that kind of money? 

I think that was just a terrible strategy to begin with. Gruden was the highest paid based on being a big name that had won a Super Bowl. If we take the same approach this time around we'll probably end up with another retread coach.

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What are your thoughts on some outside candidates like Joe Brady (32) from Carolina or Mike McDaniel (38) from SF?  They both appear to be bright, young minds. 

I don't know much about them but know Brady was in serious HC contention for a few teams last offseason and McDaniel has worked his way up to OC under KS and is a Yale graduate.  

Keep Joe Brady way away. 

I get it, Sam Darnold sucks. We all can agree on that by now. 

But Joe Brady has done absolutely nothing noteworthy on his own merit. 

He got his current job for helping oversee a once in a lifetime cast of offensive weaponry at LSU. 

Jamar Chase, Terrance Marshall, Joe Burrow, Edwards-Helaire, Damien Lewis, Saahdiq Charles, Lloyd Cushenberry. 

The first 4 were all 1st round talent that have since mostly played up to that billing or have the potential to, while the latter 3 are either starters or primary backups. For a college offense to have that many starters go to the NFL is one thing, to have every one of them as early starters who have proven deserving of their spots as such is practically unheard of. By next year, it's conceivable that all 7 could be starters within 2 full years in the league. 

When 7/11 of your starting lineup in college are bona fide day 1-2 picks that go on to the NFL AND prove they actually belong and aren't just good college players that don't translate that success to the pros, you're going to look like an absolute genius. 

Not saying Brady can't eventually be a good HC, but he got where he was because of an insane amount of luck and circumstance as much as him having any real talent of his own. I don't dislike him, but I just don't see anything he's been the true architect of that makes me go "Yep, he has 'it' and I want him". He's as likely to be fool's gold as much as he is to even be a middle of the pack OC, much less HC material right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

When 7/11 of your starting lineup in college are bona fide day 1-2 picks that go on to the NFL AND prove they actually belong and aren't just good college players that don't translate that success to the pros, you're going to look like an absolute genius. 

This is my biggest concern with potentially hiring Brady. Burrow/Chase are tearing up the NFL together, Brady's offenses in Carolina have been average at best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

This is my biggest concern with potentially hiring Brady. Burrow/Chase are tearing up the NFL together, Brady's offenses in Carolina have been average at best.

Yep.

Don't get me wrong, I've liked some of his concepts and believe that some of Carolina's issues are talent and execution. I wouldn't mind someone bringing Joe Brady to our staff and seeing what he's got. 

But he's nowhere near anything more than a "name" candidate and absolute shot in the dark at this point. 

Not to mention, again, I get it. Darnold sucks. But they've essentially gone back to the Cam Newton offense with some wrinkles. That was never really a revolutionary offense to begin with. 

So...yeah, Brady's offense has basically already been tailored down, if not done almost entirely away with. Dude needs a career rehab before I would even discuss his name for HC openings.

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Keep Joe Brady way away. 

I get it, Sam Darnold sucks. We all can agree on that by now. 

But Joe Brady has done absolutely nothing noteworthy on his own merit. 

He got his current job for helping oversee a once in a lifetime cast of offensive weaponry at LSU. 

Jamar Chase, Terrance Marshall, Joe Burrow, Edwards-Helaire, Damien Lewis, Saahdiq Charles, Lloyd Cushenberry. 

The first 4 were all 1st round talent that have since mostly played up to that billing or have the potential to, while the latter 3 are either starters or primary backups. For a college offense to have that many starters go to the NFL is one thing, to have every one of them as early starters who have proven deserving of their spots as such is practically unheard of. By next year, it's conceivable that all 7 could be starters within 2 full years in the league. 

Not saying Brady can't eventually be a good HC, but he got where he was because of an insane amount of luck and circumstance as much as him having any real talent of his own. I don't dislike him, but I just don't see anything he's been the true architect of that makes me go "Yep, he has 'it' and I want him". He's as likely to be fool's gold as much as he is to even be a middle of the pack OC, much less HC material right now.

I don't know much about either guy I mentioned but was looking for opinions on young and apparently bright minded candidates.  

What's your take on Mike McDaniel from SF?

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Please. No

Here's one for you..... trade Carr, hire Dabol who brings (drumroll) Mitch Trubisky with him. Stopgap, knows the offense, offers some athletic upside. Then draft the future in the 2023 class.

I hate myself and want to see Trubisky without Matt Nagy who is a complete bum.   

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't know much about either guy I mentioned but was looking for opinions on young and apparently bright minded candidates.  

What's your take on Mike McDaniel from SF?

Joe Brady is extremely inexperienced and has had mixed results during his two seasons as an OC. I'm not that familiar with McDaniel. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I've seen us linked to Bienemy a lot but I don't think there's anyway that Mark rolls the dice on him considering his checkered past. If I had to beat on it I'd guess it winds up being Daboll. 

I could see this happening unfortunately

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Here's one for you..... trade Carr, hire Dabol who brings (drumroll) Mitch Trubisky with him. Stopgap, knows the offense, offers some athletic upside. Then draft the future in the 2023 class.

I hate myself and want to see Trubisky without Matt Nagy who is a complete bum.   

Oh my god. I hope not. 

Until Mark moves past his "The Raider Way" stance there is a chance someone who gets the GM or HC job will somehow have ties to the Raiders. I gotta say though if Mike Mayock stays on as GM. I have a feeling Doug Pederson will be the head coach, I guess this would be considered a quick fix and Carr will most likely stay on as starting QB.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, agarcia34 said:

My first two options for a GM would be Mike Borgonzi from KC or Ed Dodds from Indy. Both come from winning organizations. Both have found success in different ways. 

I am not sure if either of these two guys worked with Doug Pederson but both guys come from franchises who have HCs who have ties to Pederson so that can help Pederson out. 

Borgonzi should be the teams top choice. Have to figure Eric Bieniemy would be a package deal with Borgonzi or at least a heavy favorite to land a job where Borgonzi goes

I don't really want to touch anything from KC...that KC team and roster is not that good, they just happen to have a star QB, a great HC\offensive mind...

Why are you so high on Pederson? He kinda weared that team down and got pretty lucky in the SB year don't you think?

Really not sure about Bieniemy for HC...would scar me quite a bit...