This is the worst Thanksgiving slate in a long time

notthatbluestuff

Week 12

Bears @ Lions
Raiders @ Cowboys
Bills @ Saints 

Chicago and Detroit are garbage. Raiders look like they're falling apart - if Dallas bounces back, it could be an ugly blowout. Buffalo's offense could be in trouble. Saints are starting Trevor Siemian. 

Very unimpressive all round. If only some of the other games could be flexed in. 

Just now, biggie. said:

I'm all for tradition, but I'm sick of Detroit on Thanksgiving. There needs to be a rotation.

I'm sick of Dallas on it too. I do think tradition for thanksgiving should be both teams can wear a throw back from the same year and not have it count toward their uniform totals for the year and just be a fun game for that as well. Rotate out, just do NFC vs. NFC, AFC vs. AFC and NFC vs. AFC every year

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I'm sick of Dallas on it too. I do think tradition for thanksgiving should be both teams can wear a throw back from the same year and not have it count toward their uniform totals for the year and just be a fun game for that as well. Rotate out, just do NFC vs. NFC, AFC vs. AFC and NFC vs. AFC every year

At least Dallas can argue they are the most popular team in America and are consistently competitive.

Most people in Michigan would rathersee  the Wolverines or Red Wings play every Thanksgiving than the Lions.

Edited by biggie.

We've had way worse than Raiders/Cowboys and Saints/Bills in past years. Last year Houston blew out Detroit, and we had Washington beating the Andy Dalton Cowboys. It's been worse.

But, it's either always going to have at least one crap game until Detroit either finally gets it's crap together or they move on from giving the Lions a Thanksgiving game every year. But they seem committed.

Ending tradition because a team is bad now is lame. I know the Lions have been cursed a lot longer than the past 10 years, but the Stafford - Calvin connection was still fun to watch. Plus, they can always become good.

Keep it as Dallas, Lions. The NFL tries to get top contenders for primetime games all the time and whiffs, so I don't think they will do any better for Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

We've had way worse than Raiders/Cowboys and Saints/Bills in past years. Last year Houston blew out Detroit, and we had Washington beating the Andy Dalton Cowboys. It's been worse.

But, it's either always going to have at least one crap game until Detroit either finally gets it's crap together or they move on from giving the Lions a Thanksgiving game every year. But they seem committed.

Yes, but Ravens/Steelers was technically part of the original slate even though it was postponed. 

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What was the original reason for having it be Detroit ?

According to Wiki:

The first owner of the Lions, George A. Richards, started the tradition of the Thanksgiving Day game as a gimmick to get people to go to Lions football games, and to continue a tradition begun by the city's previous NFL teams.[8] What differentiated the Lions' efforts from other teams that played on the holiday was that Richards owned radio station WJR, a major affiliate of the NBC Blue Network (the forerunner to today's American Broadcasting Company); he was able to negotiate an agreement with NBC to carry his Thanksgiving games live across the network.[9]

In 1966, the Dallas Cowboys, who had been founded six years earlier, adopted the practice of hosting Thanksgiving games. It is widely rumored that the Cowboys sought a guarantee that they would regularly host Thanksgiving games as a condition of their very first one (since games on days other than Sunday were uncommon at the time and thus high attendance was not a certainty).[11] This is only partly true; Dallas had in fact decided on their own to host games on Thanksgiving because there was nothing else to do or watch on that day. In 1975 and 1977, at the behest of then-Commissioner Pete Rozelle, the St. Louis Cardinals replaced Dallas as a host team (Dallas then hosted St. Louis in 1976). Although the Cardinals, at the time known as the "Cardiac Cards" due to their propensity for winning very close games, were a modest success at the time, they were nowhere near as popular nationwide as the Cowboys, who were regular Super Bowl contenders during this era. This, combined with St. Louis's consistently weak attendance, a series of ugly Cardinals losses in the three-game stretch, and opposition from the Kirkwood–Webster Groves Turkey Day Game (a local high school football contest) led to Dallas resuming regular hosting duties in 1978; it was then, after Rozelle asked Dallas to resume hosting Thanksgiving games, that the Cowboys requested (and received) an agreement guaranteeing the Cowboys a spot on Thanksgiving Day forever.

TLDR: Money.

Edited by NJerseypaint
  • Like 2