ESPN Feature Story on Brady

tonyto36

A lot of interesting nuggets...

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/21227039/can-tom-brady-leave-football-terms-tb12-method

Belichick is seeking to secure an immortality of his own. No one knows how much longer he'll coach, but his friends give him two or three more years, enough to ensure that his two sons, Stephen and Brian, both Patriots assistants, are secure, and possibly long enough to establish a truly dynastic succession. He'd told friends for the past year that he wanted to coach Garoppolo as a starter and that he was confident he could win a Super Bowl with him. 

The apparent vote of confidence comes even as Brady has found himself in the middle of a conflict between the Patriots and Guerrero, with Guerrero blaming the team's trainers for injuries some of his clients have suffered and with Belichick making it resoundingly clear that Guerrero has no actual role on his staff. "There's a collision coming," a friend of Belichick's says

...and even without Garoppolo itching to supplant him, Brady is aware of the competing legacies at the heart of the Patriots' historic success. He says now that he "hopes" he doesn't play for anyone else, but "I'm also not naive to think I can't."

Did Brady decide to engage in brain training because he felt himself on the verge of rising to a new level or because he felt himself falling behind as a consequence of trauma already suffered? Mahncke didn't know; he had never asked. But he wanted to make one thing clear: "I talk to Tom a bunch, and this might surprise you, but he never talks about concussions, at all."

But then something else happens. Over the course of the season, even as Brady maintains an MVP-level form, others go down -- all members of the pliability circle. Hightower with a knee issue and a pectoral tear. Amendola with a concussion. Gronk with a groin problem. Brady himself has an aching shoulder. But he not only keeps showing up, he keeps prevailing, left alone with his Method, his singular talent and his unflagging determination. The game might never beat TB12. But it will do its best to make him the last man standing.

Can't find the article, but just heard on the radio that there was a report that Brady's camp quietly thought he was going to be traded at the end of the season?  Assuming Belichick thought Jimmy G was the next guy, it would make sense to resign him and trade Brady while he still has trade value.  Can't pay two QBs 20 million per.

Any chance Kraft pulled a power play and told Belichick that Brady is going no where?

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

" He'd told friends for the past year that he wanted to coach Garoppolo as a starter and that he was confident he could win a Super Bowl with him. "

Not buying. He wouldn't have traded him. 

Thats believable to me. It helps explain why they waited until the absolute last chance to trade him. He wanted to make it work, and probably for those reasons. 

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Thats believable to me. It helps explain why they waited until the absolute last chance to trade him. He wanted to make it work, and probably for those reasons. 

Yeah I change my mind. I think Jimmy had more power over the front office than any other player has had in franchise history, because he's so unique. He was probably unwilling to sign the franchise tag, he wanted starting football (which is totally fair). Curran thinks Kraft would have blocked any attempt to trade Brady, and as we know, BB doesn't care who you are - he's in this for the team. 

BB has made a trade that WASN'T the best option for the team. Trading in spring to Cleveland (who said they wanted him) for a early first would have been in the interest, but as he says, he wanted to try and make this unique QB situation work. 

For Bill to do this, is pretty pertinent, so now I do believe the above. 

I hope this isn't a "last hurrah" from Bill, and that he stays on even when Tom goes.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:34 AM, 1ForTheThumb said:

Could not agree more. Seeing tweets by a "golf analyst" now saying that Brady and Belichick don't really get along and that this was a Kraft decision. 

On 10/31/2017 at 6:29 PM, dhunt2402 said:

I don't buy the Kraft storyline. Reeks of lazy journalism.

This golf analyst plays golf with Brady and has legit personal ties to the Brady camp.  He's not just some guy.

There is IMO, zero chance he is saying this without someone from Bradys camp spelling this out to him.

On 10/31/2017 at 6:13 PM, Starless said:

If Kraft is intervening in personnel decisions, even when it comes to Brady, then Belichick already has one foot out the door.

Based off what?  Belichick has already said he doesn't plan on retiring soon, and is he really going to up and relocate to a different team?  He knows what he has here.

On 11/1/2017 at 8:24 AM, Deadpulse said:

Agreed.  I mean what other explanation is there?  That he thought Brady was going to come crashing back to earth?  That doesn't make any feasible sense.  Even if Brady regressed he'd still be a top 10 QB.  And there is no way Belichick couldn't see that in camp.  He still could have likely gotten a bigger package then.

The only feasible reason I can think of is that he thought he could franchise him or work out a long term deal with him and kick Brady out.  You can't pay two quarterbacks 45-50 million dollars and have a complete team.   Belichicks philosophy for two decades has always been to trade a guy early instead of late, and to get what you can for an expiring contract.  It doesn't make sense he could trade Jimmy for a big package but then decide to just let him walk for nothing.  It goes against 17 years of personnel decisions.

Trading Brady at the end of the season would've been a gutsy move.

I think if Jimmy hadn't been injured against the Dolphins then The Pats might have seriously considered that.  The small question mark over his health and ability to absorb hits may have forced their hand.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:45 PM, Dan_Bali said:

Trading Brady at the end of the season would've been a gutsy move.

I think if Jimmy hadn't been injured against the Dolphins then The Pats might have seriously considered that.  The small question mark over his health and ability to absorb hits may have forced their hand.

Then why not trade him in this past offseason when the rumored offers were much stronger.

Archived