Big Changes in Seattle?

showtime

25 minutes ago, TheChancellor said:

I felt like we always played down to our opponents level, and that our roster was way to talented to play boring, stubborn, run first football. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I saw it in the last five years.

The best of times? When Russ could go crazy. Instead, even I knew exactly which plays we were gonna run in my first season of watching football, cause run-run, pass, punt really wasn't too complicated to notice.

No, you’re not wrong. Pete was able to get away with being ultra conservative for a 2-year stretch because he had an all-time great defense and all-time clutch QB. 

Since then it’s largely been leaning into Russ saving the team. That’s pretty much been confirmed by the Greg Olsen interview. It’s hard to bank of them catching lightning in a bottle twice. 

• Like 1

Looking at the resigning... I think Seattle is hedging their bets, and positioning themselves to pick up 2-3 comp picks next year. Dissly, Jones and Woods allows Seattle to let Reed, Everett and Green walk in FA, and those deals could net 4th, 6th and 7th. 

Not sure if John-Pete cares about comp picks, but they could position themselves nicely on that. 

Safety, TE, and DT are pretty set roster wise (assuming they tender Mone) so Seattle can focus on EDGE, CB, OL, and LB in the draft. 

7 hours ago, animaltested said:

Looking at the resigning... I think Seattle is hedging their bets, and positioning themselves to pick up 2-3 comp picks next year. Dissly, Jones and Woods allows Seattle to let Reed, Everett and Green walk in FA, and those deals could net 4th, 6th and 7th. 

Not sure if John-Pete cares about comp picks, but they could position themselves nicely on that. 

Safety, TE, and DT are pretty set roster wise (assuming they tender Mone) so Seattle can focus on EDGE, CB, OL, and LB in the draft. 

Lots of positions to focus on, hopefully we nail at least a couple. I probably have the most faith in picking up a good LB and EDGE, but it's just a hunch.

I know the theme this is year is doom and gloom, but if Seattle can ink Trent Brown.. pretty solid start to FA. Blythe & Burns offer depth at thin positions and have familiarity with their coaches. Uchenna is a nice grab, 25 year old Edge is a good addition as Seattle presumably continues to shift to more of a 3-4. 

QB and LT are the only major holes right now. Maybe they can resign Duane? Would allow Seattle to focus on BPA, and stack the roster with young talent (if they keep their 4 day 1-2 picks).

I like the additions to the roster, especially Uchenna. My guess is they will grab a left tackle at #9. I'll bet the guy they want is Ikem Ekwonu, all this talk about moving him to guard because he's such a mauler is exactly what they want in a tackle.

These moves  made today allow them to concentrate on a LT. I'm sure they know the top pass rusher won't be there at #9. QB? None are worth the 9th pick, they all have the same questions. All the free agent/available in trade seem to be about the same level as Lock, so you may as well use the picks on building blocks. 

Edited by SHONUFF

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 7:22 PM, SHONUFF said:

I'm sure they know the top pass rusher won't be there at #9. QB? None are worth the 9th pick, they all have the same questions. All the free agent/available in trade seem to be about the same level as Lock, so you may as well use the picks on building blocks.

Rumors that Kayvon's stock is on the decline. Not sure if we'd jump on that or not due to scheme fit. 

I've become more and more convinced that they plan to take a QB in the 2nd round (if there's one there they like) and essentially go BPA in the 1st. I don't think any of this year's class of QBs is worth that #9 pick, whereas several of them have the general makeup to be worth a roll of the dice in the 2nd or 3rd. 

I have a funny feeling the About Kyle Hamilton. If he falls to us, which some are predicting. I see him as a Pete project, converting to cornerback. I think we should be looking at the pass rush/offensive tackle. In a scenario where the top guys are gone at those position I can see Pete/John making that pick. Instead of a stingly, you know their preference for arm length at CB. Just a thought after reading about Hamilton a bit. 

They would have to be interested at least. Unless the staff REALLY see's something with Lock. That being said, at his current cap hit; Seattle cant/wont afford him. If he is cut, Seattle might inquire, but Id imagine someone like Carolina would be a better suitor (ie more desperate) 

I do think Baker would fit what Seattle wants to do on offense. He was a really good passer off PA and on the move; which fits with Seattle (presumably) 2TE run heavy scheme.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 2:16 PM, showtime said:

What do you all think of Baker Mayfield. Seems like Seattle is one of the top predicted destinations for him along with a team like the Panthers. What would it take to trade for him and how good do you all think he could be?

Baker could be really great in Seattle. He's being slept on hard because he was injured last year. He's gonna recover fine and be a plus starter. He could be had ridiculously cheap, I'm guessing. I've been mocking him for a fourth rounder and the Browns paying around half his contract. That's highest robbery IMO; Baker healthy going forward will be worth more than a first.

6 hours ago, animaltested said:

They would have to be interested at least. Unless the staff REALLY see's something with Lock. That being said, at his current cap hit; Seattle cant/wont afford him. If he is cut, Seattle might inquire, but Id imagine someone like Carolina would be a better suitor (ie more desperate) 

I do think Baker would fit what Seattle wants to do on offense. He was a really good passer off PA and on the move; which fits with Seattle (presumably) 2TE run heavy scheme.

Baker would fit the scheme well. There are some similarities between Wilson's and Mayfield's games.