Any Packers getting dealt today?

{Family Ghost}

To put it a different way, if the Cobb contract for 2018 was 9.5M with no dead cap space attached, does anyone think that's a contract GB would/should pay?  The reality is that the potential  "dead" cap space linked to Cobb for 2018 is a done deal, he already has that money and there's nothing GB can do about that.  What GB can do something about is paying the additional 9.5M Cobb will be owed next season if he remains in GB.  Throwing additional millions at Cobb next season does not make sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Two questions:

1. Do you believe the Packers front office is smarter than you when it comes to football decisions?
2. If you answered yes to the previous question, will you admit that you had no brain when you made this statement if Cobb isn't released leading into next year?

If it's such a no-brainer, the Packers front office would have to have no brain not to do it.  If they don't do it, it wasn't a no-brainer, in which case it was pretty foolish to suggest it was a no-brainer, right? 

Again, these questions you are are asking have nothing to do with the core issue of whether it makes any sense to pay Cobb next season.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Throwing additional millions at Cobb next season does not make sense to me. 

Because you're neglecting the fact that Cobb is a talented pro who has Aaron's trust, or you're underestimating how significant those two things are because you dislike Cobb.

I dislike Fackrell.  A lot.  But I'm not narrowminded enough to think it's a no-brainer to cut him. 

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Again, these questions you are are asking have nothing to do with the core issue of whether it makes any sense to pay Cobb next season.

Yes, it does.  Because if it makes no sense to pay Cobb next season, we won't pay Cobb next season.  Unless you think our front office is stupid.  So which is it, will they be stupid next year if they don't cut Cobb, or will you be stupid next year if we don't cut Cobb? 

You're being as stubborn as the most stubborn mule.  It's never a no-brainer to cut a productive NFL veteran, and it's always something you have to consider, especially when you're planning on competing for a Super Bowl like the Packers will be next year.  To say otherwise is stubborn and, frankly, dumb. 

Something to consider?  Absolutely.  A no-brainer?  No.  Period. 

Cobbs was a talented player 3 years ago.  I would have been ok with paying that player a 12M contract.  Today's Cobb is a far different player.  I don't see how that is even debatable.  Paying 12M for today's version of Cobb is a terrible idea.  Paying 12M for next years version will be worse.

34 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Is the "no-brainer" term really what has you all bent out of shape?  Sheesh.  Dude, it's a figure of speech to indicate a very easy decision.  IMO releasing Cobb next season is a very easy decision.

I agree with you, but there's a decent chance that he still has major supporters in that locker room.  Rodgers is tight with the guy.  Perhaps the pay cut route is the way to go ... Cobb simply is not worth what they are paying him.  He came onto the scene as a dynamic play maker, but he's lost a step and needs to be paid accordingly.  

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Is the "no-brainer" term really what has you all bent out of shape?  Sheesh.  Dude, it's a figure of speech to indicate a very easy decision.  IMO releasing Cobb next season is a very easy decision.

It's not just the term no-brainer, it's that you keep suggesting it's the obvious thing to do.  It's not obvious.  It's worth considering, but he's a valuable veteran player who is a leader and a player who has provided zero headaches or issues for us.  It's not an obvious decision to cut a player like that, and it never is.  Cobb might not be Donald Driver, but he's responsible for some great memories, he's held in very high regard by our franchise QB and his teammates, and he's still capable of turning in huge performances for us.  Clearly.  Based on the Giants playoff game alone last year.

I've never argued it's not worth considering, I've been arguing whether or not it's the obvious choice to cut him, and it certainly isn't. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Because you're neglecting the fact that Cobb is a talented pro who has Aaron's trust, or you're underestimating how significant those two things are because you dislike Cobb.

I dislike Fackrell.  A lot.  But I'm not narrowminded enough to think it's a no-brainer to cut him. 

I have a funny feeling Mazrimiv dislikes Cobb's contract more than anything else. 

Archived