Should we start Mariota?

NYRaider

Mariota time?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Mariota?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Heart of Oak said:

The thing is, how often does the known quantity solid back-up come in and ****** the starter role? Usually when there is a change at QB like that it has no material effect...Tannehill was the exception that proves the rule.

Fitzpatrick taking over for Tua helped them a ton, Foles led the Eagles to the Super Bowl after Wentz got hurt, Dak had a ton of success when Romo got hurt, Lamar had a ton of success when he took over for Flacco, and Kapernick lit it up when he took over for Smith.

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Fitzpatrick taking over for Tua helped them a ton, Foles led the Eagles to the Super Bowl after Wentz got hurt, Dak had a ton of success when Romo got hurt, Lamar had a ton of success when he took over for Flacco, and Kapernick lit it up when he took over for Smith.

Most of those situations are not where the incoming QB has been someone that has failed elsewhere as per Mariota and Tannehill...Dak, Lamar and Kap were young QBs that were drafted with the hope of replacing the vet and proved their worth, while Tua has been resoundingly meh - Foles and Wentz is the best example and I am not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is rare.

1 minute ago, Heart of Oak said:

Most of those situations are not where the incoming QB has been someone that has failed elsewhere as per Mariota and Tannehill...Dak, Lamar and Kap were young QBs that were drafted with the hope of replacing the vet and proved their worth, while Tua has been resoundingly meh - Foles and Wentz is the best example and I am not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is rare.

It is rare that a backup takes over for the starter and jump starts the team. It is also rare that a QB declines as much as Carr has and then rebounds. 

At some point during the year we need to see another QB play with our current roster.  All this talk about Carr is the problem or the team around him sucks does not matter until you have something to measure him against.  If MM comes in and excels then maybe Carr is more of a problem and if MM falls flat on his face then you know Carr is probably not the problem.  We are still in the playoff hunt so I would say start Carr against Dallas but if the offense is flat I would pull Carr.  Maybe sitting on the bench could wake him up also.  He tries to sound good in the press conferences but right now this offense looks really bad on the field.  Maybe it is Olsen, maybe Carr, and maybe the other players.  No way of knowing until you change something.

44 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

At some point during the year we need to see another QB play with our current roster.  All this talk about Carr is the problem or the team around him sucks does not matter until you have something to measure him against.  If MM comes in and excels then maybe Carr is more of a problem and if MM falls flat on his face then you know Carr is probably not the problem.  We are still in the playoff hunt so I would say start Carr against Dallas but if the offense is flat I would pull Carr.  Maybe sitting on the bench could wake him up also.  He tries to sound good in the press conferences but right now this offense looks really bad on the field.  Maybe it is Olsen, maybe Carr, and maybe the other players.  No way of knowing until you change something.

Exactly 

52 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Measuring things with former failed QB hardly proves anything. Carr is a better passer. Mariota is better at RPO and being a dual threat. 

At this stage, you know who Carr is. He's been in the league 8 years now. You know exactly what is going to happen when he gets pressured. Watch... Parsons is going to be on him early and often. Watch how he responds. 

But yes, throw Mariota in if you need a spark. No reason not to. Living and dying by Carr right now is ignorant. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Measuring things with former failed QB hardly proves anything. Carr is a better passer. Mariota is better at RPO and being a dual threat. 

At this stage, you know who Carr is. He's been in the league 8 years now. You know exactly what is going to happen when he gets pressured. Watch... Parsons is going to be on him early and often. Watch how he responds. 

But yes, throw Mariota in if you need a spark. No reason not to. Living and dying by Carr right now is ignorant. 

I think the contrasting styles will show who responds to different styles.  I believe Carr is the better QB but he might not be for this system or these players.  I personally think changing the QB is far easier than improving 6 other players around him.

• Like 1