2021 GDT Week #12 Steelers Vs. Bengals

Steeler Hitman

44 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So you knew DDC had something wrong but you planned nothing.  That's not good roster management.

From what I read, the Steelers docs signed off and were assessing pain management but DDC and his team decided IN OTA’s(!!!!) the best course of action was to take a surgery the docs didn’t think was necessary and knock him out half of the year - minimum. So yeah, OTAs is too long to do anything about it. 

Yes, I’ll give benefit of the doubt to BOTH Colbert and Tomlin for going with their team doctors…unless, you think they go under Colbert’s fault too? 

55 minutes ago, warfelg said:

they drafted someone to replace him and still felt it was a need to bring in someone and despite that someone sucking the drafted guy still isn't good enough to get a hat.

Dude 1) it’s a fourth round rookie? You are continually surprised he hasn’t gotten a hat? 2) your blaming Colbert for Tomlin not giving him a hat? Really convenient how you view that…..

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My expectation of depth is you shouldn't need a coach to admit they have to completely change their play calling because of a few injuries

Welcome to the NFL. 

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My expectation of depth would be to comfortably rotate out a DL for a series in the first place

You’re staring players 1, 4, and 6/7, so you are rotating players 8, 9, 10…again…no clue of your expectations. The depth is stating now. Which means the depth of the depth is the depth. NO TEAM SURVIVES THAT.

59 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If KC is going to get the benefit of the doubt for injuries, guys retiring, the cap causing player problems....why aren't you giving Tomlin the benefit of the doubt when he's the one having to deal with the backups and emergency plans not being good enough?

Not sure why you’re asking this (again) of me? If you think I don’t give Tomlin the benefit of injuries and such you don’t know why I’ve soured on Tomlin. 

KC has proven over many years that he can bring in enough talent to keep it competitive.  As they have not earned a top 10 draft pick in 20 years or had many bust drafts ( compared to other teams), I tend to go easier on Colbert.  I am also one to wait and see on Tomlin.  There is no doubt in my mind that he is a motivator but I would like to see if they can move into modern NFL and have game plans that can scheme players open.

I said at the beginning of the year that Ben is holding the team back.  They can't change the passing game because Ben would not like it.  I want to see what will happen after Ben goes.  Can Tomlin build a team?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

The cap issues were the result of poor long term planning, but you cant compare our situation to the other 31 teams straight up.    Its not an excuse for them because they created alot of thrle issues, but the point is, the pandemic caused us to lose several players we wouldn't have otherwise, and the sudden retirements and cuts (meaning, within months)   really piled on to an already bad situation.

I mean, yea the pandemic didn't help, but saying it's why we lost people isn't the reason.  The issue I see is that KC continually failed to long term plan.  And KC being a year to year contract isn't really helping either because there's no incentive for him to think about it.  But even if the cap went up there was going to be plenty of hard decisions to make.

But my point is regardless of how big of an impact the pandemic had on the cap (IIRC it just stayed flat) all teams knew that the cap was going to be impacted.  That's why saying it to me is an excuse.  We all knew due to non-stop restructures that this day was going to come regardless.  

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

From what I read, the Steelers docs signed off and were assessing pain management but DDC and his team decided IN OTA’s(!!!!) the best course of action was to take a surgery the docs didn’t think was necessary and knock him out half of the year - minimum. So yeah, OTAs is too long to do anything about it. 

Yes, I’ll give benefit of the doubt to BOTH Colbert and Tomlin for going with their team doctors…unless, you think they go under Colbert’s fault too? 

No.  Again a misread of my criticism.  But you knew something was wrong with the guy and didn't plan something.  To me if you know a guy was going to be a matter of pain management, then plan on something going wrong.

Dude 1) it’s a fourth round rookie? You are continually surprised he hasn’t gotten a hat? 2) your blaming Colbert for Tomlin not giving him a hat? Really convenient how you view that…..

Again a misread of my criticism here.  With how bad our ILB's have been, Buddy not getting a hat and not being given a chance bugs the crap out of me because how bad is he doing of what we can't see that they still think Bush, Scho, and Spillane are better options.  If it's Tomin just being stubborn then that's Tomin's issue.  If Butler is overruling Tomlin on it that's a problem.  But if he's that bad that he's not even worth a shot....that's a drafting problem.

Welcome to the NFL. 

You’re staring players 1, 4, and 6/7, so you are rotating players 8, 9, 10…again…no clue of your expectations. The depth is stating now. Which means the depth of the depth is the depth. NO TEAM SURVIVES THAT.

My expectations are that they should be able to do a job.  And if the rotating players aren't that good, try bringing in other players.  We finally have movement on that.  I mean it's not like I expect these guys to be All-Pro's or Pro Bowl.  But I expect them to be able to shed a block every now and then.  I expect them to not get blown 4 yards off the LOS every other play.  

Not sure why you’re asking this (again) of me? If you think I don’t give Tomlin the benefit of injuries and such you don’t know why I’ve soured on Tomlin. 

Because if the issue is no team survives 1, 4, and 6/7 starting, 8, 9, 10 rotating, and that's been going on for a few years, then what do you expect Tomlin to do?

11 minutes ago, August4th said:

find myself focusing more on the offseason than the rest of this yr. I wasn't really all that upset with the beat down on Sunday, because I already knew this team was not going far.

I don't think any losses will be as bad, but I expect some bad games from the defense, anemic offense, and one vintage game from Ben where we win but shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don't think any losses will be as bad, but I expect some bad games from the defense, anemic offense, and one vintage game from Ben where we win but shouldn't.

that one game I want to win is the MNF game against Cle. Great chance that's the last time ben plays at Heinz. I really hope he goes out on top that night.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

IIRC it just stayed flat) all teams knew that the cap was going to be impacted.  That's why saying it to me is an excuse.

It didn’t stay flat…it took a $15M step back from 2020. The cap had taken AT LEAST a $10M jump the previous 7 years. So when you say they failed to plan…tell me how the plan of having $25m less works unexpectedly? 

You and anyone else knocking salary cap moves need to recognize this - 2021 was shaping up to be a GREAT Steelers cap situation….then the pandemic crushed it. It’s not an excuse, it’s reality. We had $25M evaporate for something N O B O D Y  could see coming. 

But if he's that bad that he's not even worth a shot....that's a drafting problem.

Dude…he’s a 4th round pick. Look up the percentages on him even just making the team. This is the stuff I don’t get — you have used Buddy Johnson multiple times as a poke at Colbert but we can’t even tell why he isn’t getting a hat and the fact that a 4th round pick isn’t playing really isn’t crazy. So what are we doing here outside of trying to knock KC for the sake of knocking KC based on some agenda? 

You can dress 46 dudes on Sunday. It’s not wild to consider that Tomlin likes Spillane and Allen more in that role than a rookie who probably logged 10 ST snaps during his time in college. 

My expectations are that they should be able to do a job.  And if the rotating players aren't that good, try bringing in other players.

They may do their job, but 8th stringers are never going to be exceptional at that job. Replace them with who? Other nameless people who you don’t know the system? You ran names through the other day but there’s two sides to the coin. Do you think vets who cost more are interested in going to get run on a meh team for vet minimum? Some of them are happy in “retirement”. It takes two to tango. There’s not some endless list of good players out there to cycle through at this point. 

There is one concept here I completely agree with … try other players. Like how after watching Bush be god awful and not even be willing to take on a blocker…try Spillane. Try James Washington for all I care. But Tomlin’s philosophy has long been  that he expects things to get better because things should get better. That’s one critique of Tomlin I have…I would at least like him to try…try to find solutions to issues.  Not continually ask ILBs to cover WR because the standard is the standard. Or continually play Dan Moore at LT, for what? Continuity? Try Justin Layne of Pierre…it’s gonna get worse?

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Because if the issue is no team survives 1, 4, and 6/7 starting, 8, 9, 10 rotating, and that's been going on for a few years, then what do you expect Tomlin to do?

Or one year? Because the funny part about dudes missing time is they might not miss time again and/or you can find a fix. 

Tuitt could/should be okay next year. Alualu is on the roster as a 30%. So is Wormely. So go find yourself 1 dudes who helps and realize that bad luck happens in the NFL? We just hit continually bad luck at the one position we couldn’t afford it this year. 

There are a lot of things I expect Tomlin as a head coach, and as a highly regarded head coach, to be able to do…survived an incredible string of bad luck at your best position group you were banking heavily on isn’t one of them

Oh and TJ Watt is out again? Damn you Colbert!!!!!! 

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I was going to respond with a longer point.  But it's not worth it.  Bring Colbert back and we'll continue to be in this same mess.  That's all I'll say.

See you next year when I can tell you all I was right again.

No offense, but for as much as youre knocking others reluctance to criticize Colbert, you seem the same with Tomlin.

Both have laughably glaring flaws that have landed us in the situation we are in, and both should be held accountable....sooner rather than later IMO.

12 minutes ago, 43M said:

No offense, but for as much as youre knocking others reluctance to criticize Colbert, you seem the same with Tomlin.

Both have laughably glaring flaws that have landed us in the situation we are in, and both should be held accountable....sooner rather than later IMO.

I've started to blame Tomlin too.  Just criticizing the fact that things that Tomlin is getting blamed for (bad players playing bad) isn't in his control.

Basically at this point it's going like this:

Others - Fire Tomlin, a bad roster is playing bad!

Me - Well a bad roster isn't on Tomlin, it's on others.  Being flat and not trying new things is Tomlins problem.

Others - Colbert is great! Not his fault.

Edited by warfelg