Sutton Extended (4-yr, $60.8m, $35m GTD)

bMiller031

I’ve held that Patrick would be more valuable to keep at 60 percent of Sutton’s market salary.   But Sutton deciding not to test the market and only get 34.9M guaranteed, no argument either.    Still will have some issues with roster resource allocation if we get the elite vet QB - but either guy can be traded in 2023 to solve that issue if it comes up.    Both contracts are almost certainly going to look a LOT better too when the FA market contracts get signed with the extra TV money not just this offseason but in 2022-23 as well (and they appear reasonable now, just will look even better this upcoming offseason and 2022-23 offseason).   

The pieces are all here minus the QB.  Paton, get it done this offseason! 

Edited by Broncofan

Seems a good deal for both sides. There have definitely been times this year where I have felt Sutton isn't back to even 75% of himself, however it's really hard to gauge WR production with the level of QB play/Offensive playcalling we've had for the majority of the season.

In the end, I think the ACL tear has stuck with Courtland in terms of getting paid now and he's made the correct choice. You just never know when you get to FA. You could be Malik Jackson and play other teams off each other, landing yourself a monster contract. Or you could be one of dozens of players each year who have to settle for a 1 year prove it deal, land yourself in an unfavourable spot and ultimately never get that pay day.

That's a great value for Sutton. I was expecting him to command Golladay money (4 year 76mil) but instead got Robby Anderson money (2 year 29.5mil). 

Total between Sutton and Patrick, we are allocating 26mil / year. Other top 2 combinations are; Bucs - 32/yr, Rams - 31mil/yr, Giants - 28/yr, Packers - 23/yr, Dolphins - 20/yr. 

That definitely puts us on the upper end of salary allocation to WRs but I think that's relatively ok given we hit on a few draft picks last year and have a ton of picks this upcoming year which can find us some savings elsewhere.   

Edited by grizmo78

37 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

That's a great value for Sutton. I was expecting him to command Golladay money (4 year 76mil) but instead got Robby Anderson money (2 year 29.5mil). 

Total between Sutton and Patrick, we are allocating 26mil / year. Other top 2 combinations are; Bucs - 32/yr, Rams - 31mil/yr, Giants - 28/yr, Packers - 23/yr, Dolphins - 20/yr. 

That definitely puts us on the upper end of salary allocation to WRs but I think that's relatively ok given we hit on a few draft picks last year and have a ton of picks this upcoming year which can find us some savings elsewhere.   

I think this has to be seen as a means to lure the top elite trade market QB's to see us as a spot to target (since Wilson and Watson have no-trade clauses they have to waive, and A-Rod's agreement with GB to end his holdout this year was set up that way as well).    The flexibility with the guaranteed $ also allows Paton to trade 1 of the 2 if it becomes clear after 2022 that we need to allocate $ in a more balanced fashion.  

When we were talking Golladay $, it was an easy "take Patrick" instead.   The lack of guaranteed $ really gives Paton a lot of options.   If he can make the roster construction work, there's no harm in keeping all 4 guys (Hamler back), but if it's an issue, then by 2022-23 there's likely an easy out, just pick the guy who gets the best return / keeps the team rotation optimal. 

The fact Sutton didn't want to test the market also reflects the reality that he's become the #2 guy in DEN.    If one only looked at the #'s, it would be pretty clear.   Now, I think we all get year 1 post-ACL he's not close to full explosion, but it's also clear his skill type / body type, isn't going to be a target hog when you have another guy who can separate and get open.    Much different era than 10-15 years ago.    IMO this is a pretty smart move by Sutton, whose 2021 numbers might have depressed his market viability.

The team construction on the O side is biggest reason to be excited for 2022.   Paton just needs to find the QB.  Do that, and we're cooking with gas in 2022.

Edited by Broncofan

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The fact Sutton didn't want to test the market also reflects the reality that he's become the #2 guy in DEN. 

The unearned crowning of Jerry Jeudy continues. Can we hold off on anointing him until he outperforms Curtis Samuel, Russell Gage, and Jamison Crowder? 

6 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

The unearned crowning of Jerry Jeudy continues. Can we hold off on anointing him until he outperforms Curtis Samuel, Russell Gage, and Jamison Crowder? 

Last two seasons.  Which one is JJ?

A : 19 games, 96 rec, 1004yds, 8 TDs

B : 23 games, 93 rec, 994yds, 5 TDs

C : 17 games, 81 rec, 870yrds, 3 TDs

D : 20 games, 74 rec, 1084yds, 3 TDs

Edited by bMiller031
D

27 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

It's not a crowning, my statement is actually a reflection of usage which already clearly goes to Jeudy.

Sutton's really good at what he when he's at peak performance - a big body, classic X receiver.   But he's also a pure boundary guy.    With a great QB, that could translate to 10+ TD seasons.   With the QB's we have, not so much.    But in the modern O's we see, that X receiver who wins on the boundary alone is also going to be always be a lower volume guy behind the more versatile, do-it-all guy.    If we didn't have a Tim Patrick, it wouldn't have been even a Q to prioritize re-signing Sutton, but we've been lucky enough to have 2 guys who fit that specific role really nicely.

The numbers don't lie - Patrick and he share the same role, and Sutton's usage drops dramatically when Jeudy's active.    Jeudy brings something very different and wins in very different ways, which also gets used more in today's NFL.   It's not hard to see this coming, we're seeing it already.   This isn't about crowning a guy - it's reflecting what DEN's O is already doing.

Either way, though, the Sutton signing is a strong one at those numbers.   Getting Patrick to commit to 19M guaranteed and Sutton just under 35M guaranteed, even though both fill the same role, provides so much flexibility, it's all good work by Paton.   

Edited by Broncofan