Jump to content

Should we start Mariota?


Mariota time?  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Mariota?

    • Yes
      5
    • No
      11


Recommended Posts

No he shouldn't start (unless we're purely interested in getting a better draft slot) but what I would say is that he maybe could be used more, maybe have a package for him where he's in for 4 or 5 plays and throws aswell as runs. He just seems to come in purely to run, maybe do a playaction with a deep shot or a roll out throw where the D might be thinking he's going to run? 

We're really struggling at the moment to generate offence so I think it may create something the D hasn't prepared for, let's try something different sure, but no need to bench the better QB whilst we still have playoffs to aim for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I’d be fine with playing him in the red zone, but Carr is a better QB in every other category.

Carr has completely collapsed over the last 3 weeks and is on the verge of tanking our season again for the third consecutive year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Mariota, like Carr, is a known quantity at this stage, so I’d say no. Are there any Raiders fans who think he could be the guy for this team?

Tannehill was also a known commodity when he got to Tennessee. The team started 2-4, benched Mariota, and then Tannehill provided the spark they needed so they ended up making the playoffs. In the one game Mariota played for us last season, he played very well. I think his ability to run and be a playmaker would provide our offense with a huge boost. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Tannehill was also a known commodity when he got to Tennessee. The team started 2-4, benched Mariota, and then Tannehill provided the spark they needed so they ended up making the playoffs. In the one game Mariota played for us last season, he played very well. I think his ability to run and be a playmaker would provide our offense with a huge boost. 

I don’t see Mariota being another Tannehill but you never know in the NFL I guess.

The one thing I will agree with is that his running ability totally changes the way teams would have to play against us, and with the offense so flat the last few weeks maybe this would be a way of shaking things up. The real problem with starting him is that I don’t think there’s anything he does better than Carr other than his running. And yes, that’s even comparing him with the bad version of Carr we’ve seen for the past few weeks.

Probably a moot point anyway. Unless Carr gets hurt or we’re sitting at 5-10 I don’t think we see Mariota starting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither is Carr the Problem, nor is Mariota the solution for our problems.
Yes I do think, that we should use Mariota more often. Especially when things don't work out at the offense.
But he won't be our saviour.
I think our team is mentally broken, because of the things that were going on with Ruggs.
It's one thing if your Boss gets fired because he did something wrong and a totally different thing if your colleague gets took someone's life and gets fired.
You can't expect from anybody to get that out of their heads.

Therefore I think our season is over. Our focus should be that we develop our rookies the rest of the season and find the right GM-HC-Combo.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t see Mariota being another Tannehill but you never know in the NFL I guess.

The one thing I will agree with is that his running ability totally changes the way teams would have to play against us, and with the offense so flat the last few weeks maybe this would be a way of shaking things up. The real problem with starting him is that I don’t think there’s anything he does better than Carr other than his running. And yes, that’s even comparing him with the bad version of Carr we’ve seen for the past few weeks.

Probably a moot point anyway. Unless Carr gets hurt or we’re sitting at 5-10 I don’t think we see Mariota starting.

We've seen Mariota make one start in our offense and he looked great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stockholm syndrome 

I can’t believe people still want to trot carr out there just to see him score 1 td a game. It’s ok eventually the team gonna turn on carr. I rewatched the game and you saw josh barking all in carrs face after that 3rd down bs carr check into a run. Zay also got in carr face which resulted in carr finally giving zay a pass even tho it was out of bounds. 
 

carr even said in the press “Jon used to tell me don’t worry they’ll boo me not you” Carr has no one to hide behind anymore 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Stockholm syndrome 

I can’t believe people still want to trot carr out there just to see him score 1 td a game. It’s ok eventually the team gonna turn on carr. I rewatched the game and you saw josh barking all in carrs face after that 3rd down bs carr check into a run. Zay also got in carr face which resulted in carr finally giving zay a pass even tho it was out of bounds. 
 

carr even said in the press “Jon used to tell me don’t worry they’ll boo me not you” Carr has no one to hide behind anymore 

Mayock reportedly sprinted out of his suite and went down to the field after Carr checked into the running play on 3rd and 7. Then in the post game press conference Carr said that the team came out flat, Rich kind of threw him under the bus and said he didn't think that was the case. Carr also said that the team could lock in and prepare for Dallas or they could go be out late on the strip and have late night dinners. Perryman spoke to the media shortly after and seemed to be taking a dig at Carr when he said he would have to cut his interview short because he had dinner reservations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...