GM-HC options

Rolni

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I'm in the minority here but I think we need to fix the O-line and get a battery ram of a RB(230+) for short yardage. All the red zone problems are from our inability to run the ball. A playoff team has to able to play smash mouth football in the redzone.

Put me on the minority list

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Jacobs has 245 yards on 57 carries (4.3 yds/carry) over the last 5 games. Seems they finally figured out you have to give the RBs carries to get production. Jacobs' 22 carries vs Dallas were the most in a game this season. He's averaging 12 carries/game which is far from enough (it was 11/game before this week).

Over the same period, Drake has 163 yards on 34 carries (4.8 yds/carry).

Combined that's 408 yards on 91 carries (4.5 yds/carry). We can run it.

Take out Josh's random "long" run (or just the longest run of the game) and that average ypc plummets.

Against Dallas he had like 50 yards on 4 carries, meaning he was otherwise averaging 2.05 ypc on the other 18 run plays he ran. 

I don't think anyone can honestly say we can run it without overlooking that something like 80% of our running plays are effectively wasted downs used solely to not let D's know Carr is gonna have to have a near 400 yard passing day for us to even sniff victory. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Take out Josh's random "long" run (or just the longest run of the game) and that average ypc plummets.

Against Dallas he had like 50 yards on 4 carries, meaning he was otherwise averaging 2.05 ypc on the other 18 run plays he ran. 

I don't think anyone can honestly say we can run it without overlooking that something like 80% of our running plays are effectively wasted downs used solely to not let D's know Carr is gonna have to have a near 400 yard passing day for us to even sniff victory. 

That's what running the football is all about. Short gains and eventually you break a longer one. If you stop running it because you don't get the long ones early, you're just giving up on those opportunities. I wish the Bengals would have stopped running it when Mixon was averaging under 3 yards/carry in the 1st half but they didn't and it wore down on the defense. In those 5 games, the score didn't force us to go away from the run early (except KC but not until the middle of the 3rd) but as you can see Jacobs+Drake averaged less than 20 carries/game. Carr isn't an HOF QB and he needs all the help he can get to win consistently, putting a little less on his shoulders and a little more on the running game can't hurt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I'm in the minority here but I think we need to fix the O-line and get a battery ram of a RB(230+) for short yardage. All the red zone problems are from our inability to run the ball. A playoff team has to able to play smash mouth football in the redzone.

I think the best way to build a team is not to have a star RB unless they're on a cheap rookie deal. Look to have a room of them.  Fast guy, big guy, receiving threat etc.   Be able to adapt what you want to do.  You can try and force the defense to use certain personal against you too.  Wack the 230 RB in and use him as a blocker in a tight formation, they'll probably play a run defense, if they don't audible into a run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If Michigan is able to win the national championship, I'd love to see a Harbaugh/Hortiz duo taking over the team. 

If Michigan wins I seriously doubt he’ll be an option. They’ll throw all the money in the world at him and keep him. 

7 hours ago, Chali21 said:

If Michigan wins I seriously doubt he’ll be an option. They’ll throw all the money in the world at him and keep him. 

If Michigan wins I think you could sell him on the idea that he has already reached the top of college football, now it's time to come show you can do it in the NFL.

If Michigan wins I think you could sell him on the idea that he has already reached the top of college football, now it's time to come show you can do it in the NFL.

Yep. 

"Hey, Jim, you rebuilt program after program and took them to the pinnacle (at least as far as Stanford would ever reasonably get). You won a national championship for Michigan, Michigan Man. You beat Ohio State, and in pretty dominant fashion. But you can't let your old pal Pete be the only HC in this Millennium to win a Natty AND A Superbowl. Why don't you come home to us and let's do this thing? You've already got the shades for the desert, and Silver and Black over khaki would look fantastic. And we've pretty much purged ourselves of our Buckeye fetish problem. You can replace Hankins, he's not crucial."

Yeah, I think that'll probably work.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Or he could just pull a Saban and stay winning Natties making millions for doing a fraction of the work. 

But it could happen, I think the Raiders should shoot their shot but I’m not holding my breath. Our luck the just keep everyone. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

No way harbaugh leaves after winning. No way. Any chance at harbaugh ended with the Ohio St win. 

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Or he could just pull a Saban and stay winning Natties making millions for doing a fraction of the work. 

But it could happen, I think the Raiders should shoot their shot but I’m not holding my breath. Our luck the just keep everyone. 

I'd argue that leading a major college football program is probably more work then being an NFL head coach because of recruiting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

No way harbaugh leaves after winning. No way. Any chance at harbaugh ended with the Ohio St win. 

Pete Carroll was on a Saban like run at USC but decided to take the Seahawks job because he wanted to prove that he could win in the NFL.

• Like 1

Pete Carroll was on a Saban like run at USC but decided to take the Seahawks job because he wanted to prove that he could win in the NFL.

He left because he got sanctioned and I don't think he won an actual championship I think the NCAA took it away from him.

3 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He left because he got sanctioned and I don't think he won an actual championship I think the NCAA took it away from him.

The sanctions played a part in it but he was linked to NFL jobs for years before he made the leap to become an NFL head coach again. The entire landscape of college football is changing with the NIL now in place and major conference realignments on their way. In the past 48 hours we've seen two coaches leave blood blood programs at Notre Dame/Oklahoma to take jobs at LSU/USC. 

• Like 1

The sanctions played a part in it but he was linked to NFL jobs for years before he made the leap to become an NFL head coach again. The entire landscape of college football is changing with the NIL now in place and major conference realignments on their way. In the past 48 hours we've seen two coaches leave blood blood programs at Notre Dame/Oklahoma to take jobs at LSU/USC. 

See, that's one of the things that irk me when people cite Pete as a college head coach that made the leap to show why we should go after a college HC. 

People apparently forget he wasn't an absolutely terrible HC in the NFL first, going 6-10, 10-6, 9-7, and 8-8 with 2 playoff appearances. It wasn't a "great" run (especially considering that guy that replaced him), but we've seen plenty of HCs rebound from that kind of start.  Heck, Sean Payton had 3 straight 7-9 campaigns lol. 

He wouldn't have been out of the NFL HC ranks for long had he not landed the USC job and found pretty much immediate top level success there. 

He was an NFL guy first, and just happened to be so damn good he joined the gilded duo of Switzer and Johnson in one of the most prestigious categories a HC can get into. 

Dude is a different breed of HC. Too bad we decided to give Cable the HC job in 2010 instead of pursuing Carroll. Who knows what would've happened.