Big Changes in Seattle?

showtime

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

I'm glad he's gone, we would have to deal with the same double speak all year as well.  It was definitely a surprise, but he wanted to move on. 

I'd rather we've let Pete go. Or both of them. Definitely would prefer to see Russ stay, but if we're going in this direction, then we should do what we did in 2010 when we started changing the culture and the direction of the club, and with Pete still here it feels underwhelming to go in a new direction with old personnel and mindset at the very top.

I understand the sentiment. To me Russell felt like he was bigger than the team and players felt it. Even with Pete gone I don't think the problems would have stopped.

He wanted to leave and he made it clear to everyone and lied in every interview saying he wanted to be a Seahawk. It was a toxic relationship and despite the love the only way to get beyond it is to cut it off. 

I am truly excited for the rebuild. I've never been as huge a draft guy like a lot of people on the forum, but know it will bring new excitement to the fan base. 

Edited by SHONUFF
Because I wanted to.

When am I able to get off this ride..? 

*rant incoming* 

So continues one of the greatest examples of roster malpractice in modern day sports history. Do not continue reading if you prefer a rose-colored perspective on your favorite team. 

Want to know the state of the franchise? We currently have a lame-duck owner who inherited the team and very clearly is not at all familiar with business operations, let alone specific to the game of football. We have an owner who has decided to put her eggs in the basket of an aging Head Coach with well-documented out-of-date practices and a GM who has done an incredible job of wasting valuable draft picks, getting absolutely mugged in trades, and successfully stripping down a roster that was on the brink of a dynasty. We have an owner who has prioritized that aforementioned duo over one of the most winningest QBs in NFL history. A Super Bowl winner. A future HOFer. A guy who is debatably still in his prime. There are maybe 10 human beings on the planet who automatically make your team a Super Bowl contender. Russell is one of them. There are arguably dozens of coaches and GMs who could breed a winning culture around such a player. 

This isn't the NBA. This is the NFL. It doesn't matter if a players "wants out", especially at QB. Aaron Rodgers publicly stated he would never play another down for Green Bay. They managed to reconcile to keep their franchise QB around. We decide to give up on ours and take a low-ball offer because we've depleted our leverage? 

"Well, we had to take the Denver offer because of Wilson's no-trade clause". No we didn't. The other option is KEEP YOUR FRANCHISE QB. You look Russell square in that dopey face of his and you say, "You want out of Seattle? You'll be flexible with your destination". Russ can either be open to more teams or he can rot in Pete Carroll's neutered offensive system for the rest of his days. Is John Schneider the worst negotiator of all-time? How does he CONTINUOUSLY get bent over a barrel in trade negotiations. What leverage did the Jets have to pry TWO 1st round picks from us for a disgruntled box safety entering the last year of his contract? What leverage did the Broncos have to NOT give us 3 1st round picks OR a young foundation piece like Javonte Williams, Jerry Jeudy, or Patrick Surtain. Oh, Noah Fant? Great get John. You managed to pry a disappointing TE entering a contract year off of a team that already paid their WRs and made it abundantly clear that Fant was not in their long-term plans.

Greg Olsen said that the coaches treated Russell like "an undrafted free agent QB" during his brief stint here. It confirms everything people didn't want to believe, but knew all along. The greatest QB in this city's history had a simple request: open up the offense so I can prove how great I am. And sure, we'd do that for a stretch of a few games at a time, but the second Russ made a bad decision with the ball, it was back to running the LEAGUE'S 32ND RANKED neutral pace of play offense. That's right. Baker Mayfield. Daniel Jones. Carson Wentz. Davis Mills. Taylor Heineke. What do all of these QBs have in common? Their coach allowed them to run a faster neutral pace of play than Pete Carroll opted for with Russell Wilson. 

But, there must be hope! Deshaun Watson? Malik Willis? Kenny Pickett? Matt Corral? Frankly, who cares who it is. We refused to open up the offense for a future HOF QB, why should we expect anything different with one of those guys? Pete managed 1 Super Bowl win and another devastating loss based off of HIS decision making when he was given a HOF QB and a generational defense. Am I supposed to hold my breath for that combination again? 

I've said this before and I unfortunately have to say it again. Things are only going to get worse before they get better. Things are only going to get worse until we fire Pete Carroll and inject some modern day thinking into the brain trust of this team. 

Meanwhile, I am going to slip into a deep, dark depression if Russ has a career year in Denver with an inferior supporting cast. 

3 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

He wanted to leave and he made it clear to everyone and lied in every interview saying he wanted to be a Seahawk. It was a toxic relationship and despite the love the only way to get beyond it is to cut it off.

We may never know, but I actually believe that Russell did want to be a Seahawk. He just didn't want to be a Seahawk under a regime that clipped his wings and refused to maximize the best years of his career. 

I definitely think ultimately, this will be looked back on as a huge mistake. I dont have a ton of confidence Pete-John can turn things around on the fly. 

I do think this is the direction BOTH parties wanted to go. Sounds like Russell really felt he was held back by this regime; and wanted to go somewhere to thrive. Pete-John seem to have wanted to hit a reset on the culture/lockerroom (Much like they did in 2017-2018 offseason) and try to leverage the extra assets and cap space into one more run with a young, hungry team (like 2010). Pete is a culture guy; and probably wanted a fresh tabula rasa to mold before riding off into the sunset. I do think eventually Pete wants to transition away from coaching; and have a solid foundation to pass off to his heir apparent. 

All the signs this off-season to are pointing to Pete Carroll losing his personal control. The changes to his beloved defensive scheme, changes to the offensive line coach. Then the personnel changes, pointing to a rebuild. I've read Rob Staton elude to it.  What yo you think?

On 3/12/2022 at 12:32 PM, SHONUFF said:

All the signs this off-season to are pointing to Pete Carroll losing his personal control. The changes to his beloved defensive scheme, changes to the offensive line coach. Then the personnel changes, pointing to a rebuild. I've read Rob Staton elude to it.  What yo you think?

The high volume of coaching changes would agree with this sentiment. Tough to know for sure. 

@SaveOurSonics completely agree with everything you said. There is just no way of objectively saying that the deal we got for Russ was good, or that even the decision of trading him is good. Plenty of stars wanted to leave their teams at some point, but they don't always get their way. Remember Kobe? Dude almost signed for the Clippers and then some time later was sending public love letters to the Bulls. He never wanted to put on a Lakers jersey again. Of course, history barely remembers that now.

I am a newer Seahawks fan, since I'm from Europe and didn't discover football until 2017 and from my perspective, not having witnessed the LOB era, I can tell you that Pete ain't it. I felt like we always played down to our opponents level, and that our roster was way to talented to play boring, stubborn, run first football. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I saw it in the last five years.

The best of times? When Russ could go crazy. Instead, even I knew exactly which plays we were gonna run in my first season of watching football, cause run-run, pass, punt really wasn't too complicated to notice.

Edited by TheChancellor