Should the Seahawks clean house?

notthatbluestuff

On 11/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, SHONUFF said:

People on this forum think it's so easy to draft a pro bowl qb. New coach, new gm behind Wilson. Go young on defense and rebuild the trenches. 

My guess is Wagner would be gone. He's great all, but due something 18 mil next year. Part of the problem is that Carroll refuses to play his draft picks and opts for aging average vets. Carroll and Schneider are done though. 

It's not easy, but he's 33 years old in 2 days. Heading into his age 34 season, and honestly, I'm not sure how well he's going to age. Their roster isn't set up for a quick turnaround...especially when you consider that they only had 3 picks last year (their highest of which was spent on an overaged, niche receiver),  have no first round pick this year, and have gotten relatively little out of previous high draft picks. At some point, it behooves you to just cash out your equity in Wilson because you're being up front about where your franchise is. They play in arguably the most difficult division in football...the time for trying to build around Wilson may just be done. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not easy, but he's 33 years old in 2 days. Heading into his age 34 season, and honestly, I'm not sure how well he's going to age. Their roster isn't set up for a quick turnaround...especially when you consider that they only had 3 picks last year (their highest of which was spent on an overaged, niche receiver),  have no first round pick this year, and have gotten relatively little out of previous high draft picks. At some point, it behooves you to just cash out your equity in Wilson because you're being up front about where your franchise is. They play in arguably the most difficult division in football...the time for trying to build around Wilson may just be done. 

Well said. The Seahawks have just about the bleakest short-term and long-term outlook of any team in the NFL. They absolutely failed to build to build around Wilson in his prime because they just couldn't draft, so they opted to spend in FA instead and it got them nowhere. The players they got from 2011-2012 drafts carried this entire franchise for a decade.

After how PCJS have crippled this team I don't see how you could possibly believe the Seahawks shouldn't make a change at least with the GM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well said. The Seahawks have just about the bleakest short-term and long-term outlook of any team in the NFL. They absolutely failed to build to build around Wilson in his prime because they just couldn't draft, so they opted to spend in FA instead and it got them nowhere. The players they got from 2011-2012 drafts carried this entire franchise for a decade.

After how PCJS have crippled this team I don't see how you could possibly believe the Seahawks shouldn't make a change at least with the GM.

Pete Carroll is essentially the GM, he has the final say over all player acquisition. 

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Source?

https://crosscut.com/2014/01/how-seattle-seahawks-hired-pete-carroll-usc 

An interesting read on how Carroll came to be the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. He had previously been approached by several NFL teams, but he turned down each of them. Carroll was looking for control of football operations if he were to return to the NFL based on his previous experiences.

The Seahawks Todd Leiweke, president of the Seahawks fired both Jim Mora and the GM Tim Ruskell leaving the team GMless and HCless. They contacted Carroll and offered him control over football operations and thus, he was hired before John Schneider, the Seahawks GM. The one stipulation was that Carroll had to choose his partner in crime, the GM from a pool of 5 candidates. 

Carroll coming to the Seahawks and back to the NFL was heavily contingent on Carroll getting control over personal decisions. If you look at Carroll's title on the official website of the Seattle Seahawks as well he isn't just listed as head coach. His official title is head coach/executive vice president of football operations. That last bit in his title 'executive vice president of football operations' is usually only given to GM's. Only two other coaches in the NFL have this designation -- those being Bill Belichick in New England and Ron Rivera in Washington.

5 hours ago, LoFi said:

https://crosscut.com/2014/01/how-seattle-seahawks-hired-pete-carroll-usc 

An interesting read on how Carroll came to be the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. He had previously been approached by several NFL teams, but he turned down each of them. Carroll was looking for control of football operations if he were to return to the NFL based on his previous experiences.

The Seahawks Todd Leiweke, president of the Seahawks fired both Jim Mora and the GM Tim Ruskell leaving the team GMless and HCless. They contacted Carroll and offered him control over football operations and thus, he was hired before John Schneider, the Seahawks GM. The one stipulation was that Carroll had to choose his partner in crime, the GM from a pool of 5 candidates. 

Carroll coming to the Seahawks and back to the NFL was heavily contingent on Carroll getting control over personal decisions. If you look at Carroll's title on the official website of the Seattle Seahawks as well he isn't just listed as head coach. His official title is head coach/executive vice president of football operations. That last bit in his title 'executive vice president of football operations' is usually only given to GM's. Only two other coaches in the NFL have this designation -- those being Bill Belichick in New England and Ron Rivera in Washington.

I want to believe an article from 2014 is still relevant in 2021, but I'm just having trouble. I do believe Pete has say/input in player decisions, but I'm not quite sold that he's the guy calling the shots over John Schneider at this point.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I want to believe an article from 2014 is still relevant in 2021, but I'm just having trouble. I do believe Pete has say/input in player decisions, but I'm not quite sold that he's the guy calling the shots over John Schneider at this point.

Why are you having trouble? Carroll still has the same title and he still holds authority over John Schneider. I don't know how you can't at least place a significant portion of the Seahawks drafting woes directly at Carroll's feet. Carroll came to Seattle because he got control over personal, what makes you think anything has changed about the arrangement between Carroll and Schneider? Pete Carroll has ultimate authority over any decisions and the ability to veto anything Schneider does. 

Edited by LoFi

Looks like changes could be coming in January. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/05/report-seahawks-owner-jody-allen-is-very-involved-and-not-happy-with-teams-performance/

Seahawks owner Jody Allen has kept a low profile since inheriting the team from her brother, Paul Allen, three years ago. But just because she isn’t speaking publicly doesn’t mean she accepts her team’s 3-8 record.

Jody Allen is “very involved” and “not happy” with how the team is performing, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.

The report also says Allen views the problems in Seattle as bigger than just a one-year blip for a team that went 12-4 last year and has had nine consecutive winning seasons.

1 hour ago, DinoZ said:

Russell Wilson to Metcalf and Lockett has to stay intact and Bobby Wagner stay,  everthing else can go.

Why do you keep a soon to be 34 year old QB who seems to be declining on a roster that is not built to compete right now?

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Why do you keep a soon to be 34 year old QB who seems to be declining on a roster that is not built to compete right now?

Russell Wilson is one of the very elite QB's in the NFL.  we saw that Sunday.   The guy broke a finger,  evr break a fingerm try throwing a football.  What he did do was come back too early so we saw those those broken finger passes.   

34 is nothing for an NFL QB,  Rodgers 38 Brady 65.  You want Wilson who has done so many historically great things to retire a Seahawk.

Just now, DinoZ said:

Russell Wilson is one of the very elite QB's in the NFL.  we saw that Sunday.   The guy broke a finger,  evr break a finger try throwing a football.  What he did do was come back too early so we saw those those broken finger passes.   

34 is nothing for an NFL QB,  Rodgers 38 Brady 65.  You want Wilson who has done so many historically great things to retire a Seahawk.

• 4 weeks later...