2021-2022 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

I didn't see one. 

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/Sources-Miami-OC-Rhett-Lashlee-is-favorite-for-SMU-job-if-Sonny-Dykes-heads-to-TCU-176093678/

The mind by the record-setting offense for SMU in 2019 is the frontrunner to take over the head coaching job, if Sonny Dykes in fact leave for TCU, where he has an offer to be the coach of the Horned Frogs. Miami offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is the target for SMU as the program circles the wagons to potentially replace Dykes, sources told 247Sports.

OOOF!

USC
Florida
LSU
Washington
Virginia Tech
TCU
Washington State
Akron
Troy
Florida International

These are the open jobs as of now I believe, might be missing some but they are the top ones.  

Guys who are current head coaches that could potentially move and are top of the line candidates for a bigger school.

Dave Aranda: Baylor HC
Matt Campbell: Iowa State HC
Jeff Brohm: Purdue HC
Dave Doeren: NC State HC
Jay Norvell: Nevada HC

Guys who are currently assistants who could become head coaches.  

Marcus Freeman:  Notre Dame DC
Dan Lanning: Georgia DC
Larry Johnson: Ohio State DL/AHC
Brian Hartline: Ohio State WRC
Tem Lukabu: Boston College DC
Kevin Wilson: Ohio State OC

Guys who were head coaches but fired and will most likely find another job and most likely as a head coach if they want.  

Dan Mullen: Florida HC
Gary Patterson: TCU HC
Justin Fuente: Virginia Tech HC
Jimmy Lake: Washington HC

Here are some recent hires, Don Brown that is great that he is getting a chance to be a HC, and glad Jim Mora is back in the game.  Also interesting Clay Helton is getting another shot, Lunsford was good on Georgia Southern before the pandemic, had 8-5, 7-6 and 10-3 season records which is not awful for a school that is nothing great he had some good years.  

Texas Tech: Matt Wells OUT.  Joey McGuire IN
UCONN: Randy Edsall OUT. Jim Mora IN
UMASS: Walt Bell OUT. Don Brown IN
Georgia Southern:  Chad Lunsford OUT.  Clay Helton IN

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Man. I really didn't think so, but this is why I am asking. 

With Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12, TCU has a chance, if they get this hire right, to be the big dog of the conference (though it'll likely end up being Poke). Washington has the west coast and the state itself has proven to be a pretty significant area for talent. I guess it's about par for the course recruiting wise since Virginia does have quite a significant amount of talent typically as well but both Washington and TCU face less resistance getting to the top of their conference than Va Tech would (Clemson). Oregon and Oklahoma State are good programs but they aren't Clemson.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Be curious to hear from you all. Rank these opportunities from best to worst. 

Virginia Tech
Washington 
TCU

Washington is nice but is a Pac-12 school, Seattle is cool and a bit city but hard to win consistently in college football in a large city.  It is a good gig but Pac-12 is barely on TV quite honestly, Virginia Tech is out East and have a outstanding fan base and history.  With the right coach I would say that is the best job out of those three.

I don't think TCU is that great of a gig, they are just a bit above Texas Tech, they will still have to compete with Baylor and if Aranda stays no way they beat him out on recruits.  Not to mention having to compete with the SEC and A&M/Texas.  Will also now have to compete with Houston for recruits and TCU is Gary Patterson and changing their brand/image will be hard to do.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

That is outstanding!  I thought they were going to fire him, dude has done well this year I thought considering.  They lost what could be the defensive rookie of the year in the NFL in Parsons and also Freiermuth, Toney and Oweh on the edge.  Yet still they have arguably the best D in the conference or a D right up there with arguably anyone in the nation.  Glad they kept him.  There are 13 black head coaches in FBS this year out of 130 schools.  

Here is a run down of black assistant coaches in college by position and conference.  Apparently to some the only position black coaches can coach is running back?  Pretty sad situation and it has been going on for years and nothing has really changed.

POSITION SEC ACC-* BIG 12 PAC-12 BIG TEN TOTAL
Head Coach 0 1 0 5 4 10
Off. Coordinator 0 1 1 1 2 5
Co-OC 1 0 1 1 3 6
Def. Coordinator 3 4 0 0 0 7
Co-DC 0 2 1 3 2 8
Special Teams Coord. 2 3 2 2 1 10
Assistant STC 0 1 0 0 0 1
Strength/Conditioning 3 2 2 4 2 13
Associate Head Coach 4 1 5 1 1 12
Asst. Head Coach 2 1 1 1 4 9
Passing Coord. 2 2 2 2 0 8
Passing DC 0 1 0 0 0 1
Running Coord. 1 1 1 0 2 5
Running DC 0 1 1 0 0 2
Running Backs Coach 11 11 8 9 10 49

Obviously though most athletic directions are white men and most if not all the boosters in every program are rich white men, so that is who they are trying to impress and relate to when hiring, someone like themselves I guess.  

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Be curious to hear from you all. Rank these opportunities from best to worst. 

VT
UW
TCU

I was going to go with UW at one just due to Seattle and not having any competition in the conference minus UO, but VT has a similar situation. Don't think the pressure is as high there either as a UW is. TCU is... fine? I'm interested to see who they are without Patterson.

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Guys who are current head coaches that could potentially move and are top of the line candidates for a bigger school.

Dave Aranda: Baylor HC
Matt Campbell: Iowa State HC
Jeff Brohm: Purdue HC
Dave Doeren: NC State HC
Jay Norvell: Nevada HC

Add Billy Napier to that list.

Any NFL assistants that could conceivably come down? 
Could a USC, Florida, LSU throw enough at Bieniemy or Joe Brady, or are they straight NFL focused now? 
Would a Bieniemy hire on a college campus bring too much blowback in 2021, or is that all behind him enough to offer him the deal it would take to make him the lead guy at a P5 school?