Jay Ajayi to the Eagles for a 4th-round pick

TheKillerNacho

Seemed like he was calling out Ajayi for not knowing the plays. I assumed blocking. Now this.. So does Williams tote the rock.?. Its hard to imagine Drake doing anything more than splitting carries.  Does De'veon Smith get the call up and is he quick enough to be effective at this level ? 

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He wasn't really a leader, no.

That doesn't really answer what I was asking, maybe my question was too vague.  You don't have to be a leader to be a well-liked player. 

Was he a problem in the locker room or anything? 

3 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Seemed like he was calling out Ajayi for not knowing the plays. I assumed blocking. Now this.. So does Williams tote the rock.?. Its hard to imagine Drake doing anything more than splitting carries.  Does De'veon Smith get the call up and is he quick enough to be effective at this level ? 

You'll probably see pretty close to 50/50 split for Drake and Williams, I think. Damien Williams is a better pass protector so will probably be the "starter", but Drake is the better rushing talent.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

That doesn't really answer what I was asking, maybe my question was too vague.  You don't have to be a leader to be a well-liked player. 

I'm not aware of him being "friends" with anyone in the locker room. I don't think he was disliked but he wasn't really a popular player either. Obviously everyone liked his level of production he's had with us, though.

He definitely had some serious conflicts with the coaching staff, that much we know.

14 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Unknown. No reports to that effect. Obviously Gase left him home for the 2016 opener so there's a history of him butting heads with the coaching staff at least. Of course now there are reports (after the trade news broke) that he had some serious altercations with the coaching staff over the past couple of weeks.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article181846146.html

But we know that in recent weeks the team’s braintrust -- coaches and front office -- became frustrated by both players for quite similar reasons.

The reasons?

Neither player has been fully bought in to what the Dolphins are trying to accomplish.

But in the last four weeks or so, the Dolphins saw pre-Seattle Jay Ajayi again.

He complained bitterly about not getting the football. He stormed out of the locker room -- get this, after wins -- because he hadn’t gotten what he deemed to be enough carries. And, oh yes, he didn’t exactly light it up on the field.

And here’s the thing: All this was done undercover. Ajayi complained to his position coach. And he carried around an attitude around other teammates. But he never took his concerns to the only voice that matters and that’s Gase.

The Dolphins are frustrated because they’ve asked Landry time and time and time again to buy in to what the coaching staff is selling, to do it their way. And he hasn’t. He didn’t last year and that’s probably the reason he didn’t get an extension this offseason.

He hasn’t so far this year, either, and that’s probably the reason he’s available in trade for the next few hours and might or might not get a contract in the offseason if he stays.

I don't have a problem with Miami trading Ajayi, he was good but not great.  We got more for him than we invested, and once again this team is having to "send signals" to get players to get with the program.  Remember last when we waived all those middle round guards?

At any rate, I'm still not sold on our FO.  People might say they don't like Gase, and that's fine.  I trust what Peyton Manning had to say about him, and think that if we did get the right talent our offense would hum.  Clearly we need o-line help and it wouldn't hurt to get some more explosive talent at TE and RB.

Ajayi has had me yelling at the TV all year, I'm glad he is gone. He can't catch, and this is probably the most serious problem with him. Our screen game has been horrible with Ajayi. Whenever they wanted to run a screen, they had to bring in Williams, which tipped of the defense, and they crashed the play. Go back and look at the Ravens tape. The D could see it coming a mile away. Both Williams and Drake are above average receivers. Second, Ajayi gave horrible effort in blocking. He was slow to get into his gap, and half the time only gave a 50% effort. Maybe I have been spoiled watching Ricky blow up blitzers. Third, Ajayi had the annoying habit of bouncing plays outside, even though he doesn't have elite speed. That first run versus the Ravens should have been a touchdown. Yet he got run down from behind even though not a single player touched him for 20 yards. Lamar Miller would have had 6 on that run, heck, even Drake would have had 6 on that run. And the final nail in the coffin was him blowing up on the sidelines on the coaching staff. The Dolphins at this point, has to change to a dink and dunk offense. With Steen going on IR, we won't be overpowering anyone at the point of attack. Gase is going to have to change to a short passing offense, and the RB is going to have to be an integral part. Williams and Drake are made for this type of offense.

Archived