2022 off season

Pastor Dillon

As much as I love to watch our team on Sundays... can't wait for the offseason!

It's going to be interesting to see how Caserio wants to build this roster. I think that we should expect a new OC after this season. Kelly hasn't been as good as he needed to be to keep his job in my opinion. I could see Pep taking over as OC or Culley brining in somebody else. 

Obviously we are in need of a franchise QB but at least in November nobody seems high on the QB class. I'd rather pass and go another season to see if Mills makes a jump from year one to two. If he doesn't progress then we will probably have the draft capital (from Deshaun) to take a guy in 2023.

RB I agree is a big need and someone in the 2-3 round would be great. My biggest issue with the team is the same issue we had last season we can't run the ball. Our offensive line on paper should be solid... albeit injuries have derailed the starting group with Tunsil, Britt, Cannon all on IR. But we didn't run the ball well with those guys on the field either. Sharping has regressed to a backup role and Howard is a work in progress as a guard. We need to upgrade the interior of the offensive line. We need more of a push from the OL (people movers), but obviously the success of the run game isn't just on the OL it's also on the OC,TE,RB, and even WR when brought in to block. TE is also a legit need of the team Akins, Brown, Auclair all free agents after the season so I expect we will resign one/two of those guys draft one to compliment Jordan (who could end up a solid pro).

I think priority number 1 for the offense/team is figuring out a way to run the ball effectively. We need an established run game so that if we do take a rookie in 2023 that he at least has a stable run game to take pressure off. 

• Like 1

The beauty of this offseason is we legit have needs at every position. There's not a single position we can say "nah, we're good". I would really like it if we took 2 RBs this draft and kept 1 veteran as a backup. I also don't want us to force a QB if we don't have a great option in the draft. I'd much rather run it back with Mills/Taylor next season if we don't have any other options. I'd like to start in the trenches and work our way back out from there. 

On 11/24/2021 at 7:32 PM, OzzyTexan said:

I think priority number 1 for the offense/team is figuring out a way to run the ball effectively.

Honestly? This starts by firing James Campen. We all thought that the OL would improve with a change from Mike Devlin - and the opposite has happened, this unit has gotten considerably worse (with pretty much the exact same guys). 

Campen may have a resume, but it's not showing. At least Devlin could get this unit to run block effectively, this unit can't even get that right.

Drop big bucks on Tom Cable or use those NE ties to talk Dante Scarneccia out of retirement. This unit is a disaster right now and it's simply overpaid/overly invested in to be this bad.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

At least Devlin could get this unit to run block effectively, this unit can't even get that right.

I agree that Campen's unit has underwhelmed, but Devlin's unit was just as bad in the run game. We were 31st in the NFL in rushing in 2020, and we're currently sitting at 32nd in 2021 with a pathetic 3.2 YPC. Wasn't far to fall lol. I don't know that getting rid of Campen is the right thing to do, but running the football has been an issue with this team for a while. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The only free agent we have next year that’s worth spending on is Reid. We need to resign him and keep him a Texan.

Doubtful either party will want to re-sign after a suspension/healthy scratch today...

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The only free agent we have next year that’s worth spending on is Reid. We need to resign him and keep him a Texan. Jamie Martin is also a free agent and for the right price I’d keep him but with Greenard and a potential top pick at DE, he’s a situational player at best. 

Maliek Collins has proven to be one of our top signings as has Kamu Grugier-Hill. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The only free agent we have next year that’s worth spending on is Reid. We need to resign him and keep him a Texan. Jamie Martin is also a free agent and for the right price I’d keep him but with Greenard and a potential top pick at DE, he’s a situational player at best. 

i think after what happened today Reid is definitely leaving this organization. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

well... duh

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/50649/david-culley

I tried to cut & paste the Tweet, but it disappeared

I'm still assuming David Culley is coming back... because culture.

I never thought I'd say this, but Bill O'Brien was a better HC than this guy. You have to be a special brand of bad to be worse than BoB.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm still assuming David Culley is coming back... because culture.

I never thought I'd say this, but Bill O'Brien was a better HC than this guy. You have to be a special brand of bad to be worse than BoB.

BoB was arrogant; Culley is clueless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

BoB was arrogant; Culley is clueless

Culley is clueless, but a lot of his attempts at being authoritative come off as very disingenuous. He is using his title to reinforce his title - his actions mean nothing, he has no ground to stand on outside of the title of HC.

First few weeks, it holds ground. But, it's most certainly falling apart right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

well... duh

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/50649/david-culley

I tried to cut & paste the Tweet, but it disappeared

So this Caserio interview on 610 is getting some buzz - the obvious David Culley angle is the chunky peanut butter, but it was also very telling that Caserio distanced himself from the standard "culture" talk, and that he was pretty adamant that he's in charge. (He was also very quick to shoot down that "Jeff Driskel is a Lamar Jackson type athlete" stuff from a few weeks back).

John Lopez and Landry Locker are associating this to Caserio distancing himself from Jack Easterby.

Could it be true? Who knows. I guess we're going to see... but Caserio killing off both Culley and Easterby this off-season would give me some cautious optimism. I wouldn't buy back in - Cal is still here, so it's a matter of when things get sideways again - but it would be optimism, even if it's slight and fleeting.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:30 PM, ET80 said:

So this Caserio interview on 610 is getting some buzz - the obvious David Culley angle is the chunky peanut butter, but it was also very telling that Caserio distanced himself from the standard "culture" talk, and that he was pretty adamant that he's in charge. (He was also very quick to shoot down that "Jeff Driskel is a Lamar Jackson type athlete" stuff from a few weeks back).

John Lopez and Landry Locker are associating this to Caserio distancing himself from Jack Easterby.

Could it be true? Who knows. I guess we're going to see... but Caserio killing off both Culley and Easterby this off-season would give me some cautious optimism. I wouldn't buy back in - Cal is still here, so it's a matter of when things get sideways again - but it would be optimism, even if it's slight and fleeting.

haven't you been fooled enough.

We all know the culture will remain and that our top 3 pick despite great players at other positions of need and the clear reach will be Malik Willis

• Like 1