Should we start Mariota?

NYRaider

Mariota time?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Mariota?

• Yes
    • No

On 11/23/2021 at 3:35 PM, big_palooka said:

Measuring things with former failed QB hardly proves anything. Carr is a better passer. Mariota is better at RPO and being a dual threat. 

Rich Gannon was a journeyman and complete afterthought when we signed him then went on to become the MVp and led us to a Super Bowl. 

10 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I think Carr could have a healthy market after the season. If we play it smart and don't want a randsome.

Let teams like Pittsburg, Saints, maybe Cleveland, Packers or SF set his price and trade him to the highest bidder. 

I think the 49ers will commit to giving Trey Lance at least one year if they move on from Jimmy and the Packers will give Jordan Love at least one year if they move on from Aaron Rodgers. The two most realistic destinations to me are the Saints and WFT. Both teams are a good veteran QB away from being able to make a playoff push and already have solid skill position groups and good defenses. The Saints in particular seem like a trade partner where all 3 parties would benefit the most. Sean Payton revived Drew Brees career when most thought he was done and they've seen this year that Winston isn't the guy. They'll have Michael Thomas/Alvin Kamara back, a great OL, and one of the best defenses in the league. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the 49ers will commit to giving Trey Lance at least one year if they move on from Jimmy and the Packers will give Jordan Love at least one year if they move on from Aaron Rodgers. The two most realistic destinations to me are the Saints and WFT. Both teams are a good veteran QB away from being able to make a playoff push and already have solid skill position groups and good defenses. The Saints in particular seem like a trade partner where all 3 parties would benefit the most. Sean Payton revived Drew Brees career when most thought he was done and they've seen this year that Winston isn't the guy. They'll have Michael Thomas/Alvin Kamara back, a great OL, and one of the best defenses in the league. 

I know that the SF and GB scenario is highly unlikely, but I can see a scenario where Aaron\Jimmy is shiped for a solid amount of picks, but the staff still wants a short term veteran solution ahead of their young guy for cheaper. 

Saints would be a win-win-win situation as you said and I forgot about WFT, where JDR could definately pound the table his bible study friend :)

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

His college scouting report...

Operated almost exclusively from shot gun, you say?

Not gonna lie, I almost wish we were just about pulling a reverse of what Philadelphia is doing and all but abandon the run game. We don't have one worth a damn anyway. 

Go shotgun with D-Jax, Waller, Renfrow, Moreau and Drake who can motion out or come out of the backfield. Chuck it 50 times per game. Lol. 

Anything but the crap we've been doing. Whatever it's been, it's not working with who we've got. Even as a Carr fan, I've never said he's perfect. Why we haven't made any adjustments on offense to at least try and be successful is infuriating. And it's been all year. We were winning when he was averaging a laughably unsustainable 400-ish yards per game. We should have known that pace was never going to last for anyone and that the lack of a run game was hamstringing us. Yet we continue to try and force the run AND keep Carr in. 

It's time for Olsen and Rich to make a decision- either put Mariota in and keep trying to force the offense to work with what you want to do, or, keep Carr in and abandon whatever it is you want the offense to look like. Everyone needs to step up, it's far from just one player. Carr + this offensive shceme isn't just going to magically work. The coaching staff should be adjusting and putting guys in the best position to succeed, and by sticking to the overall status quo, they are failing at that. 

I want Carr to succeed. Everyone does deep down, because it means we win. Imagine Kliff putting Murray on the field and asking him to play like he's vintage Roethlisberger. Imagine the Falcons asking Matt Ryan to run a Baltimore style offense and be a running QB. Dumb, right? That's where we're at. 

We need a lot of fixes on the offense. The O-line, the RBs, the WRs. There's no magic pill. But I'd rather watch Carr toss 2, 3, 4 INTs a game but be in position to throw 400+ yards and some scores by airing it out like crazy, and fail that way than watching our death by 1000 papercuts week in, week out in an offense that's, at best, stuck in neutral. Or, again, put Mariota in.

Something. Anything. Just stop being ostriches burying their heads in the sand. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This 1000%. 

Not saying Carr would replicate Brees' success in New Orleans (he's also older than Brees was so wouldn't be around as long, probably) but people seem to have largely forgotten that Brees wasn't anywhere close to a HoF QB in San Diego, and went on to become someone in conversation for top 8-10 all time, if we're being conservative. It certainly wasn't all Payton, Brees was a student of the game, but without Payton, he probably fades into a journeyman status 10 years ago. The "QB Arms Race" was between him and Culpepper, and between New Orleans and Miami. It's revisionist history for anyone to pretend either guy was viewed like Rodgers and Wilson hitting FA. The only reason Brees going to New Orleans and Culpepper going to Miami is even more than a standard FA footnote is because Brees went on to be a 1st ballot HoF'er and Saban ran to Tuscaloosa. But in 2006, nobody had any business saying Brees was 100% clearly the superior choice and a lock to be a franchise guy for the next 15 years. 

Payton made Teddy look good. He's actually won more games than he's lost with Taysom Hill as QB (great player, hardly a good QB). I've always disliked Payton, but credit where it's due. If he can't make you look good, you're really not good. 

Carr to New Orleans would be a good move for all parties. And I'd argue that Carr in 2022 is at least as enticing as 2005 Brees if we're being totally honest about Brees' early years pre-New Orleans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think Carr could have a healthy market after the season. If we play it smart and don't want a randsome.

Let teams like Pittsburg, Saints, maybe Cleveland, Packers or SF set his price and trade him to the highest bidder. 

I think Carr's main suitors, in no particular order, are likely:

New Orleans, Tampa (if Brady ever retires), Carolina, Atlanta, Houston (depending on the draft), Green Bay (for reasons you already stated), Detroit, WFT, Seattle. 

The entire NFCS could technically have new starting QBs next year, pending Brady's retirement status. Generally speaking, it's a warm weather division. 

Houston is a coin flip. But they'll likely explore all options. Also, warm weather division except for Indy who plays indoors. 

Green Bay as a bridge. Doubtful, but you never know. 

Detroit- probably drafting a guy, but who knows. Chicago and Green Bay play outdoors, which is a knock on Carr for 2 games per year with that, but home games and Minnesota would be indoors. 

WFT needs a QB bad. 

Seattle, if they move on from Wilson, could be looking for someone as a bridge for a bit depending on what they do in terms of rebuilding or reloading.

8 hours ago, Rolni said:

I'd be pissed if he was traded to the 9ers and any team in the AFC. I wouldn't want karma to come back and bite us with Carr.