WEEK 11: 5-5 Denver Broncos vs. 6-4 LA Chargers - Sunday 2:05 MST/4:05 EST

broncos67

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I'd like to see us extend Teddy before he's a FA. Paton isn't going to trade multiple high draft picks and pick up a $40 million salary for either Rodgers or Wilson.

There's got to be a good developmental prospect in the draft. Pick him, let him learn for a year or two. Teddy could be a good mentor. Problem is I don't think Shula or Shurmer are the guys to develop a young prospect..

Lock made some flashes with Scangarello . Regress with Shurmur. Teddy is no better with Shurmur. The only problem is SHURMUR.

And you can't judge Lock yesterday.What can you expect with a guy who has 0 snap with 1st team since pré season and a horrible play caller ?

Teddy is an average QB who survive with Shurmur with his experience. How many times yesterday he needs to run to save his life ? 

The only problem is THIS STAFF.

32 minutes ago, French Fan said:

And you can't judge Lock yesterday.What can you expect with a guy who has 0 snap with 1st team since pré season and a horrible play caller ?

In terms of general performance I agree with this. I made the same comments the last time Drew had to come in midway through the game.

But that INT yesterday was indefensible. It's a reflection of game IQ. He HAS to understand the situation. You are up two TDs, driving to run the clock out and get 3 points to make it a 3 score game.

You absolutely cannot throw that ball anywhere near a defender. I'm sorry, it's the same boneheaded turnover stuff we've seen time and time again from Drew.

You have to call a spade a spade.

I think the Broncos will continue to be a Jekyll and Hyde team, both between games and (as we saw at times last night) within different parts of the same game.

But one thing we can definitively say after last night: The Drew Lock era is over.

He’s done once and for all. I had hoped that he would be able to use his time on the bench to take mental reps and be able to come back as a more competent passer but he’s just gone backwards. A healthy Teddy Bridgewater needs to start for the rest of this season and then we need to go all in and find a franchise QB. 

For Lock, the question is whether he can even latch on somewhere as a backup. Typically I want my backup QB to be able to play mistake free football, take sacks or throw the ball away rather than turn it over, and give my defense and running game a chance to win.

In many ways Teddy is the ideal backup, but he gets a starting job due to league scarcity of competent starters.

Honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Lock is out of the league before long. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

For Lock, the question is whether he can even latch on somewhere as a backup. Typically I want my backup QB to be able to play mistake free football, take sacks or throw the ball away rather than turn it over, and give my defense and running game a chance to win.

In many ways Teddy is the ideal backup, but he gets a starting job due to league scarcity of competent starters.

Honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Lock is out of the league before long. 

Rypien would have been the better choice as a backup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I'd like to see us extend Teddy before he's a FA. Paton isn't going to trade multiple high draft picks and pick up a $40 million salary for either Rodgers or Wilson.

There's got to be a good developmental prospect in the draft. Pick him, let him learn for a year or two. Teddy could be a good mentor. Problem is I don't think Shula or Shurmer are the guys to develop a young prospect..

I was thinking the same thing. Even if Paton drafts a QB with the #1 pick in the draft, it'd be nice to have Bridgewater give whoever that is some time to develop.  Like the Strong kid from Nevada, looks like a nice player, but could probably sit a season. 

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

And that’s not including Jamar Johnson and Seth Williams, both regarded as very good value picks, who probably have NFL talent, as well. AND turning a 7th rounder-into-Vincent-into a 6th rounder this spring. 

I remember reading at some point that to maintain your talent level when building through the draft, you need to add 2 starters and 2 other roster players every draft. A 4-starter, 3-depth guy draft would be incredible. 

Hopefully with all of the draft capital a quaterback is there and he can land there. I like Teddy, but we just paid two receivers a lot of money, we need someone to get them the ball. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Chase *was* killing it. He’s been pretty pedestrian his last 4 games. If Williams finishes the season strong, that would be fresher on people’s minds. I still think Chase takes it, but that race may finish a little closer than people are thinking right now. Unless, of course, Shurmur learns nothing from today’s game and goes right back to abandoning the run at the first sign of trouble. Which, if we’re gonna be real, is likely. 

Mac Jones will end up winning it as he leads the Pats to the playoffs. Unless he just outright wins rookie of the year. 

Per PFF

Surtain allowed just 25 yards in his coverage on six targets and nabbed two interceptions. On the other side of the field, Kyle Fuller was picked on repeatedly. He allowed seven catches on nine targets for 93 yards, with five of those receptions going for first downs.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

If Rodgers or Wilson are available, we better be trying to accumulate picks for him. The developmental prospect route has failed us time and time again. Teddy is bang average. That's all he's gonna be. It's an upgrade over Lock, but we need a better QB if we want to be relevant long-term in this division.

• Like 4

This was an excellent performance by the Broncos, particularly the defense. Surtain, Browning and Cooper were awesome. Javonte is an absolute star. Some nice work by the OL overall. A lot to be happy with overall.

The offense, however, still looks completely anemic. Better when we can run the ball effectively, but I'd love to see us utilize Jeudy's route running abilities on crosses and try and work the intermediate areas of the field more. I don't think this is a playoff team, but it's nice to see signs of life against a good team.

One thing that is obvious, however, is that the long-term QB is still not on this roster. Lock made two boneheaded plays, one of which could have been a big momentum shift. Teddy is just limited in what he can do. He's better than what we've had, and he's a great option in a pinch, but he's not *the guy* long term. Denver needs to dramatically upgrade this position. Boomer Esiason said it during halftime- if Denver had Herbert, they're a SB contender. That's a fact. We have the talent under contract and/or on rookie deals. We simply cannot sit around and waste that

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I mean as a backup that’s fine if he’s willing to take a slightly cheaper deal but as a starter you basically condemn the Broncos to another couple years of .500 football. Teddy is not, will not ever be a playoff caliber QB it’s very plain and simple. As a spot starter as he was with the Saints yes he’s the perfect QB, but as a full time starter? Absolutely not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Did the ILBs get better after the injuries?  It seems like the pairing of Browning and Kenny Young has been amazing. 

Imagine asking this question during the Browns game, when we witnessed possibly the worst ILB showing in the history of this Franchise - what a crazy game Football is ...

Honestly, @jsthomp2007 - I think this is the best ILB pairing we've had in a very, very long time with the way they compliment each other.

Now, this poses the question - what do we do in the offseason?

For me, it's a no-brainer. You absolutely have to extend Kenny Young if you can, and I'd do it now. Nobody has sung Josey Jewell's praises more than me around here. I think he's a really good player with incredible instincts. But he just can't do what Young can from an athletically standpoint. For Young to be doing what he's doing this soon after coming to us is unreal. 

Don't get me wrong, a combination of Jewell and Browning is also something I'd love to see. But Young surely has to be the priority, given his impact.

Alexander Johnson would have to take a really small deal to stick around in my opinion. The flexibility and dynamism Young and Browning are showing does make you realise just how predictable we are with Johnson out there (especially without Jewell).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Another year (or two??) of Teddy would be demoralizing. As 67 said, they better be in the Rodgers/Wilson sweepstakes if they’re serious about competing. And they will be if that’s a possibility. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 3