ESPN Feature Story on Brady

tonyto36

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

BB said point blank he wanted to find a way to keep jimmy. 

I don't think there's any way he could have thought Jimmy was going to sign a team friendly deal.  Therefore he must have been planning on trading Brady right?

5 hours ago, tonyto36 said:
7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

BB said point blank he wanted to find a way to keep jimmy. 

I don't think there's any way he could have thought Jimmy was going to sign a team friendly deal.  Therefore he must have been planning on trading Brady right?

He was not planning to trade Brady. There is testimony to that as well. I think BB wanted to keep Jimmy as long as possible. They probably talked to Jimmy's team about what an extension would look like, what their expectations would be should the tag be used, and also figured out his perceived value across the league. All of these factors probably pointed to him making the decision that now was the final chance to get value for him.

On 11/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, Deadpulse said:

He was not planning to trade Brady. There is testimony to that as well. I think BB wanted to keep Jimmy as long as possible. They probably talked to Jimmy's team about what an extension would look like, what their expectations would be should the tag be used, and also figured out his perceived value across the league. All of these factors probably pointed to him making the decision that now was the final chance to get value for him.

See I just don't buy that.  

You can't have Brady at 22 million and Jimmy at 25 million in a cap league.   The cap is projected to be about 178 [after a quick google search].  That's nearly a third of the team's cap space on two players.   You can't have a competitive team like that.

EDIT:

We're ten million under the cap next year.  We would have to...

1.  Not resign any free agents, including Solder

2.  Cut D. Allen (5 million saved)

3.  Cut Branch (3.7 mill saved)

4.  Cut Harris (3.2 mill saved)

4.  Cut McClellin (2.8 mill saved)

5.  Cut Dorsett (1.4 mill saved)

Okay.  So those guys are guys I deemed most reasonable/tolerable to cut.   But then you're still without space to sign draft picks and you need a starting LT, backup TE, starting DT, and probably one or two passable backup LBs.   You also lose Burkhead, Lewis, Amendola, Butler, Slater, Waddle, and Ebner.

You are gutting half the team, and all of the depth, for a backup QB.   And that isn't even including making space to sign draft picks.

It makes no sense to have both on the roster.  It can't be done unless you want to go into rebuild mode which makes even less sense.

@tonyto36

First and foremost, I don’t think Garropolo would command a top of the market contract. Even as an UFA, I have serious doubts he would take in a contract that nets him 25m/yr. We’ll see when he eventually signs his extension, but it’s not reasonable to sign a guy whose appeared in 2 regular season games to a deal that makes him top 3 in QB money - even with the market being inflated as is. 

Second, even if they did pay him a decent sized chunk, there are numerous ways in which that cap hit could be mitigated for this year or next. They could structure it so most of the money is in the back or - more likely - give a big signing bonus up front. If they wanted to fit him, they definitely could. 

What @Deadpulse has said along with Belichick’s comments make it pretty clear that they wanted Jimmy to stay, but weren’t moving from Brady until the time was right (he opts into retirement, or his play falls off). Bill has said more than once that he felt their QB situation was the best in the league and wished to sustain it for as long as possible, but it just wasn’t realistic given Jimmy’s desire to play.

Archived