Are the Bears going to fire Nagy after Thanksgiving?

malak1

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Bears are a funny case because, judging by public perception, you'd think they have been a recently horrible team. Meanwhile, they finished .500 the last 2 years and 12-4 the year before that, all under Nagy. Made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. Maybe I'm just a dejected Giants fan, but I'd absolutely take that.

Arguably, they should have been better. Than 8-8 the last 2 years, and this one is shaping up to be a 10+ loss season. And the on-field product has been lacking. So I totally get them wanting to move on from him. 

But the franchise apparently wanted Justin Fields, and he's been pretty awful in games and is made of porcelain. This was always going to be a losing year regardless. So why the early firing and why so poorly executed? There's still technically enough games for them to finish close to .500. It's highly doubtful they would, so he's a lame duck anyway, but man this makes them look like amateurs.

He had the right idea trying to keep Fields on the sidelines and got pretty much forced to play the kid. Would Dalton have won more games? Probably not. But again, winning this year wasn't expected (or, shouldn't have been). Fields being downright awful as a rookie probably aided the perception that this was never going to work. But still.... what about the Chicago job is attractive right now? Fields looks like an injury prone bust waiting to happen, they don't have many assets on offense and the defense is ok.... sometimes. Now you add this debacle and it looks like the type of job a serious candidate wants to avoid. 

Now, I say I understand it. But personally, I would have finished out this season and went into next year with the win or be fired mentality. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger this year unless it was blowout after blowout They're 5 points away from being 5-5 with a likey win on Thursday moving them to 6-5 with at least 3 winnable games left. In what was always going to be a down year, that's not terrible. Sure, those 5 points are still losses, and the best they could really hope for is 6-11, maybe 7-10, but....I go back to the point that this was not supposed to be a resoundingly successful year. This is the type of move you make the same year you draft your QBOTF when you're sitting at 1 or 2 wins after a losing season the previous year and expect to finish with a 1-16, 2-14 record and haven't even been competitive. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

And this officially got awkward. If not true, the organization should have been on top of it. 

Instead, Nagy spoke first. 

Now you either have an amateur organization that leaks stuff but doesn't actually tell the coach.

Or

Am organization that will look bad firing him later given that they've allowed this story to leak and lose benefit of the doubt. 

Clown car. 

36 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He needed to go, but this seems like a pretty crappy move by the Bears. 

If you're gonna fire a guy, fire him. Don't leak it ahead of time, especially on a holiday. That's highly unprofessional. 

I mean the fact that it’s a holiday and short week is probably the only reason he wasn’t just fired now. It’s really bad for the organization to have that much upheaval and try to get things in order for a new coach to take over on 3 days notice. Its incredibly common to make a major change following a Thursday game when the decision was made prior to it 

The fact that it leaked doesn’t mean it came from the team in a capacity that they wanted it to come out. And you can’t really fault the Bears for having a leak over this when this type of info gets leaked by every team in the league.

Nagy is an “innovative offensive mind” and former QB coach that has failed to develop two high selection QBs that he hand picked; and refused to give practice reps to the QB they selected this year. He doesn’t come out of this looking good at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

I mean the fact that it’s a holiday and short week is probably the only reason he wasn’t just fired now. It’s really bad for the organization to have that much upheaval and try to get things in order for a new coach to take over on 3 days notice.

The fact that it leaked doesn’t mean it came from the team in a capacity that they wanted it to come out. And you can’t really fault the Bears for having a leak over this when this type of info gets leaked by every team in the league.

Nagy is an “innovative offensive mind” and former QB coach that has failed to develop two high selection QBs; and refused to give practice reps to the QB they selected this year. He doesn’t come out of this looking good at all.

Given that he seems to break a rib in a strong gust of wind off of Lake Michigan, I wouldn't give him many practice reps either, tbh. 

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

And this officially got awkward. If not true, the organization should have been on top of it. 

Instead, Nagy spoke first. 

Now you either have an amateur organization that leaks stuff but doesn't actually tell the coach.

Or

Am organization that will look bad firing him later given that they've allowed this story to leak and lose benefit of the doubt. 

Clown car. 

I'm here for it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Given that he seems to break a rib in a strong gust of wind off of Lake Michigan, I wouldn't give him many practice reps either, tbh. 

Pretty strong indictment on Nagy that he was all in with Ryan Pace to trade up for a player that the defense of his actions is he doesn’t think said player can even practice without getting hurt. Two firsts and two fourths for a guy who you think will get hurt in the off-season practice program? Yeah, you’re getting fired. 

54 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He needed to go, but this seems like a pretty crappy move by the Bears. 

If you're gonna fire a guy, fire him. Don't leak it ahead of time, especially on a holiday. That's highly unprofessional. 

You want to look like the bigger party that recognized that a divorce was imminent to attract a good HC candidate, this seems counterproductive to that. Provided Nagy doesn't do some crazy antics on the sidelines, he's going to look way better coming out of this than the Bears organization. 

Future job interviews:

Interviewer: "So, coach, what went wrong in Chicago?"

Nagy: "They pressured me to start a rookie who wasn't ready to play on Sundays. We went to the playoffs twice in the last 4 years and only had a losing record once, in a season that wasn't over yet, coming into a rebuilding situation coming off of 4 straight losing seasons. It's a franchise that had 3 winning seasons in the last decade and has gone through 4 HCs in the same timespan. Why didn't it work? Well, they're the type of franchise that lets a coach firing leak days in advance of a Holiday game against a division rival and still wants that coach to coach that game. Does that sound like a professional franchise that wants success to you?". 

Really bad look for the Bears, really. They'd be better off dismissing him today as damage control or trying to put the kebosh on the story and have him finish out the already lost season to save some face. 

The roster was capable of making the playoffs twice in four years despite Nagy being the HC. I think it speaks volumes about what our team had and wasted with this schmuck at HC in that span. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

Pretty strong indictment on Nagy that he was all in with Ryan Pace to trade up for a player that the defense of his actions is he doesn’t think said player can even practice without getting hurt. Two firsts and two fourths for a guy who you think will get hurt in the off-season practice program? Yeah, you’re getting fired. 

He was against playing him as a rookie to begin with. 

I would've been too. None of the rookies this year look very good, and most typically don't. 

I do think these rumors are all baseless but it would be a dream come true if he gets axed. There’s no positive to keeping him around any longer. He’s lost the locker room. The one thing he’s supposed to be good at is his worst trait. 

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

The roster was capable of making the playoffs twice in four years despite Nagy being the HC. I think it speaks volumes about what our team had and wasted with this schmuck at HC in that span. 

Hey you don't have to convince me that Nagy shouldn't be the HC. 

But the timing is the type of things poorly run franchises....oh, yeah. Nevermind.

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He was against playing him as a rookie to begin with. 

I would've been too. None of the rookies this year look very good, and most typically don't. 

I’m all for Fields but this entire time, I haven’t wanted him to play. I feel like playing the dude with a crappy supporting cast and poor coaching is more detrimental than getting on field experience 

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

I’m all for Fields but this entire time, I haven’t wanted him to play. I feel like playing the dude with a crappy supporting cast and poor coaching is more detrimental than getting on field experience 

I like Fields' upside the most of the rookie class. But yeah he shouldn't have seen the field. That was my entire point about him. 

• Like 1