Should we start Mariota?

NYRaider

Mariota time?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Mariota?

• Yes
    • No

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock reportedly sprinted out of his suite and went down to the field after Carr checked into the running play on 3rd and 7. Then in the post game press conference Carr said that the team came out flat, Rich kind of threw him under the bus and said he didn't think that was the case. Carr also said that the team could lock in and prepare for Dallas or they could go be out late on the strip and have late night dinners. Perryman spoke to the media shortly after and seemed to be taking a dig at Carr when he said he would have to cut his interview short because he had dinner reservations. 

Somebody’s has to take carr out of his misery maybe sitting him a week will allow him to re group. 

I actually see both sides of this. Ultimately Carr is better + Mariota is probably just gonna get hurt anyway=Just stick with Carr.

I would say this though: Mariota style is better for how the Raiders play defense right now because of how Carr is not really taking care of the football

I wouldn’t want him to start. If I recall, I the one game he played last year, he threw a INT on the final drive going for the win, and had 2 more INTs dropped. I wasn’t all that impressed with him, but then again, he wasn’t practicing with the starters that week and it was just one game. I am all for him getting involved in more plays on offense. Especially in the red zone where the team seems to struggle the most. 

Mariota would be more inconsistent passing. But his ability to run RPOs and create outside the pocket would surely help on 3rd down and in the redzone. 

This coaching staff is feckless, so they will roll with Carr. To me, if he's completely ineffective again in the first half, I mix it up and let Mariota play the second half. Why the hell not at this point?

Find a spark anywhere you can

• Like 2

As a Carr fan, I vote yes. 

I've made my stance clear on trying to trade Carr and find a different, cheaper QB to man the fort as a bridge QB. 

Give Mariota the chance to prove his worth. If he's effective at all, we have our cheaper bridge guy between now and our hopeful QBOTF or possibly trade ammo in the form of 2 QBs should we sign a big FA at the position instead of trying to draft one right now. 

If he flops, back to the drawing board. 

Now, this all being said, I wouldn't be opposed to letting Carr start and stay in until we're down 10+ at the half and letting Mariota finish the game out, if people don't want to start him outright. But I think getting him meaningful snaps gives us some clarity going forward. 

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Somebody’s has to take carr out of his misery maybe sitting him a week will allow him to re group. 

We are not going to know what we have until we sit Carr or he is on another team.  Would love to finally answer this question and bench Carr before we trade him.

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Tannehill was also a known commodity when he got to Tennessee. The team started 2-4, benched Mariota, and then Tannehill provided the spark they needed so they ended up making the playoffs. In the one game Mariota played for us last season, he played very well. I think his ability to run and be a playmaker would provide our offense with a huge boost. 

The thing is, how often does the known quantity solid back-up come in and ****** the starter role? Usually when there is a change at QB like that it has no material effect...Tannehill was the exception that proves the rule.

I have supported Carr throughout, and the last three games have, for the most part, been ugly, but even if I were to bail on Carr (which I have not) I just don't see any viable options...

• Mariota - failed elsewhere (Titans), had one decent game for the Raiders that has been blown out of proportion and was the guy who let Tannehill take his starting gig
  • Peterman - best thing here is how Gruden split his name into Peter and Man making him sound superhuman but he is yet to prove anything on the field
  • Draft - In all honesty I am not seeing a prospect catch my eye that I think "Wow, he is the guy"

So the only realistic avenue open if you want rid of Carr is wait to the end of the season and then sell the farm to get Rodgers...that is a lot of draft capital for a guy his age when quite frankly I do not believe we are just a QB away.

If we are just going to call the season now sitting at 5-5 then why not I suppose, but the AFC is a malaise this year with lots of teams with very similar records so we are not out of it...yet (at least).

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m just glad we finally have a decent defense so they can’t be used as an excuse this time around 

If our defense could get out of its own way we are on the brink of being really good. I am not bothered by the number of penalties against the Bengals but it was just silly stuff like Yannick pushing the QB for NO REASON and Jefferson (a vet player) not lining up right in key down and distance situations. Tidy that up and this defense can take another huge step forward.

• Like 1