Rank these WR’s in their primes…

DirtyDez

Not to put on the homer glasses but I do think Smith genuinely has a case to be ranked the best of this bunch.  At his peak he was the most dangerous of this group, his speed, YAC ability, his contested catch skills were stunning. And to do it at his size was something special. Additionally he was targeted far less than all of these other players throughout the years and didn't have the luxury of playing with Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner. His stats should honestly be much higher and its remarkable he finished with 14k receiving yards, playing on a run first team and losing prime years due to a broken leg and coming into the league as a punt returner. I say all this with respect because I always felt Andre Johnson was an underrated beast and an Anquan Boldin is one of my favorite WR's all time.

Steve Smith

Andre Johnson

Torry Holt

Ocho 

Boldin

Reggie Wayne

Marshall

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 12:03 PM, Car123 said:

Smith Sr.

Andre Johnson 

Holt

Ocho

Wayne

Boldin

Marshall

On 11/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, scar988 said:

Andre Johnson

Torry Holt

Reggie Wayne

Steve Smith

Ocho

Boldin

Brandon Marshall

7 hours ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Not to put on the homer glasses but I do think Smith genuinely has a case to be ranked the best of this bunch.  At his peak he was the most dangerous of this group, his speed, YAC ability, his contested catch skills were stunning. And to do it at his size was something special. Additionally he was targeted far less than all of these other players throughout the years and didn't have the luxury of playing with Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner. His stats should honestly be much higher and its remarkable he finished with 14k receiving yards, playing on a run first team and losing prime years due to a broken leg and coming into the league as a punt returner. I say all this with respect because I always felt Andre Johnson was an underrated beast and an Anquan Boldin is one of my favorite WR's all time.

Steve Smith

Andre Johnson

Torry Holt

Ocho 

Boldin

Reggie Wayne

Marshall

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Holt

Andre Johnson

Smith Sr

Wayne

Ocho

Boldin

Marshall

Marshall had 1k receiving yards in a season with Cutler, Orton, McCown, Henne, Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

4 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Marshall had 1k receiving yards in a season with Cutler, Orton, McCown, Henne, Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

He averaged like 170 targets per season through his prime (which includes all of the years referenced.) You'd have to be spectacularly inefficient to not hit 1000 yards with that kind of target share, regardless of QB.

That list of names actually isn't as terrible as it seems. McCown was really only there for about 6 games in 2013, but he had a 109 passer rating across them. 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick was up there with the best we've seen of Ryan Fitzpatrick. And Orton and Cutler weren't terrible. They weren't great, but they were acceptable QBs for a time.

But again, Marshall was a big possession receiver who was heavily fed the ball through his entire prime. Like, the year with Henne, he caught less than 60% of his targets, went for less than 12 yards per catch, both in part due to the QB play, sure, but that still translates to a 1000 yard season when they chuck you the ball 150 times. Davone Bess could've had a 1000 yard season that same year in Miami with Henne if they had manufactured those extra 25 targets for him. Marshall was a big target that was really easy for mediocre QBs to throw the ball to, so they did.

And really, I called him a possession receiver, but he regularly was at or near the top of league in drops. He wasn't great at just catching the ball compared to the other guys in the list. But he doesn't have the speed of Johnson, Smith, Wayne, or Holt either. So it seems like the appropriate name.

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 9:37 AM, Jakuvious said:

He averaged like 170 targets per season through his prime (which includes all of the years referenced.) You'd have to be spectacularly inefficient to not hit 1000 yards with that kind of target share, regardless of QB.

That list of names actually isn't as terrible as it seems. McCown was really only there for about 6 games in 2013, but he had a 109 passer rating across them. 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick was up there with the best we've seen of Ryan Fitzpatrick. And Orton and Cutler weren't terrible. They weren't great, but they were acceptable QBs for a time.

But again, Marshall was a big possession receiver who was heavily fed the ball through his entire prime. Like, the year with Henne, he caught less than 60% of his targets, went for less than 12 yards per catch, both in part due to the QB play, sure, but that still translates to a 1000 yard season when they chuck you the ball 150 times. Davone Bess could've had a 1000 yard season that same year in Miami with Henne if they had manufactured those extra 25 targets for him. Marshall was a big target that was really easy for mediocre QBs to throw the ball to, so they did.

And really, I called him a possession receiver, but he regularly was at or near the top of league in drops. He wasn't great at just catching the ball compared to the other guys in the list. But he doesn't have the speed of Johnson, Smith, Wayne, or Holt either. So it seems like the appropriate name.

Great spot on Marshall. I always liked him as a WR, though had him at the bottom of this lsit anyway, but after checking at a glance he never even once topped the top 20 of yards per target during his career. That's pretty incredible given the yards he put up for so many years.