2021-2022 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

Just now, BofaDeez54927 said:

Kelly doesn't have to deal with academics in the same way in Baton Rouge. Probably thought he hit his ceiling in South Bend in today's game. And the ****load of money they're giving him is always a plus. 

But man, that just screams terrible culture fit.

just win, baby.

Urban Meyer and Nick Saban weren't culture fits either.

What a crazy week, absolutely incredible.  So latest rumor is Sonny Dykes has not been officially named at TCU because there is strong interest from Oklahoma.  The last swerve like this was Manny Diaz going to Temple, then Richt retires and he goes back to Miami.  Wow!!

Edited by ravishingone

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Golden Tate was a really nice 2nd Round pick, and Michael Floyd was not up to that level, while being a nice college player. Compare that to the 4 guys Alabama has had over the last two years, not to mention their duo this year, or guys that Clemson, Ohio State, and LSU have produced, and that's what I'm saying I guess. There's a difference between "solid" and "elite" as prospects. ND has put out some ELITE TE, OL, and LB or S types, whereas their CB and offensive skill positions on the outside (and in the backfield) haven't been on that level.

A very good WR, without a doubt, and I wanted him in Cleveland last year. However, he's not an elite athlete.

No

I did mean to put the TE position in there but forgot; you are correct

QB and RB as well

Yes, the EDGE guys (I've liked some of their interior guys) and DB are very lacking. They've had some decent linebackers.

I believe that ND is very comparable to Wisconsin on defense. Well coached, physical, has produced some very quality Front 7 guys (albeit not the Watt brothers for ND whereas ND's interior DL is better), and the secondary hasn't ever been up to that elite status. I loved Love as a CB, but he isn't/wasn't that elite athlete that some of these other schools have.

I think that their WR and secondary, as well as obviously QB and RB, aren't what a lot of these other schools are/have had. 

Claypool is absolutely an elite athlete, go look at his Combine numbers--or better yet, his RAS.

And I'm just comparing them on a college/prospect level. Floyd for instance never lived up to his promise in the pros, but it wasn't about his talent.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I could be wrong, and it's ancient history now, but didn't Kelly do that with Cincy too back when he took the ND job to begin with? 

Sure did!

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Brian Kelly might be really close to the best pure football coach in college football. Some people are seriously sleeping on this guy. The guy is now chasing a national title and I give him a very decent shot of getting it done. No way in hell did I think they could pull something like this off but this is an elite hire.

Come on man, Nick Saban has coached circles around him the two times they've faced off. Kelly's been great for Notre Dame for the past decade, but by far the best thing he's done here is identify talent that fits his system even when the recruiting sites aren't high on those players.

50 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

just win, baby.

Urban Meyer and Nick Saban weren't culture fits either.

I think Saban absolutely was. Knowing what we know about Meyer now, are you sure about that?

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Sure did!

Come on man, Nick Saban has coached circles around him the two times they've faced off. Kelly's been great for Notre Dame for the past decade, but by far the best thing he's done here is identify talent that fits his system even when the recruiting sites aren't high on those players.

I think Saban absolutely was. Knowing what we know about Meyer now, are you sure about that?

Kelly never had the talent, that's just the truth. How many 5 stars does ND sign compared to Bama? Yeah lets see what he does with all those 5 stars at LSU. 

9 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Kelly never had the talent, that's just the truth. How many 5 stars does ND sign compared to Bama? Yeah lets see what he does with all those 5 stars at LSU. 

Notre Dame had the No. 9 recruiting class last year. They're currently between 2 and 4 for the 2022 recruiting cycle. They are consistently among the top 10 or close to it every single year. They haven't been worse than 18th since 2005.

Does LSU recruit better? Absolutely, not disputing that. But it isn't some sort of massive difference. We're not talking about Cincinnati here. The Irish have proven they can hang with a team like, say, Georgia or Clemson. The fact that they don't hang with those teams in the postseason speaks more to the coaching than the talent in my opinion because it shows that one team was more prepared than the other.

Edited by Blue

28 minutes ago, Blue said:

Claypool is absolutely an elite athlete, go look at his Combine numbers--or better yet, his RAS.

Any time I think of RAS I think of Barkevius Mingo...or Zeus Brown Jr...I can't do it anymore but I understand your point. 

28 minutes ago, Blue said:

And I'm just comparing them on a college/prospect level. Floyd for instance never lived up to his promise in the pros, but it wasn't about his talent.

Fair. I never viewed Floyd as an elite athlete, albeit I did like him coming out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Getting 5*s and actually developing them are two different things, its going to be interesting to see who he gets as his coordinators/position coaches because those are the guys who will be cultivating the talent.

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Any time I think of RAS I think of Barkevius Mingo...or Zeus Brown Jr...I can't do it anymore but I understand your point. 

Fair. I never viewed Floyd as an elite athlete, albeit I did like him coming out.

Agreed, he was a good athlete but not the type that would be viewed as a gamebreaker 

No one could have predicted what Saban's resume would become after his tenure at Michigan State.  Interesting to speculate if Saban signs Brees over Culpepper, does he even end up at Bama?  My point Kelly is going to a program with built in recruiting advantages then his previous job.  Not suggesting he'll even win one National Championship.  However, for the money offered and the program, he made the right decision for him professionally, IMO. Yes, it sucks for the player at ND in every way possible.