The Week 13 Thread!

MikeT14

Well we knew that one chair at the table would be swiped away, and a couple others had been teetering for weeks, although only one other actually fell. So 2 weeks to go, 8 teams still technically alive (unless absolutely everyone loses) 7 of them fighting for 3 spots as Georgia is already locked in at this point. Just how we drew it up right? It is a relief that Oregon finally dropped, because we all knew the reality, that they were mostly smoke and mirrors at this point in the year. But I will say, the other big loss (MSU) makes you pause a bit. Ohio St was impressive, but more so Sparty was sort of embarrassing, especially when they were ranked Top 8. Does that mean were in for more of this in Ann Arbor? Sure hope not, that was boring even as an impartial fan. Really wish the Committee would put more into their rankings than just ordering the Undefeated/1-win teams. Bama is going to be #2 again this week, and they were unimpressive vs the Hogs, and Ohio St looked like the only other contender, but they will not be ranked that way.

Teams that fell out of the Playoff Chase:

Michigan St Spartans (9-2), Oregon Ducks (9-2)

SEC - 2 Team

Georgia Bulldogs (11-0) @Gerogia Tech

• Just running out the clock here. ND dominated Georgia Tech, what will the Bulldogs do to them? As stated above, UGA has one of the spots locked up, its just will it be #1, or will Bama rise to the occasion and knocked them off (yet still in the playoffs). I have my doubts.

Alabama Crimson Tide (10-1) @Auburn

• Again, disappointing from the squad that the committee has been ranking as the #2 team in the country. That little extra Zebra help didn’t hurt either. I wish Bo Nix was still able to play, so that the Iron Bowl would mean something here. And by saying that, if this game is even close, the Tide should be embarrassed.

BigTen - 2 Teams

Ohio St Buckeyes (10-1) @Michigan

• Wow, talk about a whoopin. It sure was impressive, but ill say it again, makes you wonder a bit about the entire level of the BigTen, if the Top team can do that to the supposed #2/3 team. (I will be saying the same thing ig Georgia does this to Alabama in two weeks). If they do this again to Michigan, Ill even bump them up over Cinci in my rankings, as that bundle of dominance would outweigh what I still think is one of the best Wins in College Fooball (CIN@ND)

Michigan Wolverines (10-1) vOhio St

• They made it to this week with a chance to control their own destiny. Didn’t always seem like they would, but it makes this game even bigger than it usually is. Some say its overrated due to the other sides dominance as of late, but even if so, its still one of the biggest games every year. Im hoping for a good game, its just hard seeing them to be able to put up enough, even if a great defense can slow the Buckeyes down some. Although I will remind everyone, Wisconsin still likely waits in Indianapolis as one final test before the Big Ten cashes its ticket to the Playoffs

Big XII - 2 Teams

Oklahoma St Cowboys (10-1) vOklahoma

• Im glad Oklahoma held on last week, gives another bump to OKState if they take care of business. Its also very fun to see them do this in such a different way than we expect a Gundy Cowboys squad to do it. Honestly I think it might actually be fun to see Defense Dominate the Playoff this year. If they add a OU pelt to their wall, and another one over a surging Baylor team in the Big12 Title game, and their only blemish was a questionable one on the road… Its going to be hard to keep them out.

Oklahoma Sooners (10-1) @Oklahoma St

• I called out the potential last week that OU might just pack it in ans spiral to the finish line, and they nearly did against the Cyclones. Thankfully not, and they are keeping the remaining Big 12 games meaningful right now. Although it would be an absolute longshot, if they can rally and take down OKState twice, they could be standing there at the end, with an ugly resume just like Notre Dame, and possibly Alabama.

AAC - 1 Team

Cincinnati Bearcats (11-0) @East Carolina

• I hate that I get to them so late in the post, but it is very interesting to see some of the take-smiths try to dance out of this one. They have been unimpressive for most of the year after they took down Notre Dame on the road., and SMU has been the best they have played since, and the Bearcats finally came out and utterly dominated them. Hard to see them having any issues this week, but they have flirted with disaster all year. I really hope we get an all important AAC Title game against Houston.

Independent - 1 Team

Notre Dame Fighting Irish (10-1) @Stanford

• Still hanging around. And while they should take care of Stanford, he Cardinal did already ruin Oregon’s season (without that loss, the Utah loss wouldn’t have ended it for the Ducks yet). But at this point, you cant not look at this resume and be just as impressed with it as pretty much all the other one loss teams. (maybe that says more to how unimpressive all these resumes are). But 11-1, only loss to the Undefeated Cincinnati, that’s got them right in this. If they had beat Cincinnati, they would be ranked #2, so with the best loss on the board…

To recap, were down to 8 teams, Georgia has one spot locked up, and we will almost definitely be down to 6 teams after this week, looking ahead to Championship weekend. This Rivalry Weekend is one of my favorites all year, as we have bad blood starting Thursday, a bunch more Friday, and then the biggest games of the week all on Saturday. Start it off with the most important game of the weekend with OSU/Michigan, take a peak at the Iron Bowl in the afternoon, and finish it off with Bedlam, and maybe even take a peak if theres any magic brewing out at Stanford.

My Playoff Rankins for this week:

1.     Georgia Bulldogs

2.     Cincinnati Bearcats

3.     Ohio St Buckeyes

4.     Oklahoma St Cowboys

5.     Alabama Crimson Tide

6.     Michigan Wolverines

7.     Notre Dame Fighting Irish

8.     Oklahoma Sooners

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

My Playoff Rankins for this week:

1.     Georgia Bulldogs

2.     Cincinnati Bearcats

3.     Ohio St Buckeyes

4.     Oklahoma St Cowboys

5.     Alabama Crimson Tide

6.     Michigan Wolverines

7.     Notre Dame Fighting Irish

8.     Oklahoma Sooners

Best ranking and reasoning I have seen.  I would have Bama over OK St but If Georgia takes care of business then a 2 loss non-conf champ Bama is out if it were up to me.  OSU/Mighican is an eliminator game.  Oklahoma needs to beat Ok St twice AND have Bama lose again, AND even have to have UC lose.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I just can't buy that. 

It’s hard but Sagarin rankings stats that OK St has played a tougher schedule up to this point and both teams are 3-1 vs top30 teams, with neither team facing a top10 team. Bama lost to the 12th rated team and OkSt lost to the 17th. Since Ok St lost to Iowa st they have been dominate, outscoring opponents 165-23. Where Bama hasn’t looked like Bama. So I like his ranking 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I just can't buy that. 

23 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Best ranking and reasoning I have seen.  I would have Bama over OK St but If Georgia takes care of business then a 2 loss non-conf champ Bama is out if it were up to me.

I understand why you would reflexively put Bama ahead of Oklahoma St. It just feels natural. But please point to me where Alabama has done anything impressive this year? I assume youre going to point to the Mississippi schools, and while Ole Miss is a good win, its not great (atificially inflated by the committee to make Bama look good), and State was one of their few blowouts on the year but looks less impressive as the season continues. Speaking of that, the close wins against Florida and LSU dont look great, and the "good loss" to A&M at the time should no longer be consider that. Not to mention this week when they once gain needed some Zebra assistance against the Hogs (Arkansas fans are going overboard with it, but still the Tide have been benefiting)

Where on the other side, Oklahoma St also has a close road loss, but were on the wrong side of the awful college officiating, so they still get the benefit from me there. And since that game, they have been DOMINATING teams. Sure its not the stiffest competition, but they have given up exactly ONE offensive TD in the past 4 games. Dont care who you are playing (as long as they arent NAIA schools) that is very impressive. Sure that could all come crumbling down this week, but Im only going on what Ive seen infront of me

As a side note, a win over Oklahoma this week would only strengthen this argument for OKst, as taking down a Bo Nix-less Auburn doesnt really stoke Alabama's resume for me. But to be clear, if they can take down Georgia, it would be the best win of the season, and would catapult them way up in the rankings. That is even if Oklahoma St takes down both Oklahoma and Baylor. This type of ranbking makes sure to not let a "close loss" be a benefit to Alabama, as the actual committee is trying to set up. Although, this would be quite the argument for a one-loss, Big12 Champoion Oklahoma St vs a One-loss (to Bama) Georgia without a Conference Championship. But thats a wild scenario for another time.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I understand why you would reflexively put Bama ahead of Oklahoma St. It just feels natural. But please point to me where Alabama has done anything impressive this year? I assume youre going to point to the Mississippi schools, and while Ole Miss is a good win, its not great (atificially inflated by the committee to make Bama look good), and State was one of their few blowouts on the year but looks less impressive as the season continues. Speaking of that, the close wins against Florida and LSU dont look great, and the "good loss" to A&M at the time should no longer be consider that. Not to mention this week when they once gain needed some Zebra assistance against the Hogs (Arkansas fans are going overboard with it, but still the Tide have been benefiting)

Where on the other side, Oklahoma St also has a close road loss, but were on the wrong side of the awful college officiating, so they still get the benefit from me there. And since that game, they have been DOMINATING teams. Sure its not the stiffest competition, but they have given up exactly ONE offensive TD in the past 4 games. Dont care who you are playing (as long as they arent NAIA schools) that is very impressive. Sure that could all come crumbling down this week, but Im only going on what Ive seen infront of me

As a side note, a win over Oklahoma this week would only strengthen this argument for OKst, as taking down a Bo Nix-less Auburn doesnt really stoke Alabama's resume for me. But to be clear, if they can take down Georgia, it would be the best win of the season, and would catapult them way up in the rankings. That is even if Oklahoma St takes down both Oklahoma and Baylor. This type of ranbking makes sure to not let a "close loss" be a benefit to Alabama, as the actual committee is trying to set up. Although, this would be quite the argument for a one-loss, Big12 Champoion Oklahoma St vs a One-loss (to Bama) Georgia without a Conference Championship. But thats a wild scenario for another time.

You're right that it's more reflexive than anything.  I don't know if i've even seen Ok St play this year outside of a couple highlights. I suppose that it's the Saban affect, and i've seen Ok St piss away opportunities before plenty of times.

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

You're right that it's more reflexive than anything.  I don't know if i've even seen Ok St play this year outside of a couple highlights. I suppose that it's the Saban affect, and i've seen Ok St piss away opportunities before plenty of times.

And they still have plenty of time for that